Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo's offensive arsenal is the greatest the NBA has ever seen.

This is actually not true. Over the entire season and playoffs, Allen took 406 shots at the rim to Melo's 458, and 340 layups to Melo's 388. That is not that large of a difference considering the number of games played by both.

Contrast that to James who took 200 more shots at the rim than both, and >100 more layups, and converts at about 10-20% more than either. That shows how awful Melo is at finishing.
    Wow, devastating stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Wow, devastating stat.
    I know, I couldn't believe it myself. I knew Melo was a bad finisher, but that bad?

Even worse, look at this

Out of the 27 players who have attempted >300 layups in the regular season and playoffs, only ****ing Omer Asik has a worse eFG%.

I actually think it kills any argument that Melo is the 'best' scorer in the league. Versatility is apparently the best argument for him... but he is so poor around the rim.

Banned

Carmelo is nothing more than a fat overrated bloke who only ISO on the perimeter. Gets out of breathe as soon as he starts to play defense. He and The Knicks will never win a title.

Head at rim level you say yes? I say no. He is a talent scorer, but thats it. He surely isn't better than LeBron and Kobe. He's a little bit on Jordan level.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

It's too bad that to win, you need a defensive arsenal as well.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    Having a variety of mediocre options does not equal greatness
    Melo= overrated

Shaq is a far superior scorer than Melo ever has been and he scores in only one main way.

SCORING IS SCORING. Who the heck cares how you do it. Lebron is a 10000 times better scorer than Melo along with many other players.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    This is actually not true. Over the entire season and playoffs, Allen took 406 shots at the rim to Melo's 458, and 340 layups to Melo's 388. That is not that large of a difference considering the number of games played by both.

Contrast that to James who took 200 more shots at the rim than both, and >100 more layups, and converts at about 10-20% more than either. That shows how awful Melo is at finishing.
    Now that i wasnt aware of. Appreciate you correcting me.

I see your point here, and I have no problem with anyone choosing Melo. The thing is, I know that however poorly George is playing offensively, he will always provide elite perimeter defense night in night out. If Melo's shot isn't falling, he has the habit of continuing to shoot and shoot, and he can ultimately shoot his team out of the game and still be a blackhole on defense.
    Valid points.

all you ppl mentioning his assists. you guys sure you wanna see JR smith shoot more?

oh wait there is felton with 0 pts in game 6. theres also tyson chandler

Saw a basketball once

Yes, Carmelo is a bad finisher around the rim. But he's a underrated offensive rebounder who can follow his own miss. He tend to shoot the basketball soft, and anticipate where the basketball gonna be. U can see him shoot 2 to 3 times in one possession. That's why his FG% around the rim is so poor.

He might have the most offensive arsenal of all-time. But it doesn't matter. It not the point you can win the chip or not.

Carmelo have to be a two-way player, or at lest put the best defensive effort on his team.

I still believe he can win it all w/him been the MAN. But everything around him ,his teammates his coach, have to be perfect. And he have to play out of his mind like Dirk did in 2011.

LOL what?

MJ, is the greatest offensive weapon:

Bball Intelligence
    Quick Strike Mentality
    Jumper
    Free-Throw %
    Range (when given, not forced)
    Footwork
    Post Game
    Quick First Step
    Finish @ Rim (elusive, over the top, or through you)
    Pass the Rock
    Transition Nightmare
    Handle
    ISO moves
    Strength
    Speed
    Clutch Ability
    Off the Ball Game
    Slash Ability
    Catch and Shoot Ability
    Durability
    Dexterity
    Size (not too small, not too large and slow)
    Fundamentals
    Entertaining Swagger / Aesthetics

Greatest offensive talent EVER, he's the entire package. The perfect player, IMO. Players can have cases made for them, but none came together quite as nicely as Jordan.

He was basically like a melting pot of current stars we hype up so much: Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Durant, and VC. A combo of all these players. Frightening.

True Story

So great that he shoots 41% in the playoffs for his CAREER. WTF is the point of a "great scoring arsenal" if you're hurting your teams offense by chucking 26 shots to get 29 points while shooting below 40%?

To bad he sucks so much balls on defense and team play he will never accomplish anything.

Melo is a poor mans Elgin Baylor in terms of scoring versatility, and that's a HUGE compliment because his passing and rebounding and his overall abilities as an all around baller are not near as good as Elgin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXm31A9Zfc8

the title made my day, he can't even finish at the rim. and you say the greatest offensive arsenal ever?

Local High School Star

Just on top of my head easily better offensively than Melo...

Iverson back in his prime
    Tmac back in his good days
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Durant
    Jordan