Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can an elite defensive player have bad defensive nights?

Apparently Duncan can't. Doesn't matter how bad he plays offensively, he will ALWAYS get a pass for his defense. Every single game he has played, he never played bad defense apparently.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Default Re: Can an elite defensive player have bad defensive nights?

No, they can't... thats why people have Bill Russell as a top 3 GOAT.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Apparently Jordan did once.. And apparently, he totally owned up to it... and some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enna-TEgE4o&t=9m25s
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-18-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Well sometimes players just make shots, it doesn't neccesarily mean you played poor defense.

Obviously, but sometimes players make "bad" shots. Anyone who's ever played bball knows this. You can be all up in someones face and not give them an inch of separation and they still make it look easy.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk
    Apparently Duncan can't. Doesn't matter how bad he plays offensively, he will ALWAYS get a pass for his defense. Every single game he has played, he never played bad defense apparently.
    duncan is getting so ****ing overrated it's not even funny

NBA lottery pick

Sure they can. But unless someone posts a legit argument that Duncan was poor defensively....there aren't single game bad defensive stats. I don't catch every spurs game, but I've not seen him have a bad defensive game this year. Add in the plus minus stats look great.

Also most of these poor games are coming in HUGE blowouts. Are you going to tell me Duncan was awful in his 20 minutes when the team was up 15-30 when he sat? What team blows out a playoff team with a bad defensive effort?

Also, is duncan playing BAD offensively? His role doesn't make him a top 3 option on the offense. 0-4 with a couple of free throws doesn't really tell me if he was bad offensively. It tells me he missed a few shots, but he sets great screens. He makes very good and very smart passes.

The problem is ISH posts just post box score stats. I mean look Duncan sometimes turns the ball over too much. Sometimes his jump shot won't fall. Defensively while he has maybe the most efficient movement ever, if he's stuck guarding on the wing often he can make mistakes. He isn't laterally fast at all. The thing is outside of some ball handling errors and bad shooting. Duncan never isn't put in the effort. Duncan almost never makes bad decisions. He's always the leader. He's the guy others come to. He can function as an on court coach.

There are reasons why our advanced stats continue to think he's an top tier nba player.

Can an elite defensive player have bad defensive nights?
    Of course they can.

It could be they aren't 100% healthy.

It could be their teammates aren't executing properly, making this player confused about what defensive scheme are being played.

It could be he's having a problem at home and can't concentrate on the court.

I',m not saying Duncan is playing bad defense, DPOY defense, mediocre defense or average defense, but I feel like people easily assume that an elite defensive player will always deliver on the defnesive end.

Even GOAT level offensive level players like Jordan or Magic had bad offensive nights. Same goes with GOAT level defensive players, but I think it is a lot more difficult to tell if a player has performed well defensively or not, at least for me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Pippen had a ton of off-nights.

Mashburn dropped him off for 50

Hill, Dominique routinely dropped him off for 35+... and many more - the list is quite long

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Pippen had a ton of off-nights.

Mashburn dropped him off for 50

Hill, Dominique routinely dropped him off for 35+... and many more - the list is quite long
    Again, it is not that easy. You can play elite defense and your man still scores 50, and you can play horrible defense and your man scores 5

Big guys with defensive reputations routinely get a pass/ coddled.. Perimeter guys face a lot more scrutiny despite defending some of the best offensive scorers in the league.

They can have bad defensive nights if there is no effort (or they are injured, or old).

Offense is different, since you can play with 100% effort but some nights ball just isnt going in.

Thats why the best teams in NBA history focused on defense, since with effort its always there. Even if your star players have bad offensive nights, you can still outlast the other team by great D.

We all heard "Defense wins championships", because its true to a large extent.
    Last edited by Harison; 01-18-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00
    duncan is getting so ****ing overrated it's not even funny
    Greatest PF ever
    Top 10 all time

He's rated just fine hater.

NBA lottery pick

I',m not saying Duncan is playing bad defense, DPOY defense, mediocre defense or average defense, but I feel like people easily assume that an elite defensive player will always deliver on the defnesive end.

Even GOAT level offensive level players like Jordan or Magic had bad offensive nights. Same goes with GOAT level defensive players, but I think it is a lot more difficult to tell if a player has performed well defensively or not, at least for me.
    Jordan as a scorer could have bad games. But guys like say Korver or Curry can use their shooting thread to create offense for the team. A great passer like Magic could create positive impacts that go beyond the box score. The point being just because someone doesn't score or shoot well doesn't always mean they were bad offensively either.

Defense is something that is much less prone to variance than shooting. But shooting is not the entirety of offense. Just like man to man defense isn't the entirety of defense.