Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How did the 2004 Pistons win the chamion

They won by winning 16 games in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Who else did they have to worry about? be honest here, Gary Payton couldn't figure out the triangle and was old, Malone was old playing on a bum ankle until he was just out and Shaq was out of shape all year.

All they had to defend was Kobe wit double teams and they had it.
    Kobe just flat out sucked that series. Perhaps he was the guy who the Pistons worried about most, but at the end of the day, Shaq averaged 26 points in the Finals, so they had to worry about him too.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Kobe just flat out sucked that series. Perhaps he was the guy who the Pistons worried about most, but at the end of the day, Shaq averaged 26 points in the Finals, so they had to worry about him too.

Empty stats bro.

Ben Wallace was shutting that boy down.

I watched that entire series cringing.

Now I ain't saying Kobe didn't try to play hero ball, but he was all they had that year by the time finals came around.

And don't knock the great Job Tyshawn Prince did defensively , it was great defense by the entire team.

Shaq was the best player in that series, but Kobe wanted to win his first Finals MVP. and he costs his team an NBA championship just like Lebron in 2011 and Manu in 2013.. Great defense by the Pistons, but Shaq still averaged 27 ppg on 63 FG% against them.

Ohh the defense

COMPLETELY shut down everybody outside of Shaq, they had a gameplan of letting Shaq/Kobe get theirs, while the rest is locked up. Luckily, in addition, Kobe laid a huge egg, which sealed the deal. Otherwise g1&g4 were kind of winnable.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Huh? Did you watch that series??

Kobe received single coverage and was locked the **** down by Tayshaune Prince and Rip Hamilton

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    The Lakers had the two best individual players in the series, but Detroit was deeper and worked as a unit better.
    Kobe wasn't one of the best 10 players on the floor in this series. Maybe 15.

If he had sprained his ankle on the opening tip of G1 LAL would have been better off. I really don't pile on Kobe for much but the 04 series was far worse in my estimation than LeBron's 11 series. LeBron backed down to play a versatile supporting role, which is embarrassing for the best player on earth. Kobe literally said with his play that he didn't care if they won if he wasn't going to be the FMVP. Shaq shot 63% for the series and as good as Wallace was he simply couldn't defend prime Shaq. Time and time again Kobe shook off Shaq to throw up a contested 24 footer. He shot .381//174 and took 39 more FGA. Just look at some of the box scores. G4 Lakers looking to tie the series and Shaq goes 36/20 on >76% from the field. Rather than feed the beast, Kobe shoots 32% and takes 25 FGA (4 more than Shaq). I don't think there has ever more selfish basketball played. Ever.

yes, OP. We all know Kobe chucked that series. Is this the answer you are looking for? Are you happy now?

Defense.
    Also, helped a lot the fact that Kobe had only one good game.

Game 1 was 10 of 27 (37%) - L
    Game 2 was 14 of 27 (52%) - W
    Game 3 was 4 of 13 (30%) - L
    Game 4 was 8 of 24 (32%) - L
    Game 5 was 7 of 21 (33%) - L

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

that team bball

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Empty stats bro.

Ben Wallace was shutting that boy down.

I watched that entire series cringing.

Now I ain't saying Kobe didn't try to play hero ball, but he was all they had that year by the time finals came around.
    Hmm, I watch that series on tape a time or two each year (Detroit Pistons fan here, reliving the glory days). "Ben Wallace is shutting down Shaq" was never a sentence that really came to mind. Ben's one of my all-time favorites, but Shaq more or less had his way with him whenever he received the ball in the post.

Now, as I mentioned in the other thread about this series from a week ago, for some reason the Lakers moved away from O'Neal as the game progressed forward. Some say it's because O'Neal wore himself out early. Some say Kobe Bryant was trying to get his. Some say it was just poor game planning. Either way, I feel the only thing that really stopped O'Neal from averaging 40 a night in the Finals that year was his lack of post touches after the first quarter. It was like the Pistons were banking on the Lakers getting bored of dumping it inside.

[QUOTE=Rake2204]Hmm, I watch that series on tape a time or two each year (Detroit Pistons fan here, reliving the glory days). "Ben Wallace is shutting down Shaq" was never a sentence that really came to mind. Ben's one of my all-time favorites, but Shaq more or less had his way with him whenever he received the ball in the post.

Now, as I mentioned in the other thread about this series from a week ago, for some reason the Lakers moved away from O'Neal as the game progressed forward. Some say it's because O'Neal wore himself out early. Some say Kobe Bryant was trying to get his. Some say it was just poor game planning. Either way, I feel the only thing that really stopped O'Neal from averaging 40 a night in the Finals that year was his lack of post touches after the first quarter. It was like the Pistons were banking on the Lakers getting bored of dumping it inside.[QUOTE]

I love reading your posts. You are always been an objective basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Hmm, I watch that series on tape a time or two each year (Detroit Pistons fan here, reliving the glory days). "Ben Wallace is shutting down Shaq" was never a sentence that really came to mind. Ben's one of my all-time favorites, but Shaq more or less had his way with him whenever he received the ball in the post.

Now, as I mentioned in the other thread about this series from a week ago, for some reason the Lakers moved away from O'Neal as the game progressed forward. Some say it's because O'Neal wore himself out early. Some say Kobe Bryant was trying to get his. Some say it was just poor game planning. Either way, I feel the only thing that really stopped O'Neal from averaging 40 a night in the Finals that year was his lack of post touches after the first quarter. It was like the Pistons were banking on the Lakers getting bored of dumping it inside.

Because he was out of shape.

Good college starter

Kobetards spreading their propaganda in this thread to prop up Kobe again. Yeah, Shaq who scored 27 ppg on 63% had empty stats. I'm sure Kobe's 23 ppg on 38% had way more impact

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    Kobetards spreading their propaganda in this thread to prop up Kobe again. Yeah, Shaq who scored 27 ppg on 63% had empty stats. I'm sure Kobe's 23 ppg on 38% had way more impact
    You sure throwing that 63% out there all tough like the Ni99a didn't play two feet away from the basket.

You guys must be too young to remember what Shaq looked like that year.