Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Do you eat Taco Bell?

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Lawsuit: Taco Bell Ground Beef Is Really Just "Meat Filling"[/FONT]

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - What's in a name? That's the question at the heart of a class action lawsuit Montgomery, Alabama law firm Beasley Allen filed targeting fast food giant Taco Bell. The lawsuit claims the company uses "false advertising" on its menu and in its advertisements.

WSFA 12 News contacted the Taco Bell Corporation for a response to the lawsuit. Company spokesman Rob Poetsch issued this statement::

"Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree. We deny our advertising is misleading in any way and we intend to vigorously defend the suit.

"The complaint alleges that what Taco Bell calls "beef" doesn't meet the minimum requirements set by the USDA to be called "beef" or "seasoned ground beef" or anything of the kind.

"Rather than beef, these food items are actually made with a substance known as "taco meat filling," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit states that Taco Bell should refer to its product as "taco meat filling" because it contains mostly "extenders" and other non-meat substances.

What are these substances? The document lists water, "Isolated Oat Product," wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch and sodium phosphate as well as beef and seasonings.

The USDA defines "beef" as "flesh of cattle."

The definition as read in the lawsuit states "Ground beef" "shall consist of chopped fresh and/or frozen beef with or without seasoning and without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water, phosphates, binders, or extenders."

The USDA policy book requires food labeled as "taco filling" to contain "at least 40 percent fresh meat," and the label must show the true product name.

In containers shipped to Taco Bell stores, not seen by consumers, the label reads: "Taco Meat Filling."

Beasley Allen law firm adds that what Taco Bell is marketing as beef only contains 36% meat.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 01-25-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Do you eat Taco Bell?

Still tastes descent, is cheap and convenient which is why i will continue to go there.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist
    Still tastes descent, is cheap and convenient which is why i will continue to go there.
    Exactly, may not be very healthy, but that's why I continue to go there.

36% meat though.

Trust me, if you laid off the Taco Bell and processed foods for a few months and then went and tried some it would make you sick.

Stick to farmer's markets/raw foods/home cooked meals....it'll make you feel better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
    Exactly, may not be very healthy, but that's why I continue to go there.

Gotta think long term amigo.

And you could make tacos for .69 a piece just go to taco bell and get some free sauces

I love meat filling in my crunch wrap

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino

You from Cali I know they have Taco stands everywhere [they do here in Utah], why would you eat Taco Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    I told you not to come back!

I remember seeing taco bells over here years ago.. don't think we have them anymore though..

Hell no I don't. Maybe once a year, and that will be due to it being like a last option for whatever insane reason, but typically I stay far away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Gotta think long term amigo.

And you could make tacos for .69 a piece just go to taco bell and get some free sauces
    The food you eat is not the only thing that effects your life span. Where you live, genes and other factors do as well. I enjoy saving, eating good food and the convenience. I want to live my life enjoying every step of it. Therefore i will eat what i want throughout life to fully enjoy it.

You from Cali I know they have Taco stands everywhere [they do here in Utah], why would you eat Taco Bell?
    Havent gone in over a year but i dont mind it, and yes taco stands and such are all over the place about 3 within a 10 minute walk.

there are a few fast food places that I now refues to go to in my old age, lol

Taco Bell is one of them...

yeah that stuff was kinda good when I was like 21...now I find it completely uneatable, and that food makes me feel AWFUL after I eat it...

I will eat a few things at Taco Bueno still though...but it is rare

I also refuse Burger King...YUCK...that new burger they show on TV with cheese and peppers IN THE MEAT?...YUCK...why not just use a slice of cheese and actual peppers?...gotta trick it up all silly to remind us it isn't real food?

Jack in the Box is another...although I think I could find a few things on that menu I could eat...I actually used to like their tacos even though they are mush dipping in grease...

for the most part I now try to avoid fast food at all costs...it is a last resort for me...

36% meat though.

Trust me, if you laid off the Taco Bell and processed foods for a few months and [COLOR="Red"]then went and tried some it would make you sick.[/COLOR]

Stick to farmer's markets/raw foods/home cooked meals....it'll make you feel better in the long run.
    that happens to me now...

I don't eat fast food that often...sometimes I will dive straight into a huge "meal deal" burger and fries and I feel like complete SHIT right after...it will ruin my day even...

Banned

^ Do you not buy burger patties from the Deli? They put cheese in the hambuger to keep it moist. It's delicious and makes a world of difference. That's why they say not to judge unless you've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist
    ^ Do you not buy burger patties from the Deli? They put cheese in the hambuger to keep it moist. It's delicious and makes a world of difference. That's why they say not to judge unless you've tried it.
    I buy ground beef from the grocery store, which is probably not the great, I understand...but it isn't "grade D" beef that fast food joints use either...

Bell and those other places use the cheapest worst possible ingrediants they can use without it being just flat out "illegal"...