Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Real players' height - yesterday's real life photo with Carlos Arroyo and JJ Barea

Carlos Arroyo - http://postimg.org/image/ccqr1ubhp and

JJ Barea - http://postimg.org/image/4la13a7cd/

Both were taken yesterday at the Belgrade Trophy tournament in Belgrade, Serbia. I'm the guy on the left side of the frame.

Now, I read an article today where this guy (in his words a tad under 6 feet) claims he was standing next to Barea and how the latter was basically his height.
    The whole article

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/article...s-about-height

is about how people overemphasizing the inflated height of NBA players (examples including Barea, Kevin Love, etc.) are full of shit.

This is the first time I have stood next to a NBA player. I am 5'10 and a half barefoot (I have been measured 5'11 barefoot in the army, but that was like 25 years ago, I guess I must have shrinked half an inch in the meantime) and notwithstanding the picture, I thought I have two inches on Barea. One inch is more likely, since my head is like twice the size of his. So, if someone would ask me what's Barea's real height, I'd say 5-9 barefoot and anywhere between 5-10 and 5-11 in shoes.

Regarding Arroyo, the guy is listed at 6-2. In the picture there seems to almost no height difference, probably due his smaller head and realistically one inch of difference if you look at Arroyo's shoulder line exceeding mine.

All in all, I felt the guy is honestly 6 feet in shoes.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Default Re: Real players' height - yesterday's real life photo with Carlos Arroyo and JJ Barea

Height and photographs.

Are you guys ever gonna get a gripe on perspective?

We don't even see the feet for god's sake

Default Re: Real players' height - yesterday's real life photo with Carlos Arroyo and JJ Barea

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    Height and photographs.

You are right, but trust me, we were standing right next to each other, though you can't really ascertain it based on the photo. I was looking both of them from like a feet's distance.

No way is Arroyo anywhere to 6-2 and Barea to 6 feet.

That is not to belitttle their game. Though the defences weren't particularly tight, Arroyo looked sharp against Turkey (though his team lost), creating space for shooting and drives at will, having like a dozen incredible crossovers to get by his man. His shot wouldn't fall though. Perceived lack of height didn't bother him, although it may be a handicap in international basketball (less space, clogged passing lanes and paints, 6-6 guards a common place).

The same with Barea. Though visibly a lesser player than Arroyo, he nonetheless appeared very quick, also shooting and driving at will.

Looking at both of them on the court in motion, you'd think they were a couple of inches taller. There was also this guy Campazzo playing for Argentina, seemed Barea's height, deceptively quick, excellent ball handling and passing, will try to take a photo next to him today (they are playing in for the third place of the tournament against Puerto Rico).

BTW both Arroyo and Barea were class acts, taking picture after picture with kids with a big smile on their faces.

NBA players are still tall as shit.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    NBA players are still tall as shit.
    Just not these ones.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Cool post op. Thanks for sharing!

JJ Barrea was measured at 5'10" back in 2006.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...uan-Barea-171/

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko
    Carlos Arroyo - http://postimg.org/image/ccqr1ubhp and

JJ Barea - http://postimg.org/image/4la13a7cd/

Both were taken yesterday at the Belgrade Trophy tournament in Belgrade, Serbia. I'm the guy on the left side of the frame.

Now, I read an article today where this guy (in his words a tad under 6 feet) claims he was standing next to Barea and how the latter was basically his height.
    The whole article

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/article...s-about-height

is about how people overemphasizing the inflated height of NBA players (examples including Barea, Kevin Love, etc.) are full of shit.

This is the first time I have stood next to a NBA player. I am 5'10 and a half barefoot (I have been measured 5'11 barefoot in the army, but that was like 25 years ago, I guess I must have shrinked half an inch in the meantime) and notwithstanding the picture, I thought I have two inches on Barea. One inch is more likely, since my head is like twice the size of his. So, if someone would ask me what's Barea's real height, I'd say 5-9 barefoot and anywhere between 5-10 and 5-11 in shoes.

Regarding Arroyo, the guy is listed at 6-2. In the picture there seems to almost no height difference, probably due his smaller head and realistically one inch of difference if you look at Arroyo's shoulder line exceeding mine.

All in all, I felt the guy is honestly 6 feet in shoes.
    Thanks for sharing Arroyo looks old as you and he still a top 10 player in Euroleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Thanks for sharing Arroyo looks old as you and he still a top 10 player in Euroleague.
    I have 9 years on him, you don't do him justice:)

He's not a TOP 10 Euroleague player, but he is surely in the Top 10 of point guards.

I'm just leaving for the arena to see Puerto Rico-Argentina and Serbia-Turkey, hopefully I get more interesting pics.

Cheers.

real proof that NBA inflates height too much.

NBA players listed their players height while wearing their sneakers.

Kobe 6'4 3/4" listed at 6'6". 6'7" when he still has an afro.

you're pretty sexy

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    Height and photographs.

How the f**k you gonna call out the poster who's actually in the damn pictures?

Nice story. I do often wonder how NBA players look next to me, and this thread is kind of that.

While I still picture most NBA SGs way taller than your average Joe, I was impressed by the pics. Without the exact measurements, I would've thought Arroyo is much taller so this puts things a bit in perspective. Only NBA player I picture smaller than me (5'11)is Nate Robinson, and I can bet his frame would terrorize me if I ever cross him.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

The players have to be bigger then life. There weight is fake too. NBA is like wrestling with the BS stats.