Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Kyrie Irving: 6 pts on 2-12 shooting, 7 assists in career debut; Bust already?

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Old thread (reactionary at best), waste of space. Doesn't date with what's currently happening.
    It's a thread about him being a bust and not worthy of a No. 1 pick. Today added to what has been an impressive first three years to his career, despite playing on some young/inexperienced/bad teams.

And, most threads are "reactionary." We're all reacting to what we see on the basketball court. The OP took a grand leap based on his collegiate career and his first game. Turned out that he was completely wrong.

Revisiting the topic three years later to point out that fact seems more than appropriate today. Of course, you are always free to not post in it. I still haven't heard a coherent reason why it should be locked. It's totally basketball related.

Default Re: Kyrie Irving: 6 pts on 2-12 shooting, 7 assists in career debut; Bust already?

Derrick Williams

Default Re: Kyrie Irving: 6 pts on 3-17 total attempts

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    op doesnt know how to read a boxscore

irving was 2-12 overall, and 1-5 on threes.

irving couldnt hit from outside, he got a lot of attention from the raps defense. he showed some really nice passing.

what the hell is it then?

he plays one bad game, you make a thread specifically about that one bad game, and then say he will have a disappointing career as a result.

is there something im missing here?
    so this was the point were OP learned threes arent counted seperately than FG/FGA? All before he thought FG/FGA was only 2's?

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Derrick Williams
    Kyrie was always a very easy pick to me. The one that is really starting to pay dividends is getting Tristan at #4. Everyone -- including me -- thought they were going to take Valanciunas with that pick.

With the work Tristan just did in The Finals and thinking about how Valanciunas' game would have almost certainly been eaten alive by Golden State's smaller lineups... Really a great pick in retrospect (even though Val is a good player too).

But, yeah...

There was a really large group of people made up of both Cavs fans and the general public who thought the Cavs should take the best wing in the draft first overall (Derrick Williams) and then grab the second best PG at #4 (Brandon Knight).

Local High School Star

Default Re: Kyrie Irving: 6 pts on 2-12 shooting, 7 assists in debut

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'd take it even a step further... there isn't a young player in the league right now (23 and under) I would take over him.

His combination of sneaky athleticism, skill, strength (underrated), temperament, leadership, ability to control tempo, and cold-blooded attitude down the stretch...

He was a basically unstoppable scorer last season when he needed to be for a Cavs team completely replete of guys who could put the ball in the basket. Now, with Waiters, we are beginning to see his playmaking skills.

He is definitely one of the most well-rounded offensive players I have ever seen at that age.
    Has he pretty much progressed the way you thought he would?

Default Re: Kyrie Irving: 6 pts on 2-12 shooting, 7 assists in debut

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    Has he pretty much progressed the way you thought he would?
    I don't think anyone predicted Kyrie would be this good, especially with the injury concerns he had when he was drafted.

Dude has one of most complete scoring skillsets in the game, and arguably the best handle. Where he really needs to improve is his playmaking/defense, but he's shown that he's capable of being an above-average defender this past playoffs.

And he's only 24, so he's still got plenty of time to refine his game. Depending on how long LeBron can play at an elite level, the Cavs are going to be a scary team for years to come.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Kyrie is a damn impressive player with the most aesthetically pleasing finishes around the rim in the entire league, but he's quickly becoming overrated. He would be a first round and out AT BEST type of player without lebron. Kyrie gets his but he doesn't really make anyone better. I just hope he doesn't buy into his own hype and it leading to the premature end of the current cavs run. But apparently he thinks he's already capable of or very soon to be the best player on a title contender based on his comments after the finals. Delusional.
    Last edited by Orlando Magic; 08-21-2016 at 10:06 PM.