Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Have any of you guys played against an NBA player?

How was it like, did he dominate you or were you able to hang with him?

Default Re: Have any of you guys played against an NBA player?

I played against two potential NBA players if that counts, lol. Larry Drew Jr. and Victor Rudd.

LD was one of the quickest players i've ever guarded in my entire life, and Victor Rudd was just flat out long. I did pretty decent against both of them, though.

Not yet but I played againts PBA Player and Super Rookie Calvin Abueva last January. . I played againts some former PBA Players, and current PBA D-league players.

http://www.pba-online.net/profile/Calvin-Abueva/485/

Dunking on everybody in the park dannysc305's Avatar

I beat MJ in a best 2 out of 3 back in '87

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Never while they were in the NBA (only before and after their careers) and no huge names. The biggest name I played against was Salim Stoudamire back in high school.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Yes. The only Hungarian that has ever made it to the NBA, Kornel David, a bench player on the Bulls was my teammate earlier (when we were both 18-19) at Budapesti Honved. Well, he was pretty good but I played PG-SG and he was a PF-C at the time (more likely to play center in Hungary), so we didn't play much 'against' one another even at practice. Yes, he was good. Back then, I wasn't as bad as I'm now either.

Banned

When they were at Stanford. Pick up game and we put them on opposite teams. You can tell they are NBA level. Good dudes and very humble.

one of the guys that posted on here a couple years ago played up against steve nash at the rucker, even posted pics. he said he couldn't get close to the ball, and nash finished him 21-18 giving him an 18 point head start hahaha.

i wish i could find the thread.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Yes. The only Hungarian that has ever made it to the NBA, Kornel David, a bench player on the Bulls was my teammate earlier (when we were both 18-19) at Budapesti Honved. Well, he was pretty good but I played PG-SG and he was a PF-C at the time (more likely to play center in Hungary), so we didn't play much 'against' one another even at practice. Yes, he was good. Back then, I wasn't as bad as I'm now either.
    Oh cool, do you happen to follow local basketball? I'm wondering how Miljan Rakic is doing over there now playing for Jaszberenyi, he is a childhood friend of mine. :)

I played against Rashard Lewis when I was a sophomore and he was a senior. I managed to score a couple buckets and I didn't get dunked on too hard lol. Then I played against Joe Stevens in a pick up game some years ago. It was eye opening because he didn't last long in the NBA and I had no chance against him. He played in sweats with headphones on. Didn't break a sweat and scored about 10 out of his team's 15 points. He was so strong. That's what blew me away.

I played a few in aau ball. I remember Telfair and Villanueva were on the same team in New York. Played with against others on the proam..Ryan Gomes a few times.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Dude was a beast for Zalgiris Kaunas. One of my favorite players ever.
    Very skilled.

NBA Superstar

I played against Drew Neitzel in high school, who'd eventually run point at Michigan State and had a cup of tea on some NBA summer league squads (Timberwolves). Greg Jennings (NFL) played within the same AAU team program as me, but one grade level higher, so I'm guessing we must have scrimmaged against each other at some point?

Also, my brother tells me Charlie Bell has been frequenting the gym I play at in the summer. My brother tells me the story we've all heard about pro ball players before - Bell doesn't go completely 100% but it's clear to everyone he could dominate if he wanted to. Also, like I imagined, he said his skill is not so much about all the flashy, crazy plays he makes. It's just he's incredibly fundamentally sound and the normal things he does are very quick and perfect... except for his J. My brother says his J has been broken.

Bro was also kind of pumped because he hit a jumper over Bell once and took him into the paint and finished over him another time. Even if a guy's recently retired, I'd take the notch of being able to say I scored on an NBA player.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

4...but only 2 while they were NBA level. Shammond Williams and Merl Code who I think was on the Nuggets for a moment then in the Dleague. Shammond is the best shooter ive ever seen....Merl was guardable...if you gave all you had every second. But he never got tired so...5 minutes in its over.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

I was on the same court as Sun Yue. Never played against him but he's tall/big as hell for a PG. Professional players have that incredibly hard to guard jumper too, i guess thats what distinguishes them from us.