Thread: 2014 Team USA

Default 2014 Team USA

Wow, exceeded expectations.

Props to our system since 2006, once we began building rosters for the international game correctly, and our players began taking things seriously. We have totally restored dominance.

But I was shocked to see this 2014 team, compromised of second or even third tier American NBA stars is the first team since the iconic '92, and '96 teams to have won each game by 20+ or more.

Granted they faced weaker comp than the 2006, 2008, and 2012, it was still pretty shocking. It shows how far we've come since our stumbles in 2002, and 2004 due to complacency.

The 2008 would've won all their games by 20+ or more easily, featuring a prime Kobe, Wade, LeBron, and Paul had it not been for the refs in the gold medal game calling touch calls on the perimeter players to keep it competitive. The game prior when Spain had their best guard, Calderon, without the petty foul calls we demolished Spain by 30+.

But what I think made this 2014 so dominant, besides the chip on their shoulder they played with ... and their connection to the '92, and '96 teams? The big men.

Our trio of the big, physical, interior presence of AD, Faried, and Cousins. They were intimidating animals on the block. Something that large oaf like Europeans had been taking advantage of in recent years since the downfall of the American big man.

That trio of low block players in combination with pure shooters like Curry, Klay, Irving and Harden to stretch the defense, it's no wonder we ass pounded Lithuania, Serbia, etc.

Default Re: 2014 Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Wow, exceeded expectations.

Props to our system since 2006, once we began building rosters for the international game correctly, and our players began taking things seriously. We have totally restored dominance.

But I was shocked to see this 2014 team, compromised of second or even third tier American NBA stars is the first team since the iconic '92, and '96 teams to have won each game by 20+ or more.

Granted they faced weaker comp than the 2006, 2008, and 2012, it was still pretty shocking. It shows how far we've come since our stumbles in 2002, and 2004 due to complacency.

The 2008 would've won all their games by 20+ or more easily, featuring a prime Kobe, Wade, LeBron, and Paul had it not been for the refs in the gold medal game calling touch calls on the perimeter players to keep it competitive. The game prior when Spain had their best guard, Calderon, without the petty foul calls we demolished Spain by 30+.

But what I think made this 2014 so dominant, besides the chip on their shoulder they played with ... and their connection to the '92, and '96 teams? The big men.

Our trio of the big, physical, interior presence of AD, Faried, and Cousins. They were intimidating animals on the block. Something that large oaf like Europeans had been taking advantage of in recent years since the downfall of the American big man.

That trio of low block players in combination with pure shooters like Curry, Klay, Irving and Harden to stretch the defense, it's no wonder we ass pounded Lithuania, Serbia, etc.

chauvinist

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    chauvinist
    Sore Lithuanian anus?

I actually underestimated this USA team, so no not a chauvinist at all.

Good analysis overall, and regardless of why this FIBA tournament may have not been that talented, our team just straight up dismantled everybody and put on a show. Faried was incredible, played with so much energy, and the ultimate garbage man. One of the few to basically outplay his man every time.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Sore Lithuanian anus?

I actually underestimated this USA team, so no not a chauvinist at all.

Anyway, yeah I was impressed, didn't end up needing KD or PG after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfan
    Anyway, yeah I was impressed, didn't end up needing KD or PG after all.
    This team would've had a more dynamic offense, and even better defensively with those two. Scary. PG was our starting SG, and KD the starting SF as well as best player. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Good analysis overall, and regardless of why this FIBA tournament may have not been that talented, our team just straight up dismantled everybody and put on a show. Faried was incredible, played with so much energy, and the ultimate garbage man. One of the few to basically outplay his man every time.
    Co-sign.