Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1995 Voting

Last edited by G.O.A.T; 09-19-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1995 Voting

Bird, Larry - no brainer

Cheeks, Maurice - good overall career, not worth it by my standards

Dantley, Adrian - no PO success, not worth the HOF

Davis, Walter - no PO success, not worth the HOF

English, Alex - no PO success, but makes it due to his influence on future generations and 8x all-star

Johnson, Dennis - great defensive player. Any 3x champ, 1x fmvp makes it to the HOF by my standards.

Johnson, Marques - David Lee level, good player, just not worth to even be in the discussion

King, Bernard - makes it due to influence on future generations, some great scoring games, but mainly due to personal bias

Laimbeer - Champion, again, influence on future generations

McHale, Kevin - easy choice, gets mentioned every day in many forums and TV shows, great player, competitor, would play as long as at least one finger is moving.

Moncreif, Sidney - good overall career, but lacks PO success

Petrovic, Drazen - Not good enough as a player, incredibly one dimensional, doesn't have the longevity, obviously. Death made him twice as good as he really was

Sikma, Jack - role player numbers, but still an all-star, great all-around shooter, just not good enough as a player to be in the class of the best

Thomas, Isiah - easy choice

Worthy, James - any 20 ppg 3x champion, 1x finals mvp makes it to my HOF

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous classes

Bobby Jones
    Lenny Wilkens
    Sergi Belov
    David Thompson
    Neil Johnston
    George McGinnis
    Dan Issel
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Gus Johnson

College superstar

After selecting everyone I thought worthy, I had more than 10. That being said, a lot of my selections are open to change due to arguments made by others.

Bird, Larry - Ever heard of Him?

Dantley, Adrian - Three-time scoring Champion; 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA; 27-6-4-1 over nine prime seasons; 1977 Rookie of the Year

English, Alex - Leading scorer for the decade of the 1980's; 8x all-star, 3x all-nba second team, 27-6-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

Johnson, Dennis - 3x NBA Champion, played in six NBA Finals. 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, 9x all-defensive team; 16-4-5-1 over ten prime seasons. 1979 Finals MVP.

McHale, Kevin - Master of the post-up; Sixth Man turned all-NBA first team, 3x NBA Champion, 76x all-star, 6x all-defensive team (3 first). 20-8-2-1-2 over ten prime seasons.

Moncreif, Sidney - One of the top all-around guards to every play; 5x all-star 5x all-NBA, 5x all-defensive (4 1st team). Averaged 20-6-4-2 over six prime seasons.

Thomas, Isiah - Leader of 2x NBA Champion Pistons; 12x all-star, 5x all-NBA (three first team), 20-4-9-2 over eleven prime seasons. 1990 Finals MVP.

Bobby Jones
    Lenny Wilkens
    Sergi Belov
    David Thompson
    Neil Johnston
    George McGinnis
    Dan Issel
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis (mentioned twice.. sneaky sneaky)
    Gus Johnson

Edit: Considering dropping Johnston in favor of Worthy. Johnston has long been a sentimental vote, but he just doesn't seem to be gaining traction.
    Last edited by kshutts1; 09-09-2014 at 04:21 PM.

@ sex Symbol
    11 bro, got to work on your counting.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    11 bro, got to work on your counting.
    edited it immediately

Belov getting some love! Let's make this the round we get him in. I mean, he was voted by FIBA as the greatest international basketball player ever in 1991. Leading scorer of the USSR team that famously knocked off the US in 72. Along with like 10+ championships, scoring titles and numerous other accolades. What more does the guy got to do to get a HOF bid?

Will put my votes in later after giving it some though. A ton of fringe candidates I need to think about.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Belov getting some love! Let's make this the round we get him in. I mean, he was voted by FIBA as the greatest international basketball player ever in 1991. Leading scorer of the USSR team that famously knocked off the US in 72. Along with like 10+ championships, scoring titles and numerous other accolades. What more does the guy got to do to get a HOF bid?

Will put my votes in later after giving it some though. A ton of fringe candidates I need to think about.
    While I had trouble whittling the list down to 10, I can envision a lot of others struggling to get 5 candidates in which they are confident. One of those "fringe" classes.

And as for Drazen, I'd vote him in as a pioneer, but not a player. Though I just remembered I should check out his international career.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Bird, Larry - no brainer

Cheeks, Maurice - good overall career, not worth it by my standards

Dantley, Adrian - no PO success, not worth the HOF

Davis, Walter - no PO success, not worth the HOFwait

English, Alex - no PO success, but makes it due to his influence on future generations and 8x all-star

Johnson, Dennis - great defensive player. Any 3x champ, 1x fmvp makes it to the HOF by my standards.

Johnson, Marques - David Lee level, good player, just not worth to even be in the discussion

King, Bernard - makes it due to influence on future generations, some great scoring games, but mainly due to personal bias

Laimbeer - Champion, again, influence on future generations

McHale, Kevin - easy choice, gets mentioned every day in many forums and TV shows, great player, competitor, would play as long as at least one finger is moving.

Moncreif, Sidney - good overall career, but lacks PO success

Petrovic, Drazen - Not good enough as a player, incredibly one dimensional, doesn't have the longevity, obviously. Death made him twice as good as he really was

Sikma, Jack - role player numbers, but still an all-star, great all-around shooter, just not good enough as a player to be in the class of the best

Thomas, Isiah - easy choice

Worthy, James - any 20 ppg 3x champion, 1x finals mvp makes it to my HOF

Bobby Jones
    Lenny Wilkens
    Sergi Belov
    David Thompson
    Neil Johnston
    George McGinnis
    Dan Issel
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Gus Johnson
    What is playoff success? Dantley was one game away from champagne. Moncrief went to 3 conference finals. Bucks loses were to eventual champs Celtics and 6ers. His teammate Marques Johnson was much better than David Lee. Sikma was no role player was better than Laimbeer.

Bird, Larry - No question

Cheeks, Maurice - NBA Champion in 1983; 4x all-star, 5x all-defensive selection; averaged 13-3-8-2 in ten prime seasons.

Dantley, Adrian - Three-time scoring Champion; 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA; 27-6-4-1 over nine prime seasons; 1977 Rookie of the Year

Davis, Walter - High Scoring Guard for Suns throughout the eighties. 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 21-3-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

English, Alex - Leading scorer for the decade of the 1980's; 8x all-star, 3x all-nba second team, 27-6-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

Johnson, Dennis - One of the best defender in his prime and an all around offense

Johnson, Marques - One of the first true point forwards; 5x all-star, 3x all-NBA. Averaged 20-7-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

King, Bernard - Scoring Champion finished 2nd in 1984 MVP voting; 4x all-star, 4x all-NBA. 25-6-4-1 over ten prime seasons.

Laimbeer - 2x NBA Champion; Greatest instigator of all-time; waged psychosocial warfare on opponents. 4x all-star and once rebounding champ. Averaged 15-11-2-1 over ten prime seasons.

McHale, Kevin - One of the best post player ever. Even though I don't like him as a coach and GM

Moncreif, Sidney - One of the top all-around guards to every play; 5x all-star 5x all-NBA, 5x all-defensive (4 1st team). Averaged 20-6-4-2 over six prime seasons.

Petrovic, Drazen - "Drazen Petrovic was an extraordinary young man, and a true pioneer in the global sports of basketball. I know that a lasting part of his athletic legacy will be that he paved the way for other international players to compete successfully in the NBA. His contributions to the sport of basketball were enormous. We are all proud of the fact we knew him." - David Stern

Sikma, Jack - NBA Champion in 1979. 7x all-star, 1x all-defensive team; averaged 17-11-4-1 over eleven prime seasons.

Thomas, Isiah - Leader of 2x NBA Champion Pistons; 12x all-star, 5x all-NBA (three first team), 20-4-9-2 over eleven prime seasons. 1990 Finals MVP.

Worthy, James - 3x NBA Champion; 7x all-star, 2x all-NBA. 20-6-3 over eight prime seasons; 1988 Finals MVP.

Bobby Jones
    Lenny Wilkens
    Sergi Belov
    David Thompson
    Neil Johnston
    Dan Issel
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Gus Johnson

1000th post

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hangintheair
    Bird, Larry - No question

Cheeks, Maurice - NBA Champion in 1983; 4x all-star, 5x all-defensive selection; averaged 13-3-8-2 in ten prime seasons.

Davis, Walter - High Scoring Guard for Suns throughout the eighties. 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 21-3-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

Johnson, Dennis - One of the best defender in his prime and an all around offense

Johnson, Marques - One of the first true point forwards; 5x all-star, 3x all-NBA. Averaged 20-7-4-1 over nine prime seasons.

King, Bernard - Scoring Champion finished 2nd in 1984 MVP voting; 4x all-star, 4x all-NBA. 25-6-4-1 over ten prime seasons.

Laimbeer - 2x NBA Champion; Greatest instigator of all-time; waged psychosocial warfare on opponents. 4x all-star and once rebounding champ. Averaged 15-11-2-1 over ten prime seasons.

McHale, Kevin - One of the best post player ever. Even though I don't like him as a coach and GM

Petrovic, Drazen - "Drazen Petrovic was an extraordinary young man, and a true pioneer in the global sports of basketball. I know that a lasting part of his athletic legacy will be that he paved the way for other international players to compete successfully in the NBA. His contributions to the sport of basketball were enormous. We are all proud of the fact we knew him." - David Stern

Sikma, Jack - NBA Champion in 1979. 7x all-star, 1x all-defensive team; averaged 17-11-4-1 over eleven prime seasons.

Worthy, James - 3x NBA Champion; 7x all-star, 2x all-NBA. 20-6-3 over eight prime seasons; 1988 Finals MVP.

Bobby Jones
    Lenny Wilkens
    Sergi Belov
    David Thompson
    Neil Johnston
    Dan Issel
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Gus Johnson

1000th post
    Why is Cheeks chosen over Dantley, English, and Wilkins, to name a few?

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Why is Cheeks chosen over Dantley, English, and Wilkins, to name a few?
    All 3 players you mentioned are all good players in their own ways but I think Cheeks is much better in his game than the three. Even though he didn't score that much but his playmaking and mostly his defense is one of the best in his generation. Also he always step up his game during the playoffs.

All 3 players you mentioned are all good players in their own ways but I think Cheeks is much better in his game than the three. Even though he didn't score that much but his playmaking and mostly his defense is one of the best in his generation. Also he always step up his game during the playoffs.
    Cheeks was on a level with Gus Johnson Norm Nixon Otis Birdsong. Micheal Ray Richardson at his best was better but we know how that story ended up.

College superstar

Cheeks just strikes me as a Josh Smith type talent. Fringe all-star that is great in one facet (defense for both.. sort of) but quite replaceable.

He is by no means a bad player. I'm just not sure he's a perennial all-star level player, or transcendent, or HOF worthy.

Edit: My analogy may be slightly off, but the description stands.

This might be the toughest one yet. I'll just go with the new guys.

The SMALL FORWARDS:
    Larry Bird
    Adrian Dantley
    Alex English
    Marques Johnson
    Bernard King
    James Worthy

All besides King were Allstars in 86 as he was injured. He did make it the year before.

The GUARDS:
    Maurice Cheeks
    Walter Davis
    Dennis Johnson
    Sidney Moncrief
    Drazen Petrovic
    Isiah Thomas

We have Zeke, 3 defenders, a scorer and a sharpshooter.

The BIG MEN:
    Bill Laimbeer
    Kevin McHale
    Jack Sikma

3 totally different bigs

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Johnson, Dennis - 3x NBA Champion, played in six NBA Finals. 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, 9x all-defensive team; 16-4-5-1 over ten prime seasons. 1979 Finals MVP.

McHale, Kevin - Master of the post-up; Sixth Man turned all-NBA first team, 3x NBA Champion, 76x all-star, 6x all-defensive team (3 first). 20-8-2-1-2 over ten prime seasons.