Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Tubby Smith's rules for ball-line defense-Coaching Philosophy

Tubby Smith's rules for ball-line defense

November 25, 2008

Quote:
1. Apply constant ball pressure.

2. Contest every shot.

3. Retreat quickly to the ball line.

4. Do not allow penetrating passes or dribble penetration.

5. Allow non-penetrating passes, ones that do not move the ball closer to the basket.

6. Always see the ball and your man.

7. Attempt to intercept all lobs and bounce passes.

8. Jump to the ball on every pass.

9. Communicate (talk -- use verbals)

10. Make all players DOC (dead on the catch).

This is my favorite defense, and Tubby is one of my favorite coaches. A few years ago Tubby was a hot coach in NBA circles, but that time has passed. Some of the league's best defenders were schooled by Tubby at Kentucky. His pupils include: Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo, Kelenna Azuibike, Keith Bogans, and Chuck Hayes. Tubby is already doing nice things in Minnesota, having scored a huge upset over top10 team Louisville.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Tubby Smith's rules for ball-line defense-Coaching Philosophy

The Big 10 is fast becoming the best coached conference in the nation.

Weber, Crean, Lickliter, Beilein, Izzo, Tubby, Carmody, Matta, DeChellis, Painter, Ryan.

Save DeChellis, and to a much lesser extent Weber, I'd be happy to have any of those guys coaching my team.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

From last nite's game:

Quote:
Louisville had averaged 79.6 points per game, but its attack sputtered for most of the game. With six minutes to go, the Cardinals had as many turnovers (15) as baskets.

The Cardinals went 9:31 without a field goal in the second half and shot only 37 percent (and 23.5 percent from three-point range).

I was hoping after he was canned at Kentucky, that he would wind up as an assistant on the NBA level. At least for a year.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Here's a link to Tubby Smith "40" offensive series, basically just a grouping of man to man plays out of a 1-4 high alignment

Honestly I don't think his defense would work in the NBA. Defenders at this level are actually quite lazy. Between allowing easy entry passes and covering the extra ground to the three-point line I think the defense would struggle to get consistent stops.

Last edited by Da KO King : 12-21-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He's definitely a good coach, but I would like to know why he played Rondo at shooting guard. I will never understand that logic.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
He's definitely a good coach, but I would like to know why he played Rondo at shooting guard. I will never understand that logic.
He did not really play Rondo at SG. Rondo sometimes shared ballhandling duties with other Joe Crawford and others because those players needed the ball in his hands to effective on offense.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
The Big 10 is fast becoming the best coached conference in the nation.

Weber, Crean, Lickliter, Beilein, Izzo, Tubby, Carmody, Matta, DeChellis, Painter, Ryan.

Save DeChellis, and to a much lesser extent Weber, I'd be happy to have any of those guys coaching my team.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He was not exclusively at the 2 but he spent a lot of time there, and it wasn't because of Joe Crawford, Crawford was a 2/3. The guy he started beside much of the time in the backcourt, Patrick Sparks, a 6'0 180 pounder was at least just as much the PG of the offense, and watching Rondo in action in the pros I don't get how a non-NBA talent could be just as good with the ball in his hands, especially when the 'Cats were playing so badly (by their standards).
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Rajon Rondo was very indecisive and made an already slow Kentucky team play even slower. Plus his lack of a jumper, of any kind, was a detriment because teams simply went into "pack the yard" mode, clogging things for Randolph Morris on the interior, when Rondo was the lead guard.

By moving Rondo off the ball occasionally(the amount of time Rondo spent at the off guard spot is starting to get exaggerated) teams had to respect the shooting ability of Pat Sparks thus extending the defense before an entry pass is even made giving Morris more room to operate inside.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

It's strange to think that Rondo would slow down a team's pace, but I can see how him getting sagged off of may make it hard to feed the post. I still believe Smith should have uptempoed the offense and set Rondo loose.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
Dasher

Upping the tempo would have gotten The Cats ran out of the gym. The class that Rondo came in with were huge names, but other teams in the SEC were more talented. Playing an uptempo would have minimized the only real advantage Kentucky had:Randolph Morris.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Quote:
He was not exclusively at the 2 but he spent a lot of time there, and it wasn't because of Joe Crawford, Crawford was a 2/3. The guy he started beside much of the time in the backcourt, Patrick Sparks, a 6'0 180 pounder was at least just as much the PG of the offense, and watching Rondo in action in the pros I don't get how a non-NBA talent could be just as good with the ball in his hands, especially when the 'Cats were playing so badly (by their standards).

No, Sparks played the 2. Just because Sparks is shorter doesn't make him the PG.

Tubby knows his defense but he also micromanages the offense to an absurd degree and doesn't allow his stars to shine. This is why he's never recruited a lottery pick in his career.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Da KO King

Quote:
It's strange to think that Rondo would slow down a team's pace, but I can see how him getting sagged off of may make it hard to feed the post. I still believe Smith should have uptempoed the offense and set Rondo loose.
It was not a slow down in the sense of he would intentionally walk the ball up even when it was apparent the rest of the crew wanted to run. He slowed it down because he would always second guess himself when it came to should he drive/shoot/pass to guy A/pass to guy B.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
It was not a slow down in the sense of he would intentionally walk the ball up even when it was apparent the rest of the crew wanted to run. He slowed it down because he would always second guess himself when it came to should he drive/shoot/pass to guy A/pass to guy B.

That was Tubby in his head though. If Rondo made even a small mistake (what Tubby perceives to be a mistake) he would get his head chewed off. If you'll remember, Rondo also played for Team USA during the offseason while in college and had a much larger impact than he had at UK.

Tubby did that to every one, even Prince. It took Prince about 3 years to stop second-guessing himself with the Pistons. Do you remember all those times when coach Brown would say that Prince was becoming passive?
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo
No, Sparks played the 2. Just because Sparks is shorter doesn't make him the PG.

Tubby knows his defense but he also micromanages the offense to an absurd degree and doesn't allow his stars to shine. This is why he's never recruited a lottery pick in his career.
I saw Sparks getting to bring the ball up quite a bit and matching up with the opposing pg often. Their first year together, Sparks even averaged more assists by a slim margin (3.6 to 3.5). Micromanagement may have been an issue, but the few times I saw Kentucky it didn't look like either guy was the primary point.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: