Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Most Disappointing Rookies (2016)

Here we go. Most rookies don't help their teams win. And many players -- including the great Kevin Durant -- have also failed to make a positive impact in Year 2. At the same time, we want to see lottery picks demonstrate that they are putting it together and fulfilling the hopes that teams and fans hold for them. Today we'll look at seven highly-touted rookies and sophomores who've been particularly disappointing during the first half of the 2015-16 campaign. (In Part II, we'll examine veteran players who've failed to live up to expectations.) Struggling rookies

Rocky start in Philly: Jahlil Okafor The Philadelphia 76ers have been woeful throughout Sam Hinkie's tenure as general manager. And the play of Jahlil Okafor, the No. 3 pick in the 2015 draft, is one reason we're now witnessing the third straight season of Hinkie Era woe. While Okafor is averaging nearly 20 points and nine boards per 36 minutes of play, those numbers are the NBA equivalent of empty calories. Philly has been outscored by a staggering 19.2 points per 100 possessions with Okafor on the court. If any team played an entire season that poorly, it would shatter the all-time record for futility. And yet with Okafor on the bench, the Sixers have actually put up a respectable net efficiency of -2.5, a bit better than this year's Washington Wizards. So it's perhaps no surprise that Okafor currently ranks dead last in RPM (at -6.90) among all active players.

NBA-ready or not: Emmanuel Mudiay Mudiay, who skipped college to play professional ball last year in China, was scouted as a more NBA-ready prospect than the typical one-and-done freshman. But it has been a rough adjustment for the Denver rookie so far. The Nuggets' young point guard has put up by far the lowest true shooting percentage (38.0) of any player in the league, and he has coughed up a devastating number of turnovers -- 4.9 per 36 minutes on the court. Not only has he compiled the worst offensive RPM (-4.65) of any NBA point guard, but Mudiay's total RPM (-6.15) value exceeds that of only one other player this year: Jahlil Okafor. Mario Hezonja's ball-handling is just one of his problems so far. Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty

Images Not so super: Mario Hezonja When the Orlando Magic tabbed Hezonja with the fifth pick of the 2015 draft, they presumably had a player who could immediately strengthen their wing rotation. After all, the 6-foot-8 Croatian had just logged two seasons of solid Euroleague play, and he was a year older than one-and-done prospects like D'Angelo Russell. But Hezonja hasn't looked much like "Super Mario" in the early going. While Magic coach Scott Skiles has dutifully played him in 34 of 37 games thus far, Hezonja's on-court impact has been a big net negative. In fact, his offensive RPM (-1.56) and defensive RPM (-2.01) both suggest a level of play below that of the mythical "replacement player." Offensively, Hezonja has been a turnover machine, giving up the ball on 21.1 percent of all the possessions he has used (one of the highest turnover rates in the league). And although his 3-point shooting stroke is just as sweet as advertised -- he has converted on 41.1 percent from 3-point range -- he has struggled to find other ways to contribute. Touted as an elite dunker out of FC Barcelona, Super Mario has thrown it down only four times all season. He has also shown a lackluster ability to get to the line, and he's not doing much to set up his teammates, either. In fairness, though, Hezonja has been averaging only 13 minutes per game for Orlando -- and has even been asked to play out of position on occasion as a point guard off the bench -- so it's perhaps no surprise that he's still finding his way. Slumping sophomores

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Most Disappointing Rookies (2016)

Mudiay has been shocking to me. I didn't think much of the philly pick and I didn't have a feeling for Orlando's but I thought he was going to be an impact player. One must however give him credit for his confidence because not many players would keep shooting like he does.

did you copy/paste that?

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    did you copy/paste that?
    Yes

Lakers Win

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Mudiay was given the reigns. He was leading the team in FGA, taking extremely difficult and often at times stupid shots. He's been careless with the ball and the numbers are skewed by some really bad nights. 11, 9, 7 turnovers in 3 games.

He's only 19 years old. He got hurt in China. He's 12 games away from making the jump straight from HS to the NBA. He's shown flashes. 11 dimes, 1 turnover. Had 11 dimes the next game but had the crazy turnovers. Had the 18/6/5 game @ Portland with the clutch assist, score, block. 26/5/3 @ PHX. 17/9/5 at Houston with the lazy turnovers that kinda ruined it.

Most young PG's struggle with turnovers. I don't even care about that until atleast next season. It's his shot selection/broken jumper that worry me. 23 games in and when he comes back hopefully he takes a back seat and his efficiency climbs. He's got crazy potential as a playmaker/defender. His scoring has deff been disappointing. Mostly because it's his own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    did you copy/paste that?
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Yes

It's considered good form to provide the link or at least acknowledge you copied it in the OP

What happened to the Kings rookie? Cauley stine or whatever his name was? Thought he was meant to be a beast??

Russell looking a lot better as the season goes on..

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    What happened to the Kings rookie? Cauley stine or whatever his name was? Thought he was meant to be a beast??

Russell looking a lot better as the season goes on..
    Didn't he get injured?

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    It's considered good form to provide the link or at least acknowledge you copied it in the OP
    OP was trying to claim it

its from espns half hack columns... i read the first paragraph on espn until the must be an insider idiot to read our shit

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    Lakers Win

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    OP was trying to claim it
    If I was trying to claim it, why would I admit to copying it, you dunce

#1 has to be Russell.. Keeps the #2 pick bust curse alive.. But for real.. What happened with the PG Brandon roy?

Looks more like a poor mans Jordan farmar

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    If I was trying to claim it, why would I admit to copying it, you dunce
    Because you were already busted?