Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default '84-'87 Boston Celtics vs '11-'14 Miami Heat

Both teams made the Finals 4 straight years, which team is greater?

Default Re: '84-'87 Boston Celtics vs '11-'14 Miami Heat

Both teams? That's 8 different teams right there, I mean Celtics were different in 1984 and in 1986 (when they won), even in 86 and 87, similar stuff for the Heat.

1986 Celtics certainly on top there, arguably the GOAT team, and would beat any Heat team.

1984 C's were younger, had better perimeter defense and athleticism, than in 86, but not as great overall D nor as great O, Bird was doing more "carrying" and going buckwild though... Terrific team nontheless, and beat a better team than the Heat, in the Finals.

Talking about strictly the Finals (which is important here), best Miami team would stand great chances against the 1985 and 1987 Celtics, in these scenarios they would probably win... In the 1985 Finals, Bird had hand and elbow injury, couldn't give his best, Cornbread was injured and a non-factor, Ainge was not in his prime yet, Henderson was traded for a 1st round pick (Bias)... In the 1987 Finals, Celtics reached there beat up after really gruelsome series, McHale on a broken foot, Parish and Ainge with issues, team getting old, virtually no bench, Bird wasn't 100%... I ain't seeing MIA beating 1984 Celtics though, and no chance against 1986

Love Live Life

Can we get a roster?

Good college starter

The team that didn't do it in the weakest era in the post-Jordan times.

The team who played in a "Golden Era" where most of the top teams had multiple all-stars/HOFs. The team that at the very least had ON OTHER team (the Lakers) that were worthy adversaries and as stacked as they were.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    The team that didn't do it in the weakest era in the post-Jordan times.

The team who played in a "Golden Era" where most of the top teams had multiple all-stars/HOFs. The team that at the very least had ON OTHER team (the Lakers) that were worthy adversaries and as stacked as they were.
    This is now and pretty much always.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I think the Celtics beat better teams overall. The Eastern conference was tougher back then.

The 84 Lakers team is probably better than any team that the Heat face in terms of talent.

The 85 Celtics beat the 76ers and the a young Pistons team. The 85 and 86 Celts were pretty stacked. And the 86 Celts maybe one of the GOAT teams.

And the 87 Celts team also faced against another one of the GOAT teams with 87 Lakers. And the 85 Lakers were also better than any team the Heat faced so far.

In terms of who would beat each other in a seven game series?

Well...I think the Celts are a horrible matchup to the Heat because of their frontline. The Celts have arguably the GOAT frontline. LBJ would have to play at of his mind I would think, and he probably could.

Mchale would probably guard LBJ. Mchale is a worthy defender since he guarded guys like Wilkins, Worthy, B.King and stuff while Bird would guard the PFs or the weakest link on the team. So, he'll guard guys like Haslem or Bosh. I don't think Mchale could guard LBJ effectively, but I dunno. Mchale just could beg him to shoot similar to what the Spurs did, and it maybe unwise to take Mchale to the post. He had the footwork to keep up with guys like Wilkins and Worthy off the dribble as well, amazingly enough.

But this is the problem. One of the the Heat's strength is play small ball to spread them the frontline apart. But the Celts are very good rebounders on their team. You got Bird who is a better rebounder than anyone one Heat, Parish, Mchale, and Walton coming off the bench. They would probably suffer on the offensive end with the rebounds and they may not get many offensive rebounds either.

The Celts are also a very good fast break team and one of the best passing team in NBA history. The Heat aren't bad themselves tho. LeBron and D-Wade are a killer. One of the things that the Heat could do is double in the post. They are very quick to go back to cover the shooters. While the Celts do have a lot of shooters, they don't really ultize the 3pt shot that well. They had the potential to, I think. With Ainge, Bird, Wedman, and Sichting. The Heat have more, so they could spread the Celts out like I said earlier.

Now, if the Celts could protect the paint with Parish, Mchale, and Walton, then it'll be hard for the Heat to overcome. But it depends on the rules. Like Mchale would probably be a better defender guarding the perimeter players in the 80s than he would in the 10s. The Celts could protect the paint slightly better in the 80s than in the 10s probably. But I dunno. The zone defense could help them out a lot.

It depends on the Heat defense. And it also depends on which Celtics team. I'm just assuming it'll be the 86 against the current team. The Celts were different team from 84-87.

tldr version:
    Parish, Mchale, and Bird would eat the Heat's frontline alive.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk
    This is now and pretty much always.
    The Heat have 4 HOFs, which is comparable to the Lakers/Celtics of those times. What other team besides the Heat/Spurs has more than 2 HOFs?

Very good NBA starter

Is this a joke?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Is this a joke?
    Just thought it would be cool to make this thread since these are the only teams from the eastern conference to make the Finals 4 straight years since the 60's Celtics. Lakers made it four straight '82-'85.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku

Mchale would probably guard LBJ. Mchale is a worthy defender since he guarded guys like Wilkins, Worthy, B.King and stuff while Bird would guard the PFs or the weakest link on the team. So, he'll guard guys like Haslem or Bosh. I don't think Mchale could guard LBJ effectively, but I dunno. Mchale just could beg him to shoot similar to what the Spurs did, and it maybe unwise to take Mchale to the post. He had the footwork to keep up with guys like Wilkins and Worthy off the dribble as well, amazingly enough.
    Yea, on that 1986 squad McHale would most likely guard Lebron, Kevin was pretty tall with really long arms, very good shotblocker, smart, great defender with good footwork like you've said, especially for his size, guarded some great offensive players on the perimeter yes, and true, he could also give some space to prevent the drive (if Bron didn't start to get hot from distance); another good option would be DJ though, at that point he wasn't as quick or athletic as in his younger days, not only because of age but more because he had put on considerable weight, so he was stronger and handled lots of big players (better), and still a great defender (think of J Kidd guarding Bron), we've seen James being defended by guys of that size or smaller and not even as good of defenders. Wedman, off the bench, would be solid because of his body and strength.

In 1984 Lebron would be guarded by Maxwell though, rotating with Bird and McHale when he was off the bench. At that point, Cornbread was the one who used to guard the best SF's, mostly (in the early 80's it was him or Bird though, probably Larry more)...
    And like I've said, that 84 squad was younger, more athletic and better defensively on the perimeter with DJ, Henderson, Maxwell, Buckner, McHale, Bird who was better there, also had Ainge; they weren't as good overall defensively as in 86, less paint protection, worse overall offensively also with Bird having to carrying them more, but that defensive pressure on the perimeter would be great against the Heat, plus offense was still great with great individual players and Larry going buckwild. No chance against the 1986 Celtics, and I really can't see them winning against the 1984 squad. In 1985 and 1987, I can see MIA getting the win, IF the C's were in the same "conditions" as it happened in the Finals back then.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

01 Lakers >

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

celtics had a better team
    they probably had the goat team tbh

I didn't see those Celtics team, probably like most people who will give their opinion about the matter.

I trust Micku's opinion since he's one of the more reasonable people on these boards.
    Last edited by jstern; 05-30-2014 at 11:22 PM.

The one with LeGod!

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I didn't see those Celtics team, probably like most people who will give their opinion about the matter.
    Then watch some some vids. You can get an idea of how they play if you watch several games.

Their passing was great. It's amazing how Mchale and Parish would lead in the fastbreak sometimes. And Mchale was amazing in the post. He could also hit a jumper too.