Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Peak Alonzo Mourning or Peak Dwight Howard

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    Dwight had a 45 point game, and he's only 24. He'll hit 50 sooner or later.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    Dwight is a christian, so no. He is not a cocky arrogant SOB..
    and yes he will smile and still dunk on your ass.
    It's called intensity. He instilled fear into his opponents. I still remember the shiner he gave pippen in the 97-98 playoffs where he just flattend him which pretty much lifted the whole heat team who won that game 3 but still lost the series.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

Conclusion- Howard may have had a more successful season, but I think Mourning was a little better due to his more polished game, that's really the difference here because it's close.
    I'm pretty sure everybody already thinks that. So basically you posted a bunch of stats and accomplishments only to state the complete obvious.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

When mourning came out of college he was truely a rookie in a mans world.
    MJ got into his head so much , that Zo had to work on his game as well as his mental makeup.

Howard came out of school , and showed immediately that he can be an impact player.
    Right now Howard has not reached his peak , because his team does not judicisly feed him the ball as the Lakers did with Shaq.
    ---------------
    Howards peak may never come unless he starts getting more touchs and his mental makeup changes as well.
    ==================
    I take mourning for a couple of reasons , he worked on his game to be a POWER player in a 6'10" build. His rebound prowls were under rated because many times I saw tip outs , box outs allowing other players to get the board.
    And finally two other legit reasons , HIS DEFENSE.
    Never in serious foul trouble in his peak , played most big men straight up , and he owns a ring.
    Tell me he was not important in that championship run , and you hav no idea what basketball is all about. The better play from Zo backing up Shaq , and team continuity.

IT's up to Howard to peak , demand the ball , and garner a ring as a champion.
    Last edited by Jasper; 08-29-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

I also truly believe that that the 1999/Lockout year MVP award belongs to Zo....Yes homer. Fvck Karl Malone's puss ass.

Very good NBA starter

I'd take the guy who was naturally a better offensive player, meaning he was more comfortable/expected to take closer to 15 or more shots a game, versus maybe 10-12 shots a game which I feel Howard is more prone to with Orlando still being a competitor. Shot blocking I feel is close to a wash, but I can't see Mourning in his peak being reduced to having a 1-6 FG game in the Finals against Pau and Bynum, even though I don't consider him an elite offensive player (he had his fair share of low scoring games too). Mourning had a usage-% of nearly 30% in that playoff run, and generally had a higher % (than Howard's playoff runs) in every post season prior to that. Mourning was also sharing boards with a solid big man in PJ Brown who averaged roughly 10 boards in the RS, and 8 boards in the post season. On Howard's team, there's really nobody even close to approaching those averages on rebounds, his starting PF averages about 5-7 three point attempts per game, and hangs around on the perimeter. I hate talking raw numbers though, it turns into more of a fantasy-debate (arguing over over miniscule differences in stats). Mourning I feel was just the better, smarter, more aggressive and tougher player, even if his team-results weren't wowing. Still though, he won a championship averaging over a block a game in about 10 minutes per at a pretty old age (which is irrelevant in this thread, but still an achievement).

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm going with Zo by a bit too.

The difference being that Zo could warp defenses more. They look pretty comparible by the numbers as far as offensive production goes, but Zo was more inclined to force you a double team. And more inclined to get you a hoop on his own. Howard is a much better rebounder, in fact Howard is a much better rebounder than all but about a half dozen players in the history of the league. But I actaully hold that against him a bit offensively. He's getting full offensive rebound more than Zo did over their careers. If he could demand the ball and wasn't free to attack the glass offensively that wouldn't be the case. And don't undervalue the fact that Zo was a competent FT shooter and Howard is awfull.

Defensively it's close, but I'd give the nod to Howard a bit. Zo was a monster patrolling the lane. Even moreso than Howard when it came to defending the rim. However it's close, and like I said, Howard is an all time rebounder, and the fact that Howard can be that good a rebounder and still go after blocks that aggressively is astounding.

He's got to get to the point where you can give him the ball when you need a bucket and he can get one regardless of what's thrown at him. In the end I'd take Zo's slightly larger advantage offensively over Howards slight edge defensively.

I don't even have to think for 5 seconds before I pick Zo. Zo had twice the heart that Dwight "Smiley" Howard has. Dwight doesn't want the pressure in the big game while Zo is the one putting the pressure on the other team in the big game.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    Dwight doesn't want the pressure in the big game while Zo is the one putting the pressure on the other team in the big game.
    Now this is just false, go look at OT of game 4 in the '09 ECF when he scored 10 points or game 6 when he set the tone by outrunning everyone, working harder for rebounds, demanding the ball and delivering with 40 points to send his team to the finals.

I pick Zo too, but big game performances are not an argument for him over Dwight.

Now this is just false, go look at OT of game 4 in the '09 ECF when he scored 10 points or game 6 when he set the tone by outrunning everyone, working harder for rebounds, demanding the ball and delivering with 40 points to send his team to the finals.

I pick Zo too, but big game performances are not an argument for him over Dwight.
    And what did he do against the Lakers ? Fold like a lawn chair and get dominated by Pau Gasol for half the series. He looked like he wanted to cry mid game. Sure he looked like a beast against Varejo and Zydrunas "My knees don't bend" Illgauskus, not so much against Pau Gasol. LOL Howard was supposed to be the beast and Pau the softie. Pau made Dwight his b*tch.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Zo is better, end of story.

Only reason Howard's numbers are the way they are, is because he goes up against nobodies and today's big men are all to busy trying to be small forwards instead of playing the post.

Most of Howard's game consists of he using his size and athleticism. And there isn't that many big men today anyway.

Like somebody mentioned, Zo was a leader and he'd rip your throat out if he had too. Meanwhile Howard would just smile.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    And what did he do against the Lakers ? Fold like a lawn chair and get dominated by Pau Gasol for half the series. He looked like he wanted to cry mid game. Sure he looked like a beast against Varejo and Zydrunas "My knees don't bend" Illgauskus, not so much against Pau Gasol. LOL Howard was supposed to be the beast and Pau the softie. Pau made Dwight his b*tch.
    Zo's number 1 seed Heat lost to the 8th seed Knicks and a 36 year old Ewing on one leg outplayed him in the deciding 5th game in Miami and Zo managed just 8 rpg for the series while a hobbled, old Ewing thoroughly outplayed him.

See how easy that is? Lets not act like Zo was just rolling through the playoffs and didn't have his disappointing games and series.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Zo is better, end of story.

Only reason Howard's numbers are the way they are, is because he goes up against nobodies and today's big men are all to busy trying to be small forwards instead of playing the post.

Most of Howard's game consists of he using his size and athleticism. And there isn't that many big men today anyway.

Like somebody mentioned, Zo was a leader and he'd rip your throat out if he had too. Meanwhile Howard would just smile.
    Howard's mental toughness is questionable. I think if he went head to head with Mourning he'd get intimidated. When Zo knew he was in your head he'd rip your heart out and eat it in front of you. I don't think Dwight would ever want this matchup.

Zo's number 1 seed Heat lost to the 8th seed Knicks and a 36 year old Ewing on one leg outplayed him in the deciding 5th game in Miami and Zo managed just 8 rpg for the series while a hobbled, old Ewing thoroughly outplayed him.

See how easy that is? Lets not act like Zo was just rolling through the playoffs and didn't have his disappointing games and series.
    Pat Ewing's heart >> Pau Gasol's heart

Losing to Ewing and getting punked by Gasol are totally different situations

Do you think Zo would ever get punked by Gasol ?
    Last edited by LAClipsFan33; 08-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.

seriously i don't understand this thread, we have already talk about that shaqattack, but Mourning do everything better than howard.
    i'm sorry but they don't play in the same court.
    first, you take a "peak" of Zo in 2000. okay he was awarded this year but mainly because there were only 2 great centers in 2000. young alonzo was imo more impressive and he had to battle against young mutombo, shaq, prime robinson and olajuwon.
    it's like howard, he is DPOY but there is no center anymore, it's a bit normal he has more rebounds than the others!? if he played in 95 he would be the 5th best defensive center of the league, so far away from a DPOY title.

i really don't agree with this "little edge" for zo and no more with the comparison.