Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt never increased his playoff scoring average in any single year of his career

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Weak era.
    And you know this how?

Default Re: Wilt never increased his playoff scoring average in any single year of his career

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    And you know this how?
    I've told you before. I'm an expert on Wilt Chamberlain. I've written a thesis paper on him and received an A+ on it in the 9th grade.

College superstar

And you know this how?
    watch the games. the league was in its infancy at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    watch the games. the league was in its infancy at the time.

By the mid-60's the NBA had been in existence for over 20 years. Not only that, but the GAME of basketball had been played for over 70 years. Not only that, but aside from the 24 second clock, and a few minor rules changes, the game was essentially being played the SAME way as it was 70 years before.

Of course, we have THE "bridge" Kareem, to confirm that. A PEAK Kareem shot .464 against a way past his prime Wilt in 28 H2H's, and a ghastly .447 against an aging full-time Thurmond in nearly 40 H2H games.

Kareem's high game against Thurmond? 34 points.

How about a 38-41 year old Kareem against Hakeem in 23 career H2H's... .607 (oh, and he outscored Hakeem in that same span, as well.) How about a 39-41 year old Kareem against Patrick Ewing? .567 (oh, and Kareem also outscored him, while holding him to a .446 FG%.)

Kareem's high game against Hakeem? 46 (as well as 43, and 40.) Against Ewing? 40 points (in a game in which he outscored Patrick, 40-9.)

How did Hakeem do against Shaq?
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 11-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.

By the mid-60's the NBA had been in existence for over 20 years. Not only that, but the GAME of basketball had been played for over 70 years. Not only that, but aside from the 24 second clock, and a few minor rules changes, the game was essentially being played the SAME way as it was 70 years before.

Of course, we have THE "bridge" Kareem, to confirm that. A PEAK Kareem shot .464 against a way past his prime Wilt in 28 H2H's, and a ghastly .447 against an aging full-time Thurmond in nearly 40 H2H games.

Kareem's high game against Thurmond? 34 points.

How about a 38-41 year old Kareem against Hakeem in 23 career H2H's... .607 (oh, and he outscored Hakeem in that same span, as well.) How about a 39-41 year old Kareem against Patrick Ewing? .567 (oh, and Kareem also outscored him, while holding him to a .446 FG%.)

Kareem's high game against Hakeem? 46 (as well as 43, and 40.) Against Ewing? 40 points (in a game in which he outscored Patrick, 40-9.)

How did Hakeem do against Shaq?
    i could average at least 20 points if i went up against 5'9 white guys.

Wilt is nothing more than a poor mans javale mcgee.

Banned

2/6

College superstar

By the mid-60's the NBA had been in existence for over 20 years.
    this is true - but the sport itself was still new to american athletics. you can point to wilt, kareem, oscar, baylor, west - whoever - individuals aren't what i mean by LEAGUE infancy. of course these players could play in just about any era, however the league they played in, as a whole, without question, was WEAK.

lack of perimeter skills, athleticism, international talent, racism and segregation in certain cities (which in turn, led to less black athletes participating--same thing with baseball) - all lead to a diluted talent pool.

people often ask: could wilt be a superstar in today's game? i always say...MAYBE - because not only is the league more athletic (and skilled), the rules are now geared towards perimeter and wing scoring.

this is true - but the sport itself was still new to american athletics. you can point to wilt, kareem, oscar, baylor, west - whoever - individuals aren't what i mean by LEAGUE infancy. of course these players could play in just about any era, however the league they played in, as a whole, without question, was WEAK.

lack of perimeter skills, athleticism, international talent, racism and segregation in certain cities (which in turn, led to less black athletes participating--same thing with baseball) - all lead to a diluted talent pool.

people often ask: could wilt be a superstar in today's game? i always say...MAYBE - because not only is the league more athletic (and skilled), the rules are now geared towards perimeter and wing scoring.
    So a 6-11 270 lb. Cousins, with nowhere Wilt's size, length, strength, or athleticism, can average a 23-12 in today's NBA...but a prime Chamberlain MIGHT be a star?

Same with both Jordan and Drummond, neither of whom are remotely close to Wilt in size, length, strengthm, athleticism, or skill. And Dwight, whom many consider to be the best center of this era, even shorter and smaller.

Yet, Wilt MIGHT be a superstar?

What do you think of Kareem, Reed, Bellamy, Russell, Thurmond, Lanier, and Gilmore? Scrubs?

So a 6-11 270 lb. Cousins, with nowhere Wilt's size, length, strength, or athleticism, can average a 23-12 in today's NBA...but a prime Chamberlain MIGHT be a star?

Same with both Jordan and Drummond, neither of whom are remotely close to Wilt in size, length, strengthm, athleticism, or skill. And Dwight, whom many consider to be the best center of this era, even shorter and smaller.

Yet, Wilt MIGHT be a superstar?

What do you think of Kareem, Reed, Bellamy, Russell, Thurmond, Lanier, and Gilmore? Scrubs?
    You take one of his statements and try to refute it... yet you ignore his very truthful main one about the league infancy... because you can't refute it.

Nice shielding.

Wilt would be the best center in the game. Or close. Not like we are in a strong big man era. He still has size, athleticism, and way more skill than most centers today.

Quote Originally Posted by Suguru101
    You take one of his statements and try to refute it... yet you ignore his very truthful main one about the league infancy... because you can't refute it.

Nice shielding.
    I already refuted it. No need to do so again.

Next time read thru the posts.

College superstar

run-of-the-mill allstar =/= superstar

wilt would be above average, i dont know if he would be lebron-dominant, however.

run-of-the-mill allstar =/= superstar

wilt would be above average, i dont know if he would be lebron-dominant, however.
    How do we know that Lebron would have been "Wilt-dominant" in Chamberlain's era?

College superstar

How do we know that Lebron would have been "Wilt-dominant" in Chamberlain's era?
    studying game tape. lebron is more skilled than any of the perimeter players i have seen from the 60s.

the thing with wilt is, ive actually seen better moves from cousins, drummond, and the gasol bros - they are visibly more skilled.