Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Where does Steve Nash rank on the all-time PG list?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Good post. [COLOR="Red"]I don't think defense at the PG position is as impactful as everywhere else. At the end of the day the PG will always guard the other PG, and no one else. Isn't like a SG or SF where they guard 1-3, or like a big man where defense is vital.
    [/COLOR]
    Nash had better PG skills than both Kidd and Stockton. Like you said, probably the best passer out of the 3, scorer, and far away the better shooter. Those are the 3 most important skills for a PG.
    Sort of disagree about the part in red. Your strengths or weaknesses as a defender will dictate that. For instance, Kevin Johnson guarded MJ regularly because he had the quickness that Majerle didn't. Ditto for Payton over Hersey Hawkins on MJ. Ditto for CP3, who is a GOAT level defender at the PG position and has guarded 1-3, even Durant at times. On the flip side, if you are a bad defender, you need to be hidden, like Magic at times.

Also, your ability to attract other defenders besides PGs to guard you is also something to consider. A guy like CP3 has regularly attracted the attention of the opposition's best defenders, like Kawai or Klay or Allen, etc over the years because their PG couldn't handle CP3 alone.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

What makes Stockton and Kidd better players than Nash? Defense at the PG position is probably the least important. Aside from that, Nash possesses all the qualities that make a PG valuable, more so than both these guys. Even if you consider them equal as passers, Nash was so much more equipped and dangerous on the offensive end than both these guys. .
    Bolded is a very ignorant statement, if you can do something unique at your position and greatly impact the game with it, it is somehow still worth less? Nonsense.

Nash is to Dirk as Kidd is to KG.. its a matter of preference and making a definitive statement either way pretty much removes your credibility.

Decent playground baller

I don't think defense at the PG position is as impactful as everywhere else.
    PG is arguably the most important position on offense. So why would it be not impactful to limit the guy running the offense?

Another thing about Nash is that you really had to cater your whole offense around him. I don't want to call it a gimmicky type offense but it bordered on that. Stockton was obviously ball dominant too but not to the extent of Nash. Nash did a lot of probing with a live dribble all over the court, including his regular forays on the baseline. With Stockton, you could run a more traditional P&R offense or have him dump it down to the post.

Stockton was clearly the 2nd best player on a team that went to 2 finals and competed very well with MJ's Bull in both finals. Both finals were ultra competitive and a couple missed shots here and there from MJ could've meant a title or two for Stockton. I just think to win, Stockton was better for your team with given the fact that you could run a more traditional offense with him.
    Last edited by ClipperRevival; 01-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.

top 5 imo.

Magic
    Oscar
    Isaiah
    Kidd
    Nash

Plowking ;

Yes , I think Nash had better peak too . 2005 was special year , like Curry's last year . But Stockton had better prime and career .

They aren't equal on playmaking , Stockton had 3-4 more assists than Nash in their prime . Nash had shooting and scoring . But Steals also make impact on offence . Stockton had 1.5-2 more steals per game . I can say they are equal on offence when looks the total impacts .

Stout ;

Kidd and Nash are close to me . But Payton isn't on the same level to them .

Curry just played in 3 playoffs .

It seems Nash's stock has gone up the last couple years on this board. I used to be considered a Nash "apologist" and now I see he's getting more praise than even I would deem worthy. I have him top 10.

When Nash was in his prime he was an average defender. When he got up in years his D predictably suffered but he wasn't as bad a defender as his reputation suggests.

Personally I would take him over Isiah. Isiah had poor scoring efficiency and wasn't a very motivated defender. He was already in decline when the Pistons won their first title.

Isiah was out of the league at 32. Nash averaged 17/11 with a 50/40/90 season at age 33. Easy call for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stout
    PG is arguably the most important position on offense. So why would it be not impactful to limit the guy running the offense?

Bigs have far more impact defensively than guards because they protect the rim and are involved in more plays defensively.

Sidney Moncrief, Alvin Robertson, Michael Jordan, and Gary Payton are the only guards to have ever won DPOY.

Banned

Steve Nash benefitted greatly from the rule changes in the mid 00s. So did all of the other perimeter stars like Kobe, Iverson, etc.

That's why his stats are better than John Stockton.

But you can't hurt him for the rules he played in.

Nash is one of the very best offensive players of all-time. And his position doesn't call for much defense(PG).

He is DEFINETLY top 5. I would even have him top 3 with Magic, and Stockton.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Generally very underrated. I'd put him 4th behind Magic, Oscar and Stockton. Curry will likely pass Nash within a few years honestly. Paul has a chance to pass Nash as well but i don't see it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Steve Nash benefitted greatly from the rule changes in the mid 00s. So did all of the other perimeter stars like Kobe, Iverson, etc.

That's why his stats are better than John Stockton.

But you can't hurt him for the rules he played in.

Nash is one of the very best offensive players of all-time. And his position doesn't call for much defense(PG).

He is DEFINETLY top 5. I would even have him top 3 with Magic, and Stockton.
    you can a little when comparing him to guys who had to play under tougher conditions..

Nash's peak came when he was already old by nba standards, and it only came once they stopped allowing defenders to hang on people. And it also came when he was given a stacked offensive squad with an offense only approach.

The conditions really couldn't be more tailor made.

If you drop Steve on an average to inept offensive squad in any other time period besides the 80s west, he's probably a poor man's mark price with more injuries.

Where as a guy like Jason Kidd can play on any team in any environment.. slow defensive team in slug it out era? yup. High octane offense in a faster paced less physical era? yup. It doesn't matter where you place Kidd. He is so well rounded and flexible his game can thrive pretty much anywhere. Nash's needs a certain set of requirements, or he isn't going to be steve nash.

Definitely Top 7, arguably Top 5

Magic
    Oscar
    Frazier
    Zeke
    Kidd
    Paul
    Stockton
    Cousy
    Nash
    Payton

Top 10.