Lightbulb What if the NBA went back to awarding 2 foul shots for a foul behind the arc?

Younger fans probably don't realize it, but the rules were changed so that players were...

"Awarded three foul shots for any player fouled while attempting a three-point field goal."

If they went back to the old rule, wouldn't it allow players to defend a little more aggressively? Since players aren't allowed to handcheck, this would at least make them less fearful of giving the offensive player three freebies, and maybe encourage them to play their man a little closer on all possessions near the arc.

Also, maybe it would put an end to those ridiculous offensive flops we still occasionally see.

Default Re: What if the NBA went back to awarding 2 foul shots for a foul behind the arc?

I don't think that would work in today's league. Curry & Thompson would probably get intentionally hacked on several 3 point attempts

Default Re: What if the NBA went back to awarding 2 foul shots for a foul behind the arc?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    I don't think that would work in today's league. Curry & Thompson would probably get intentionally hacked on several 3 point attempts
    Nah, statistically that would put the fouling team in a worse position. And if hes open, then its he might and-one it.