Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Rank Kobe's Best Years in Order.

u can fill in the rest.

My favourite version of kobe was 08/09.

This was the first year he really embraced his teammates and became the leader we all thought he could be.

Although he obviously had lost a little athleticism, he made up for it with some shiny new post moves, aswell as an increased understanding of how and when he should use his teammates and when he should 'take over'. He still could still score big when called upon though - his 61 point onslaught against the knicks was testament to that...

1. 08/09
    2. 09/10
    3. 00/01
    4. 02/03
    5. 07/08
    6. 06/07
    7. 05/06
    8. 04/05
    9. 10/11
    10. 01/02
    11. 99/00
    12. 03/04
    13. 98/99
    14. 97/98
    15. 96/97

Imo:

Local High School Star

2008 or 2009. Post season results is a huge factor for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    2006 and 2007 Kobe are close. Kobe did play with a more team-oriented approach early in 2007 and then went on the scoring streaks later in the season.

But I don't think that Kobe changing his approach in 2007 had as much to do with his own maturity as the situation. Phil told Kobe prior to 2005-2006 he'd have to carry the team until the rest of the players caught up and learned the triangle. We saw Kobe go to a different approach in the playoff vs Phoenix and almost beat them.

He was also coming off knee surgery in 2007 and less explosive to start the season. That's another reason why I pick 2006 Kobe. His defense was also better in 2006 than 2007. He didn't consistently give 100% at that end either season, but I saw a lot more defensively from Kobe in '06 than '07.
    How exactly was Kobe's defense better in '06 than in '07? Care to give any examples or statistics and what not? I didn't see a difference. Kobe in '08 and in '03 were Kobe's best defensive seasons though and I think his defense in '06 and '07 were pretty much the same.

I pick Kobe in '07 over Kobe in '06 not just because he played more selflessly but also because he was more efficient. I felt like a lot of Kobe's scoring in '06 was kind of sloppy whereas Kobe's scoring in '07 was just better and more aesthetically pleasing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    i would been a huge fan if he just gave a damn about passing / facilitating / playing the right way (JORDAN DID THAT!)...... and also if he was actually EFFICIENT (once again like Jordan).... around 50% FG perhaps... then i wouldnt mind the chucking at all... since most of the shots are going in he will be doing the right thing....

i just dont like that mindset of his....... when the shots are going in for him he is extremly entertaining to watch.... but when they are not (which is much more often) he STILL continues to jack those shots up and be like 10 of 40 and so on and ignore his teammates..... he doesnt give a damn..... he is a actually a good passer, but he REFUSES... its his selfishness.... i just dont like it.............. JORDAN WAS NOT LIKE THAT!

Kobe has only managed to copy Jordans moves (not even close to the same efficiency) offensively...... but he has NOT managed to come even close to everything else..... JORDAN was actually an All-Round player.... much more like a OSCAR ROBERTSON......... he played PG-SG-SF thru out his career... at one point he even started PG for an entire season being more like Magic Johnson (with scoring ability) in 1988-89..... thats when he had 7 triple doubles in a row or something.... in the Finals in 1991 he averaged 11 assists a game... he always played the right way...
    how can, on average, one extra missed shot per game be the difference between jordan is super efficient omg and kobe is a chucker that cant shoot well?

its..literally.. one missed shot per game.. or counting primes only; its like half a shot per game.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Averaged 34/7/6/2/60% TS over last 40 games
    Slight correction, it was actually 33/6/5/2, 57 TS% over the last 40. Still amazing, though, particularly for 2003. Equally impressive is that the Lakers went 31-9 in those games and that the 35 and 40 point streaks came right after Phil made Kobe the number 1 option or gave him more freedom offensively. It does sort of make you wonder what he was capable of with the green light. Even going back to 2000, his skill set and athleticism made his ability appear far superior to other 21-23 ppg scorers. I would guess that as the first option, he'd have been capable of 25-27 ppg even back then.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPerceive
    How exactly was Kobe's defense better in '06 than in '07? Care to give any examples or statistics and what not? I didn't see a difference.
    Well, Kobe at least seemed to pay more attention to his defense in 2006. He mentioned wanting to improve at that end after 2005 when his defense really fell off and Phil had made comments on it. He did at least have some performances where he shut down elite scorers like Ray Allen and Vince Carter and he was quicker in '06. I don't remember many impressive defensive games from Kobe in '07 and remember more where he was lit up than '06. Tex Winter also called him out on his defense in '07. It was probably his worst defensive season of his prime outside of maybe 2005, even though I think it was one of his better seasons overall.

Kobe in '08 and in '03 were Kobe's best defensive seasons though and I think his defense in '06 and '07 were pretty much the same.
    I disagree, 2000 was Kobe's best defensive season, followed by 2001.

I pick Kobe in '07 over Kobe in '06 not just because he played more selflessly but also because he was more efficient. I felt like a lot of Kobe's scoring in '06 was kind of sloppy whereas Kobe's scoring in '07 was just better and more aesthetically pleasing.
    Well, I can't argue with that if that's what you saw. Personally, I didn't really see that.

How was Kobe more 'aesthetically pleasing' in 2007 than in 2006 or 2003? He was far quicker (and more slim) those years. For half of 2007 he was a step slow because of the knee surgery in the off-season.

And people gotta stop with the whole 'Kobe matured' in 2007 (or in 2008) crap. He just got better teammates. He really didn't mature until the beginning of the 2009 season..where he became a great leader and teammate.

I'll reiterate again...

2006 - best version of Kobe hands down. When you factor in both regular and postseason play..defense too, it's gotta be. Outscoring an NBA Finalist in 3 quarters by himself? 81 points? 40ppg in the month of January?

2008 - probably his best all-around season. I still don't think 2006 Kobe would have folded like the '08 version did vs. Boston.

followed by 2003, 2007, and 2001.
    Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy; 11-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Banned

Well, Kobe at least seemed to pay more attention to his defense in 2006. He mentioned wanting to improve at that end after 2005 when his defense really fell off and Phil had made comments on it. He did at least have some performances where he shut down elite scorers like Ray Allen and Vince Carter and he was quicker in '06. I don't remember many impressive defensive games from Kobe in '07 and remember more where he was lit up than '06. Tex Winter also called him out on his defense in '07. It was probably his worst defensive season of his prime outside of maybe 2005, even though I think it was one of his better seasons overall.
    Actually yeah. I started to do a bit more thinking and reminiscing about Kobe's '06 season and he actually did have some games where he was tremendous defensively.

I disagree, 2000 was Kobe's best defensive season, followed by 2001.
    I meant to say Kobe's best defensive seasons as the #1 on his team. Unless you believe Kobe was the #1 in those 3-peat years.

Well, I can't argue with that if that's what you saw. Personally, I didn't really see that.
    Statistically speaking, Kobe had a better TS%, eFG%, and FG% in '07 than he did in any of his other seasons as the #1 on his team.

Kobe Bryant's offensive production in '05-'06: 35.4 ppg, 4.5 apg, 12.2/27.2 FG/FGA ratio, .450 FG%, .559 TS%, .491 eFG%.

Kobe Bryant's offensive production in '06-'07: 31.6 ppg, 5.4 apg, 10.6/22.8 FG/FGA ratio, .463 FG%, .580 TS%, .502 eFG%

Kobe averaged more ppg in '05-'06 but he was clearly less efficient. He had to take about 4-5 fga more a game just to score about 3.5-4 more ppg in '05-'06 and he averaged less assists too. Was there really a difference between Kobe's teammates in '05-'06 to '06-'07? Probably not, the only difference was that Kobe learned how to play more selflessly and decided to get his teammates involved.

Kobe's '06-'07 season was clearly his best offensive season though. I would say that his '07-'08 season was better and his best season because he finally learned how to play selflessly and with that he played tremendous defense on a consistent night to night basis. He simply put it altogether in '07-'08.

People usually say that Kobe was the best player in the league from '06-'08. If we were to evaluate these three years this is what would I say about his weaknesses in each of those seasons.

'05-'06 - Did not play very team oriented
    '06-'07 - Did not play consistent defense
    '07-'08 - Put it altogether and not only was he a great scorer, but played team-oriented basketball and consistent defense.
    Last edited by DaPerceive; 11-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    How was Kobe more 'aesthetically pleasing' in 2007 than in 2006 or 2003? He was far quicker (and more slim) those years. For half of 2007 he was a step slow because of the knee surgery in the off-season.
    Actually, 2003 was when Kobe first bulked up and was about as big as he's been, but was also probably at his athletic peak.

And people gotta stop with the whole 'Kobe matured' in 2007 (or in 2008) crap. He just got better teammates. He really didn't mature until the beginning of the 2009 season..where he became a great leader and teammate.
    How did Kobe change in 2009? He played a similar style in 2008(only better). His team clearly improved, though. Gasol played better and tougher, he had Bynum(not great in the playoffs, but at least some added size) and Ariza played very well for them.

2008 - probably his best all-around season. I still don't think 2006 Kobe would have folded like the '08 version did vs. Boston.
    I'm not sure how Kobe "folded" against Boston. He could've played better, but he went up against an all-time great defense who were able to focus on him due to the lack of help Kobe got in that series.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPerceive
    Actually yeah. I started to do a bit more thinking and reminiscing about Kobe's '06 season and he actually did have some games where he was tremendous defensively.
    I had to go back and revisit his '06 season and pay more attention to his defense. I did that a while ago because '06 was the season I watched the least basketball of the last decade, and I remember getting more caught up in his scoring because some of the feats were hard to believe.

I meant to say Kobe's best defensive seasons as the #1 on his team. Unless you believe Kobe was the #1 in those 3-peat years.
    As the number 1 option? Yeah, I'd say those were his 2 best defensive seasons. But by 2001, he was scoring more than most first options anyway, he scored more than everyone not named Iverson, Stackhouse and Shaq.

Statistically speaking, Kobe had a better TS%, eFG%, and FG% in '07 than he did in any of his other seasons as the #1 on his team.

Kobe Bryant's offensive production in '05-'06: 35.4 ppg, 4.5 apg, 12.2/27.2 FG/FGA ratio, .450 FG%, .559 TS%, .491 eFG%.

Kobe Bryant's offensive production in '06-'07: 31.6 ppg, 5.4 apg, 10.6/22.8 FG/FGA ratio, .463 FG%, .580 TS%, .502 eFG%

Kobe averaged more ppg in '05-'06 but he was clearly less efficient. He had to take about 4-5 fga more a game just to score about 3.5-4 more ppg in '05-'06 and he averaged less assists too. Was there really a difference between Kobe's teammates in '05-'06 to '06-'07? Probably not, the only difference was that Kobe learned how to play more selflessly and decided to get his teammates involved.
    There is a noticeable difference in volume of shots, though, which has to be factored in when talking about efficiency.

He showed that same ability to get his teammates involved in the '06 playoffs vs Phoenix, but it wasn't what he was asked to do during the regular season, and the result was the Lakers overachieving during the regular season.

As far as Kobe's teammates? Well, Walton and Odom were both playing the best basketball of their careers before injuries in '07, and it was the second year that core was together, but given all of the injuries and the limited talent level, they overachieved just as much, if not more in '07.

But the Lakers were 39-38 with Kobe in '07 and 45-30 with him in '06, a pretty significant difference. And once Odom started playing consistently in the second half of '05-'06, the Lakers were on pace for 50+ wins, and it wasn't Kobe's scoring that was holding back Odom either since Kobe scored more in the second half than the first half.

How did Kobe change in 2009? He played a similar style in 2008(only better). His team clearly improved, though. Gasol played better and tougher, he had Bynum(not great in the playoffs, but at least some added size) and Ariza played very well for them.
    He didn't have to put on an act for starters. If you remember, at the beginning of the 2007-08 season, there was a rift between Kobe and the general management (even with the fans). Kobe wanted to be traded. Up until Pau Gasol came, all of that 'better teammate' crap was a facade. In 2009 though, he played with more drive than ever. He was hell-bent to prove he could lead his team to a title as 'the man'. From start-to-finish Kobe took all the negatives turning around his approach. Dude only scored 26ppg that season iirc. Like you said, similar to '08, but better.

I'm not sure how Kobe "folded" against Boston. He could've played better, but he went up against an all-time great defense who were able to focus on him due to the lack of help Kobe got in that series.
    He shot 40%, blew a 20pt lead at home, was blown out in an elimination game. I don't see 2006, a better scoring version, being held to 40% shooting against the Celtics. Moreover; I don't see how circa '06 and Pau Gasol don't dismantle Boston. A healthy Ariza and Bynum would have been nice for LA too.
    Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy; 11-19-2011 at 09:30 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    He didn't have to put on a farce. If you remember, at the beginning of the 2007-08 season, there was rift between Kobe and the general management. Kobe wanted to be traded. It wasn't until Pau Gasol came that he was genuinely happy..and became a better teammate. In 2009, he played with more drive than ever. He was hell-bent to prove he could lead his team to a title as 'the man'. From start-to-finish Kobe took all the negatives turning around his approach. Dude only scored 26ppg that season iirc. Like you said, similar to '08, but better.
    Kobe's trade demands didn't seem to have any negative effect on the team. The Lakers were overachieving early before they even got Gasol. Kobe seemed as motivated as ever in 2008. He lost that weight, focused more on defense than he had in years, still seemed like he had the ability to average 32-33 ppg if he wanted to, but didn't. I've never seen him manage games better than he did during that season. And that was the season that I saw his teammates benefit more from his presence and play than any other season. Virtually all of the role players and shooters had career seasons, or close to it, and I credit that to Kobe's play. The game seemed to come easier to him than ever and through the first 3 rounds of the playoffs, he carried the Lakers putting up 32/6/6, 51 FG%/61 TS%.

He shot 40%, blew a 20pt lead at home, was blown out in an elimination game. I don't see 2006, a better scoring version, being held to 40% shooting against the Celtics. Moreover; I don't see how circa '06 and Pau Gasol don't dismantle Boston. A healthy Ariza and Bynum would have been nice for LA too.
    Shooting 41% with that Celtic defense focusing on you is understandable. I expected more considering his unbelievable play through the first 3 rounds, but it's easy to see why he struggled. And given how Pau played, I don't see any version of Kobe dismantling Boston with Pau playing like that.

Kobe's trade demands didn't seem to have any negative effect on the team. The Lakers were overachieving early before they even got Gasol. Kobe seemed as motivated as ever in 2008. He lost that weight, focused more on defense than he had in years, still seemed like he had the ability to average 32-33 ppg if he wanted to, but didn't. I've never seen him manage games better than he did during that season. And that was the season that I saw his teammates benefit more from his presence and play than any other season. Virtually all of the role players and shooters had career seasons, or close to it, and I credit that to Kobe's play. The game seemed to come easier to him than ever and through the first 3 rounds of the playoffs, he carried the Lakers putting up 32/6/6, 51 FG%/61 TS%.
    I'm not saying 2009 Kobe was better than he was in 2008; I do think he was more motivated because of that Finals loss though. He was more wise and had a full-offseason to work with Pau and his teammates who weren't healthy the year previously. The Lakers benefited tremendously, look at the results.

Far from a fan of Kobe's personality, but I've seen most of the guy's career and I'm telling you, Kobe wouldn't shoot 41% from the field against the 2008 Boston Celtics had he been as agile or mobile as he once was in 2006. Had Kobe been surrounded with the same supporting cast he was in '08 and '09, he'd do everything you're giving him credit for, but better, faster, and more consistently. People forget Kobe was the only viable offensive weapon in 2006. He had no one who could take defensive pressure off of him (Odom had his nights but he was still pretty raw and inconsistent).

It's sort of like A.I with the Sixers. The moment he was surrounded with players that could score, his shooting percentages, decision making and overall basketball IQ went up.

Top 5:
    5. 2009
    4. 2007
    3. 2008
    2. 2006
    1. 2003