Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star ChrisKreager's Avatar

Default What makes Jason Kidd so highly regarded as a PG?

This is not a disrespect question, but a pure 'I'm interested in knowing what makes him so respected' question.

Jason Kidd's name is always mentioned with the great PG's since the merger and his game/resume always intrigued me.

He wasn't putting up absurd numbers like Magic Johnson, wasn't a passing fancy like Steve Nash, or a guy who had purely ridiculous numbers like John Stockton or Gary Payton.

But he was known for his unselfishness, alley-oop ability, three-point savvy, ability to make others better (remember how dangerous a dunker he made Kenyon Martin?), and make the best out of what's not exactly a team of All-Stars or yonug guns.

Of the great, highly-regarded PG's since the 1976 merger, he is among the few that have a ring (Isiah, Magic, Payton) while others don't.

To me, Kidd is the most fascinating and intriguing point guard I've seen since he came aboard in the mid-90s.

What makes him, in the eyes of some, what he is- respected and revered?

Local High School Star

Default Re: What makes Jason Kidd so highly regarded as a PG?

All-around game (those triple doubles), the great passing (he's done a lot even with weak offensive talent in slow pace), the leadership, effectiveness, making his team mates better and impact he's had all put him in a class with the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
    What makes him, in the eyes of some, what he is- respected and revered?
    But he was known for his unselfishness, alley-oop ability, three-point savvy, ability to make others better (remember how dangerous a dunker he made Kenyon Martin?), and make the best out of what's not exactly a team of All-Stars or yonug guns.
    And there you go.

And I'd like to add that he is one of the best fast break players of all time.

Versatility and defense.

He's got 105 tripple doubles, 3rd all time, more than Jordan and Lebron combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    And there you go.

And I'd like to add that he is one of the best fast break players of all time.
    plus, his d is pretty fuuken great.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Because the only knock on his game was his shooting. Now that's still a big hole to have in your game especially as a guard but when you do everything else very well to extremely well, you can still be considered a great player.

Jason Kidd was a TERRIBLE three point shooter. He had no shooting ability whatsoever. However, he was very good in almost every other facet of the game (i.e. rebounding, passing, defense, etc.). Think of a Rondo with bigger size and higher basketball IQ.

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Because the only knock on his game was his shooting. Now that's still a big hole to have in your game especially as a guard but when you do everything else very well to extremely well, you can still be considered a great player.

his passing, defense, leadership,.... also nash is not a better passer than prime Kidd. Kidd did not over dribble as excessively as nash does to find guys.

One of his forgetten skill is how fast he could change his direction when ball on his hands. He wasn't crossover master but that and his ability to change his pace made him get away from elite defenders. Kinda like Jordan's.

This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvZmbEfl0g

By the way, he was also fancy passer.

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    his passing, defense, leadership,.... also nash is not a better passer than prime Kidd. Kidd did not over dribble as excessively as nash does to find guys.
    Nash is a better playoffs performer than Kidd. Kidd is a good passer, but he was a very inefficient scorer. The 2002 and 2003 Nets wouldn't even be a top 4 teams in the 2006-2010 Western Conference.

Nash's Suns would beat Kidd's Nets in less than 6 games.

Very good NBA starter

I remember 2002 NBA ECF against the Nets. PP was toasting EVERYone throughout. Abused every defender they put on him. Byron Scott puts Kerry Kittles on him...PP too strong...Put Athletic RJ on him...Too dumb, not long enough... Put Jason Kidd on him and PP was having fits...couldnt post Kidd up easy without Kidd poking the ball out, and couldn't drive on Kidd without a screen.

To this day Kidd still gives PP fits. Kidd is who I pray Rondo can turn up like. People always think I'm off with comparing them, but they are very similar playing wise.

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    Jason Kidd was a TERRIBLE three point shooter. He had no shooting ability whatsoever. However, he was very good in almost every other facet of the game (i.e. rebounding, passing, defense, etc.). Think of a Rondo with bigger size and higher basketball IQ.
    Uhhhh...

He has the 3rd most 3 pointers made all time behind Ray and Reggie.

His percentage wasn't amazingly high, but you can't discredit him when he's hit over 1,800 for his career.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Nash is a better playoffs performer than Kidd. Kidd is a good passer, but he was a very inefficient scorer. The 2002 and 2003 Nets wouldn't even be a top 4 teams in the 2006-2010 Western Conference.

Those NJ Net teams were missing a swingmen who could create and legit decent post big.

Kerry Kittles was essentially RIP Hamilton before RIP(streaky) but could run the break great and shoot pull up 3.
    RJ was great athlete and rebounder who had no jumper or post moves. He was essentially poor mans Marion
    Kenyon Martin was a freak athlete but did not have his jumper developed nor post moves

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

Kidd has gotten to three finals where a Nash lead Suns didn't.. I ****ing hate these two always getting brought up like they are on par. Ones a legend... the other is a good ass pg that talent wise could never be your franchise player and expect to win championships... ugh. But what can you expect from someone on lebrons dick who started watching basketball prolly in 2000.

He wasn't putting up absurd numbers like Magic Johnson, wasn't a passing fancy like Steve Nash, or a guy who had purely ridiculous numbers like John Stockton or Gary Payton.
    Kidd's number are some of the most absurd since Magic... he was a walking triple double...

Passing fancy? lol... not that this matters but Kidd has thrown some of the most beautiful passes in basketball... especially at a higher speed. Kidds best passes come in the fastbreak...

John Stockton never had ridiculous numbers... and Payton was a scorer and alot of what he did when he played didn't really come up in the stat sheet.