Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Victor Oladipo: A better Dwayne Wade

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The Magic were actually better in the 20 or so games that Oladipo didn't start. I think people who don't watch him much if at all (Western Conference fans) have a bit of a warped opinion of what they're getting.

There is absolutely no connection between what Dwyane Wade brings to a roster -- even now -- and what Oladipo can do. Dipo came into the league being touted as a "defensive stopper," or a guy who would be an All Defensive Team candidate pretty much right out of the gates.

The truth is, he has been pretty average defensively. He has a good motor and he brings good energy on that end... and he has pretty good length for the position, but he is no great defensive player. He's not a game-changer on that end.

Offensively, his problem is that there is nothing he does exceptionally well. He is an OK shooter, OK slasher... not a great finisher in traffic and not a great playmaker.

I don't want to sell him short. He's a pretty good player. I've always felt he is overrated though.

Dipo is more consistent than Dion Waiters, but when Waiters is focused and playing well, he's better than Oladipo, imo. So, they're essentially getting a more consistent guy with a lower ceiling. Waiters and Oladipo are comparable players.
    nah not really at all actually

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    nah not really at all actually
    I guess we'll find out. This is his chance to prove everyone who doubted him wrong. Feel free to bump the thread when/if that day comes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I guess we'll find out. This is his chance to prove everyone who doubted him wrong. Feel free to bump the thread when/if that day comes.
    Yea, but Waiters hasn't done anything yet either. He's clearly a worse defender and he's been unreliable to say the least as a person/player so far in his career.

He's also been pathetically inefficient. With a career 48.8% TS rate...which is just laughable for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive player.

Even if Oladipo isn't great...the bar is about as low as possible to be better than Waiters.

There is virtually nothing to suggest that Waiters has ever been as good as Oladipo was that past season.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Yea, but Waiters hasn't done anything yet either. He's clearly a worse defender and he's been unreliable to say the least as a person/player so far in his career.

He's also been pathetically inefficient. With a career 48.8% TS rate...which is just laughable for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive player.

Even if Oladipo isn't great...the bar is about as low as possible to be better than Waiters.

There is virtually nothing to suggest that Waiters has ever been as good as Oladipo was that past season.
    We'll see how efficient Oladipo is now that he doesn't have free rein of the offense or considered the primary weapon for the first time in his career. Waiters was a 51% TS player in his last full season with the Cavs as the second option ... not great, but comparable to Oladipo in his second season in Orlando as the first option (?).

Then, Waiters went to OKC and was given a very specific role in the offense, at which point his efficiency fell off a cliff. I'll be interested to see if Oladipo steps up into that role or if there are similarly inefficient results.

I just don't think he's ever going to be a consistent enough outside shooter to become what OKC needs from that spot, but I could be wrong.

We'll see how efficient Oladipo is now that he doesn't have free rein of the offense or considered the primary weapon for the first time in his career. Waiters was a 51% TS player in his last full season with the Cavs as the second option ... not great, but comparable to Oladipo in his second season in Orlando as the first option (?).

Then, Waiters went to OKC and was given a very specific role in the offense, at which point his efficiency fell off a cliff. I'll be interested to see if Oladipo steps up into that role or if there are similarly inefficient results.

I just don't think he's ever going to be a consistent enough outside shooter to become what OKC needs from that spot, but I could be wrong.
    Yea, but I'm not claiming that Oladipo is a drastically better offensive player than Waiters. I completely agree that they are pretty similar...although I do think Dipo is a smarter player.

The difference is that Dipo actually has the ability to really impact the game defensively. Now, I'm not saying he's some elite defensive force, but he will be an asset on defense for any team really. While Waiters is not a good defender...probably just a bad one given how he plays the game.

So two players similar on offense. One is a pretty darn good defender and a smarter player. The other is pretty darn stupid player and poor defender.

So far...you have to say Dipo has been the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Yea, but I'm not claiming that Oladipo is a drastically better offensive player than Waiters. I completely agree that they are pretty similar...although I do think Dipo is a smarter player.

The difference is that Dipo actually has the ability to really impact the game defensively. Now, I'm not saying he's some elite defensive force, but he will be an asset on defense for any team really. While Waiters is not a good defender...probably just a bad one given how he plays the game.

So two players similar on offense. One is a pretty darn good defender and a smarter player. The other is pretty darn stupid player and poor defender.

So far...you have to say Dipo has been the better player.
    Dipo has been the better player, yes. I'd argue he was drafted into a more conducive situation to fit his skillset than Dion, but no matter ... And he's definitely a more consistent defender, for sure. You can rely on him to bring energy and focus on that end. Waiters, when he is locked in and focused, can also be a good enough defender. For instance, he had some really nice defensive games in the playoffs.

It was actually a pretty major story for a little while.

OKC's defense by Dion Waiters and Andre Roberson are eroding the Spurs offense

Again, he showed those flashes in Cleveland, too. He even did more than "show flashes"... there was a long stretch during his second season wherein I thought he was our best perimeter defender.

So, I'm not so sure that when it really counts, like against the Spurs/Warriors in the playoffs, that Oladipo is going to be that much better than Waiters defensively, if at all... because Waiters was actually good for the most part in those moments.

What Dipo brings that is undeniable is consistency. Maybe OKC is to the point where they prefer that over having to push a guy to give that extra effort or it has to be a big playoff game to get going? If that's the case, they got it.

We'll have to disagree there. Oladipo has a much higher ceiling on defense than Waiters does imo. Also, that consistency matters even in the playoffs. A smarter player like Dipo that doesn't have as many lapses is going to see the court more. I'd imagine Dipo will play roughly 33 to 35 minutes a game for the Thunder in the playoffs. Those extra 6 to 8 minutes in and of themselves are valuable...

Having said that...I do agree that Waiters played very well for the Thunder in the playoffs this year. I'm just not sure I can put a lot of weight on that given what I've seen for his career to date.

Cavs were smart to get rid of him...and the Thunder are smart to replace him with Dipo if that is the choice.

I like Waiters on the Thunder though. If money didn't matter...I'd want both of them and I think it would work great. But obviously I'm assuming Waiters is gone like everyone else.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 06-30-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Once the postseason starts, Oladipo will be asked to play defense first and scoring will be second.

Billy Donovan..... "stick to Klay like glue at all times, Vic!!!!"