Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Patrick Ewing vs David Robinson

Who was the better player in your opinion? I never really had the chance to watch either of them in their prime apart from a couple of games that were replays.

I did some research and here is some stuff to look at:
    Head to Head
    Career Stat Comparison
    David Robinson's stats (including awards down the bottom)
    Patrick Ewing's stats (including awards down the bottom)
    Last edited by josh99; 10-01-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Made that high school varsity squad Shaolinswords's Avatar

Default Re: Patrick Ewing vs David Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinswords
    Thanks. I must have put in the wrong link...

7-time NBA All-Star

I may be biased having watched Ewing a lot more since I've lived in New York all my life, but if I want to win a championship, I'll take Pat over David.

David was more talented because of his freakish athleticism, perimeter skills, quickness and the fact that he was left handed, but he was never the leader that Ewing was.

I also think that Patrick's game was more suited for the playoffs. He had a better post game with a solid drop step, his favorite "3 step move", a good jump hook and a turnaround jumper. David never seemed as comfortable with his back to the basket. He could score anywhere because of his athleticism and shooting touch and he had somewhat of an up and under move, but it never seemed fluid. He always seemed robotic with his back to the basket. He was at his best facing up and running the floor. He simply wasn't as tough as Ewing was.

Defensively, both were great and although Ewing wasn't as flashy as Robinson I think he was just as solid of an anchor.

Robinson, however has a history of losing series with homecourt.

1991- Robinson's Spurs lost in 4 games in the 1st round to a Warriors team that had won 11 less games. David put up numbers 26/13/4 on 69% shooting so the blame can't all be placed on him, but Golden State was one of the worst defensive. They allowed 115 points per game(2nd most in the NBA), They had the 5th worst defensive rating and they played at the 2nd fastest pace so the numbers don't quite tell the story. David managed just 18 points in the elimination game.

1994- Robinson's Spurs lost in the first round to a lower seed Utah Jazz team. David averaged an even 20/10 on just 41% shooting.

1995- Robinson's Spurs lost in the WCF to a Rockets team that won 15 less games. He had just 19/10 on 6/17 shooting with 6 turnovers while facing elimination in game 6. He was completely destroyed head to head against Olajuwon.

Hakeem Olajuwon- 35.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 5 apg, 4.2 to, 4.1 bpg, 1.3 spg, 56 FG%
    David Robinson- 23.8 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 4.5 to, 2.2 bpg, 1.5 spg, 44.7 FG%

Despite being shut down offensively, Ewing atleast played Olajuwon tough defensively and held him to 26.9 ppg(on 21.4 shots), 9.1 rpg, 3.6 apg(but 3.6 turnovers) and an even 50% shooting. Ewing did atleast outrebound Olajuwon by 3 per game and block more shots than Hakeem. It was also a close 7 game series despite Houston having homecourt.

1996- Robinson's Spurs lost to a lower seeded Jazz team in the 2nd round. David hardly played like a superstar in the elimination game with just 17 and 8. For the series he averaged just 19.3 ppg, 9 rpg on 47.5% shooting.

Name some moments where Robinson came through with gutsy, clutch playoff performances like these.

Game 5 of the Knicks/Heat series in 1999- This now became a 1 game series in Miami, winner take all game. The Knicks were the 8th seed and trying to become just the second 8th seeded team to knock off a number 1 seed. Ewing was 36 and so clearly injured and limping so noticeably that I thought he was going to be out for the game at any minute pretty early. Instead he came through with 22 points and 11 rebounds vs a prime Alonzo Mourning who had just 21 and 5 on 6/14 shooting. Mourning, by the way was the defensive player of the year that season and 2nd in MVP voting. Zo was also 29 and in the prime of his career. No other Knick had more than 14 points, but Ewing led the way. His 22 points are even more impressive when you remember how so the pace was and how tough Miami's defense was. Ewing didn't take the easy way out by shooting 20 footers all day either. He played in the post and shot jump hooks, turnaround jumpers and running shots across the lane. In reality Patrick shouldn't have even been playing with that injury.

Game 7 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals- After winning an elimination game on the road in game 6, the Knicks went back to New York for a deciding game 7. Ewing came up huge with 24 points, 22 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks including the gamewinning tip dunk. That sent New York to the NBA finals for the first time since

Game 6 of the 1992 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals- Playing on a badly sprained ankle and facing elimination vs Jordan's Bulls, Ewing had 27 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks on 13/22 shooting to force the series to 7 games. The Bulls were the defending champs and had won 67 games that year(16 more than the Knicks).

Game 5 of 1992 Eastern Conference 1st round- Ewing led the Knicks to a victory in the deciding game 5 vs the bad boy Pistons with 31 points, 19 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks.

Game 4 of the 1990 Eastern Conference 1st round- The Knicks had trailed Bird's Celtics 0-2, but Ewing and the Knicks battled back. In game 3 Patrick had 33, followed with 44 in game 4 and 31 in the clinching game 5 at the Boston Garden! Ewing's entire game 4 statline was 44 points, 13 rebounds, 7 steals, 3 assists and 2 blocks.

I'll take a leader like Ewing anyday over Robinson who was good to get you into the 2nd round, but usually not to go any farther. He only went to the WCF once as the best player on his team and he never led his team to the finals despite having a cast of Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, Dennis Rodman and Vinny Del Negro in their primes and a bench of Chuck Person, Jr Reid, Doc Rivers and Terry Cummings. He had great supporting casts in 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996 and 1998, but he failed to make the finals each time and only made the WCF once.

I like Robinson, but he simply was better suited to be the second option on a championship team. Not because of a lack of talent, but because he just didn't have the mentality necessary to lead a team to a title. Robinson's resume looks better and he was the better individual player in the regular season so I can see why some would take him. Playoffs are the difference in my opinion. Ewing had great statistical seasons(1990, 1991), he had longevity, he had big playoff performances and he had his fair share of team success as the number 1 option.

It's a shame that Ewing had such bad luck when it came to winning a championship. He was beaten by Jordan's Bulls 3 straight seasons including a 7 game series in 1992. He lost in 7 games in the finals the year after Jordan retired partially because of Hakeem's miracle block in game 6. His finger roll rimmed out in game 7 of the ECSF in 1995 denying him again. The suspension in 1997 denied Ewing of a title once again and finally when he made it back to the finals in 1999 he was injured and he couldn't play.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 10-01-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Saw a basketball once

I think David Robinson is definitely better than Patrick Ewing.

David has won a championship while Ewing hasn't. Simple basis.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by HealthieJunky

David played with Tim Duncan, Ewing didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthieJunky

What a dumb statement. So I guess Pierce is better than LeBron?

I pick Ewing over David any day.
    Pretty much ShaqAttack sums it up of what I needed to say. David just don't have the leadership quality that Ewing had to push his team during playoff time.
    Ewing didn't need to rely on athleticism on his game , that's why despite his numberous injuries, he was still producing respectable number at age of 36.

If pat played his normal game in the 94' finals, the Knicks would have won the title.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinswords
    If pat played his normal game in the 94' finals, the Knicks would have won the title.
    The same could be said for David in the WCF. Atleast Patrick played strong defense and made it tough for Olajuwon in 1994. He did play half of his game. Robinson on the otherhand was destroyed at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    The same could be said for David in the WCF. Atleast Patrick played strong defense and made it tough for Olajuwon in 1994. He did play half of his game. Robinson on the otherhand was destroyed at both ends.
    Ewing relied heavily on shooting and didn't attack the basket like it should. The 94 Knicks were better imo than the 94 Rockets.

Don't forget that he had an abyssimal FG% for the finals.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

So league MVP Defensive, player of the year, scoring title, Quad Double (one of four players) all that plus they gave that to D Rob over Ewing because David was in a Huge market while poor Pat was stuck in tiny NYC market....poor guy. You have got to be ****ing kiding me.

This is Pat

7-time NBA All-Star

[QUOTE=icemanfan]So league MVP Defensive, player of the year, scoring title, Quad Double (one of four players) all that plus they gave that to D Rob over Ewing because David was in a Huge market while poor Pat was stuck in tiny NYC market....poor guy. You have got to be ****ing kiding me.

This is Pat

Learning to shoot layups Amare4lyfe's Avatar

David gives you the stats but stats don't always tell you the whole story. David just didn't perform like a leader. I would rather have a good leader than a good soldier.

David Robinson gets my vote.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Garbage post. Robinson choked in the playoffs several times, the Knicks would not have another title with him in Ewing's place because Ewing was the better playoff performer.

Ewing had better teams?

1990- Robinson had a 22/8 PF, Terry Cummings as well Willie Anderson(15.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 49.2 FG%), Rod Strickland(14/4/8/2 on 47% shooting) and Sean Elliott who even as a rookie was solid(10/4/2 on 48%).

1991- Same cast as the year before except with Cumming's production down a bit(18/8), but Elliott's way up(16/6/3 on 49% shooting).

1995- Robinson had Sean Elliott(18 ppg, 47% shooting, 41% 3 point shooting), Avery Johnson(13/8 on 52% shooting), Vinny Del Negro(12.5 ppg, 3 apg, 49% shooting, 41% 3 point shooting), Chuck Person(11 ppg in 25 mpg on 39% 3 point shooting and 5.5 3 point attempts) and Dennis Rodman(7 ppg, 17 rpg, 2 apg and 57% shooting, plus a 2 time DPOY and eventual 5 time champ).

1996- Elliott was a 20/5/3 player who shot 47% and 41% on 3's. Del Negro averaged 14.5 ppg and 4 apg while shooting 50% and 38% on 3's. Avery Johnson was a 13/10 player who averaged 1.5 steals and shot 49%. Chuck Person was an 11/5 sixth man who shot 41% on 3's despite taking nearly 6 of them per game.

Face it, the bad team argument doesn't work, particularly in the mid 90's. Elliott was an athletic small forward with 3 point range who could create his own shot, run the floor, get to the basket and make plays for his teammates. Avery Johnson was a very smart point guard who would find ways to get tot he basket, he learned how to hit the open shots he'd often get and he was an excellent passer/playmaker as well as a good defender. Then you had great role players like Del Negro and Person, the ebst rebounder ever/2 time DPOY Dennis Rodman. They not only had a legit starting that was covered at every position, but a damn good 6th man as well. They had a solid starting point guard, a legit 2nd scorer in Elliott who could score from the perimeter and a few different 3 point shooters and scorers.

1992 Knicks
    Ro Blackman, Doc Rivers, John Starks, Charles Smith and Charles Oakley
    1993 Knicks
    Eric Anderson, Ro Blackman, Derek Harper, Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley and Doc River
    1994 Knicks
    John Starks,Eric Anderson, Ro Blackman, Derek Harper, Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley
    1995 Knicks
    Charlie Ward, Charles Oakley, Derek Harper, JR Reid, Doug Christie, Willie Anderson, Charles Smith
    Allan Houston,Charlie Ward, Charles Oakley, John Starks, Terry Cumings
    Allan Houston,Charlie Ward, Charles Oakley, John Starks, Terry Cumings (since you have such a high opinion of him)
    Larry Johnson, Chris Childs, Charlie Ward, Allan Houston, Charles Oakley, John Starks

BTW nice try at distracting from the total disparity between the two players accomplishments. As usual you hate the facts because the interfere with your feelings.