Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 2001 Lakers vs 2013 Heat

Repeating my earlier comments, Heat in 5. Two of the three best players are on the Lakers, and Shaq would destroy the front line by himself. I mean the Heat's bigs would literally all foul out trying to stop him. And Kobe in 2001 was a legit defensive stopper and would cause 2013 Wade all kinds of problems on both sides of the ball. Role players are a wash, but Shaq is the difference here. The Heat simply have no counter for him, even if we agree that 2013 Lebron neutralizes Kobe's output.

Different eras, different game.

College superstar

Lakers in 4 or 5. Shaq would put up nearly 40/20 a game against Miami's front court and Kobe puts up about 30+/5/5 a game.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 05-31-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    Depends on the rules. If the refs let Shaq elbow people in the face and then call touch fouls for him on the other end, then Lakers will probably win it in 6.
    lol this .. refs let shaq get away with murder .. it was ridiculous

Decent college freshman

This type of thread is all speculation, and you can only find out how a team fares against another if they play.Until then its speculation, because they never faced each other.

People going on shaq would destroy the heat, but how would shaq fare defensively? I never thought shaq was all that defensively in pick and rolls or rim protection.

Overall, I think Kobe/shaq played together 8 years and won 3 titles. I think Wade/Lebron will beat that, in 4 years they already won 2..and have as many final appearances as kobe/shaq in 8 years

Quote Originally Posted by francesco totti

Overall, I think Kobe/shaq played together 8 years and won 3 titles. I think Wade/Lebron will beat that, in 4 years they already won 2..and have as many final appearances as kobe/shaq in 8 years
    that's not really the fairest of comparisons though .. a few of those years, kobe was still young and developing .. once he reached another level, then they racked off 4 consecutive appearances just like miami's done .. I'm sure they would've added a couple more appearances at the very least, if not titles also had shaq stayed

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    that's not really the fairest of comparisons though .. a few of those years, kobe was still young and developing .. once he reached another level, then they racked off 4 consecutive appearances just like miami's done .. I'm sure they would've added a couple more appearances at the very least, if not titles also had shaq stayed
    I highly doubt, while you argue those years kobe was young and developing...the next years after 2004 Shaq had huge decline in level.
    ( his downhill actually started with the lakers in 2004 when he lost with Payton/Malone/Kobe).

Banned

Shaq would get his points but Miami would exploit him defensively. Shaq aint guarding Bosh on the perimeter. Lebron has historically dominated Kobe so I think Lebron easily gets the best of that battle. When you look past that Miami has better role players and have great defense. I could see them denying Shaq the ball and being successful in limiting his domination.

Whoever has homecourt wins in 7.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Shaq would get his points but Miami would exploit him defensively. Shaq aint guarding Bosh on the perimeter. Lebron has historically dominated Kobe so I think Lebron easily gets the best of that battle. When you look past that Miami has better role players and have great defense. I could see them denying Shaq the ball and being successful in limiting his domination.

Whoever has homecourt wins in 7.
    Nope. '01 Kobe > '13 Wade. '01 Shaq would completely obliterate Miami's front line. Fish and Horry knock down shots from the outside. Rick Fox matches up with Bron. Phil > Spoelstra. '01 Shaq and Kobe were the greatest duo in NBA history once they were on the same page that year and the 2 best players in the playoffs that year. They would plain out steam roll Miami's trio.

Lakers in 4 or 5. Diesel easily wins MVP.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 05-31-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Banned

LeBron would shut Shaq down rather easily tbh

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Heat are a small ball team built to beat the teams in this weak era of centers. If Shaq was in the league, Riley would have built his team differently

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    Different eras, different game.
    Doesn't matter. The league is not 'that' different between 2001 and 2013 to a degree where Shaqs dominance is going to be lessened. The reality is that 2013 heat barely beat teams( Spurs and Pacers) that were inferior to the 2001 Lakers, if freakin Roy Hibbert can look like a legit force against the Heat frontline, what the hell would prime Shaq do?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco totti
    I highly doubt, while you argue those years kobe was young and developing...the next years after 2004 Shaq had huge decline in level.
    ( his downhill actually started with the lakers in 2004 when he lost with Payton/Malone/Kobe).
    Shaq was a legit mvp candidate in 2005, and still good enough in 2006 to be a legit contender if paired with 2006 Kobe and the right pieces around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Lebron and Kobe are not going to defend each other anyways...
    i can see them spending some time on eachother if they are both in their primes.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

which era? they might call shaq for offensive fouls in this era