Go Spurs Go

Default Is anyone here great at coding java?

if so, please tell your story, what you know, and how you got to be where you are. im currently learning on the side.. im using linux because i dont like eclipse :) also if you have any favorite links , post em

Default Re: Is anyone here great at coding java?

Chemical engineering major at UW. Took CS 302 this semester, an intro to Java programming course to see if I might be interested in Comp sci or comp eng down the road..found out within a month it wasn't for me.

Partly because my professor is a fat slut who basically started teaching the class with the assumption that everyone had extensive prior coding experience, even though it's a ****ing intro class.

I can totally see why some people are in love with coding, but I think I'm gonna stick with Chemical

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Chemical engineering major at UW. Took CS 302 this semester, an intro to Java programming course to see if I might be interested in Comp sci or comp eng down the road..found out within a month it wasn't for me.

Partly because my professor is a fat slut who basically started teaching the class with the assumption that everyone had extensive prior coding experience, even though it's a ****ing intro class.

I can totally see why some people are in love with coding, but I think I'm gonna stick with Chemical
    inb4 milbuck starts cooking meth walter white of ish

I went to school for graphic design, shifted to web design, and ended up getting into programming because of Flash, Javascript, and PHP. After realizing a lot of the things I wanted to do were going to require better programming skills I took some classes in Java and C#.

I worked as a web developer for a while, but for the last 4+ years I've been a full on software engineer working in the automotive infotainment industry. I use Actionscript, Java, C++ (Qt) , HTLM5/CSS, Javascript, and Lua mostly at work, but that changes often. I think at this point I can code pretty well in any language after taking a day to get to know the syntax.

My favorite link is google.

I was a chem eng major and quit because chem is not for me lol

I am a comp major now.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    I went to school for graphic design, shifted to web design, and ended up getting into programming because of Flash, Javascript, and PHP. After realizing a lot of the things I wanted to do were going to require better programming skills I took some classes in Java and C#.

I worked as a web developer for a while, but for the last 4+ years I've been a full on software engineer working in the automotive infotainment industry. I use Actionscript, Java, C++ (Qt) , HTLM5/CSS, Javascript, and Lua mostly at work, but that changes often. I think at this point I can code pretty well in any language after taking a day to get to know the syntax.

My favorite link is google.
    Lol at the last sentence.

Im on my second year as comp undergraduate and i am trying to master logical programming so I can code on any language after learning the syntax. I am currently trying to learn C++ do I can jump to Java and work on apps for android OS

Not a lot of production experience with it but used it a bit in academia and personally. I can dig it the GC and the auto memory management, but the lack of operator overloading was a bit strange at first, although minor.

First real language I learned was VB 6.0 in high school, then a very basic intro to Java when it was still a relatively new language, then AS 2.0 back when flash was all the rage in the mid 2000s, then some basic PHP and JS, then onto C, C++, Assembly and more Java in college, then C# on my own out of curiosity, then real PHP/JS working with LAMP stacks up to the present. I haven't had the opportunity to do much development that actually requires manual compiling since undergrad. Just a lot of building websites and web apps for clients and fixing existing shit.
    Last edited by shaq2000; 03-05-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Who here is actually great though?

Banned

*farts*

Biomedical Engineering major here. You take that transport (fluid dynamics/mass transfer) class yet? The one at my university was adopted from the ChemE version, damn it was some intense shit.

Relevant to to the topic: very poor java coder here.