Da Mavs

Default Laker News: Phil Jackson opens up about Lakers, Buss Family, Dwight Howard, etc.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1869987

Incredible to read...fascinating to get this sort of glimpse into the behind the scenes stuff. I've always enjoyed reading Phil's books. He just has a way of interesting the reader.

Anyway, mods or someone can edit w/ specific quotes....but he opens up about how he got jipped for the HC spot for Mike D, the Buss family post Dr. Buss' death, and the Dwight recruiting.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default Re: Phil Jackson opens up about Lakers, Buss Family, Dwight Howard, etc.

wow, this post is awesome! thank you! there are so many tidbits that i was not aware of but suspected...

this one, however, i knew from my own analysis of the situation:

"Several weeks later, the story came out that Dr. Buss, not Jimmy, had made the decision to go with D

Da Mavs

Default Re: Phil Jackson opens up about Lakers, Buss Family, Dwight Howard, etc.

Glad you liked it Mike! Phil opens up like no other. Feels like he should be with the Laker organization right now, not the Knicks...but oh well.

PJ Interview about the Knicks challenge 7-18-14
    Talks about the NY media pressure cooker, bleak forecast with contracts and salary cap.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1871529

After reading this, it amazes me he took the job.
    I was......
    Last edited by DixieNourmous; 07-18-2014 at 10:15 PM.

NBA All-star

I think Jim Buss may be taking blame that doesn't belong to him here.

I honestly don't think the inability to resign Dwight Howard really hurts the organization that much. It's as much as having the Chris Paul trade being blocked.

The only person that could have justified Kobe's contract as well as making Kobe with any other superstar work, as Jeannie said, would have been Dr. Buss.

But then I highly doubt there's ever going to be another "Kobe contract" written out by the Lakers, since I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with remembering Dr. Jerry Buss.

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Excellent read, thanks D Rose!

Just read it...why am I so depressed?

Love my Lakers though.....and I miss Dr. Buss.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Just read it...why am I so depressed?
    This is a good question to ask... and I think it is because we have all suspected at some level that family dynamics in Laker management have lead to some questionable decisions and behaviors, much different than what we had grown accustomed to with Dr. Buss.

People don't like to openly admit it, but this could be the end of a organizational dynasty. You combine the dysfunctional management changes with the real challenges of the new CBA, and it could be many, many years until the Lakers have a competitive team on the floor again.

I love the Lakers and want success, but it does kill me to see some of the patterns of decisions that have happened in the last few years. I truly hope that a light bulb goes off and the Buss kids start to work as a true team and take the advice that their Dad gave them on how to run an organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    This is a good question to ask... and I think it is because we have all suspected at some level that family dynamics in Laker management have lead to some questionable decisions and behaviors, much different than what we had grown accustomed to with Dr. Buss.

People don't like to openly admit it, but this could be the end of a organizational dynasty. You combine the dysfunctional management changes with the real challenges of the new CBA, and it could be many, many years until the Lakers have a competitive team on the floor again.

I love the Lakers and want success, but it does kill me to see some of the patterns of decisions that have happened in the last few years. I truly hope that a light bulb goes off and the Buss kids start to work as a true team and take the advice that their Dad gave them on how to run an organization.

You know some unfortunate situations have happened so it's not all their fault.
    They went after CP3 and HAD a deal until "Basketball Reasons" became a legal catch phrase. Bynum's knees also gave in...he was the future of the franchise and Jim Buss LOVED this guy. If Bynum's knee held up we would still be a great shape right now.

Going after Dwight...the Nash deal....Kobe's contract...hiring Mike D......all that are results of Bynum's knees and For Bball reasons. That stuff never happens I think Phil would still be around...we would have Paul and Bynum or Paul and Howard wot play with Kobe....looking at a different reality there.

My point is that they went after the moves to make this team better for the future and some unfortunate things became our reality.

Let's hope we get some breaks coming our way soon.

Go Lakes!!!

Amazing how few times the Lakers had those "bad breaks" when Dr. Buss was the owner.... coincidence or just good decisions?