Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Kanter is the bargain of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    You mean Pleiss and Jerrett? Two "prospects" that weren't ever going to sniff the floor in OKC and, best-case-scenario, become solid 7th or 8th men on a decent team, if that? And Novak is making $3.75M next year. OKC is already likely going to be paying the luxury tax and his contract will be an expirer, so I'm sure he'll get dealt at some point anyway.

The trade has worked out wonderfully for both sides. When healthy, OKC doesn't need Kanter to be anything special on defense because OKC has the pieces already in place to mask a lot Kanter's defensive deficiencies. They badly need his low-post scoring ability and, now all of a sudden, he's actually turned into a decent and willing passing big. And it's obviously made Utah a better team. Same thing with the Reggie Jackson/Detroit trade. Somehow OKC was involved in a three team trade at the deadline that managed to workout pretty great for all three teams which almost never happens.
    If he continues to shoot around the 60% mark and crash the board, I think we could take the defensive hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz
    what did the Heat give up for Hassan?

or did they pick up through FA?
    He was on a D-league squad when they signed him for nothing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

You mean Pleiss and Jerrett? Two "prospects" that weren't ever going to sniff the floor in OKC
    Who knows? Sounds like they almost brought Pleiss over this year and Jerrett is only 21 and can stretch the floor. Going to need some cheap options if they pay Kanter.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Who knows? Sounds like they almost brought Pleiss over this year and Jerrett is only 21 and can stretch the floor. Going to need some cheap options if they pay Kanter.
    They have Adams on his rookie contract for two more seasons and McGary on his rookie contract for three more seasons after this one. Both are frontcourt players, like Jerrett and Pleiss, and both have much higher ceilings than Pleiss and Jerrett.

They have Adams on his rookie contract for two more seasons and McGary on his rookie contract for three more seasons after this one. Both are frontcourt players, like Jerrett and Pleiss, and both have much higher ceilings than Pleiss and Jerrett.
    Time will tell. Jazz want bigs that can stretch the floor and Jerrett has done that in the D-league. He's also younger than McGary.

College superstar

ISH.

Where the worst defensive player in the league is a great acquisition.

They have allowed 115+ points in 4 of the last 5 games.

They are going to play Golden State in the first round. Have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    ISH.

Where the worst defensive player in the league is a great acquisition.

They have allowed 115+ points in 4 of the last 5 games.

They are going to play Golden State in the first round. Have fun with that.
    He would be a great acquisition when OKC is fully healthy. In four of those last five games OKC didn't have Ibaka or Durant for all of them and Roberson for two of them. Not only is that OKC's three best defensive players, it's three players who are elite or near elite defenders for their position.

I'm not saying Kanter doesn't have major defensive flaws, because he does. But when fully healthy it's hard to see him being anything other than a positive asset to this team. He's already playing at a high enough level offensively and rebounding well enough to make up for some of his major defensive deficiencies.

And I don't know about other OKC fans, but when I'm talking about how the trade has and/or will work out great for OKC, I'm looking forward to the possibilities and potential of a fully healthy OKC team with Kanter in two next season, not this season. I've accepted the fact that we aren't going to get Durant back this year, so yes, OKC is going to kill us in the 1st round. But it has been very fun and very refreshing to see the chemistry and the lethal pick-n-roll game Westbrook and Kanter have developed.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-25-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Time will tell. Jazz want bigs that can stretch the floor and Jerrett has done that in the D-league. He's also younger than McGary.
    Time will tell what? OKC basically had to choose between Adams, McGary, Jerrett, and Pleiss. Two of them were never going to see playing time for OKC anywhere but for their D-League team, but OKC needed to keep two of them. They chose the two lottery talents who with higher ceilings and also fit their needs better over a draft and stash project and a second round PF who, as of now, really only does one thing decently well and that's stand behind the 3P line and knockdown 3s.

Pleiss and Jerrett very well may workout perfectly in Utah. I hope they do. Salt Lake and the entire state of Utah is a great basketball city/state. But it's not like OKC made a mistake in essentially choosing Adams and McGary over Pleiss and Jerrett.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-25-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Decent playground baller

He has been a big pick up. Too bad the team isn't healthy.

Time will tell what? OKC basically had to choose between Adams, McGary, Jerrett, and Pleiss. Two of them were never going to see playing time for OKC anywhere but for their D-League team, but OKC needed to keep two of them. They chose the two lottery talents who with higher ceilings and also fit their needs better over a draft and stash project and a second round PF who, as of now, really only does one thing decently well and that's stand behind the 3P line and knockdown 3s.

Pleiss and Jerrett very well may workout perfectly in Utah. I hope they do. Salt Lake and the entire state of Utah is a great basketball city/state. But it's not like OKC made a mistake in essentially choosing Adams and McGary over Pleiss and Jerrett.
    Jazz may have had the choice of McGary for all we know and chose the other guys. We don't know who chose what. Jazz had players they wanted and didn't want and Oklahoma had guys they wouldn't trade and would trade. I know Oklahoma has another guy stashed in Europe that the Jazz like.

Standing behind the 3 point line and shooting 3's is one of the biggest assets to have in the game now especially for a big. Kanter and Booker both started shooting them this year because the coach wanted them too. Favors is moving closer to the line. Gobert is hitting them in practice.

Jazz may have had the choice of McGary for all we know and chose the other guys. We don't know who chose what. Jazz had players they wanted and didn't want and Oklahoma had guys they wouldn't trade and would trade. I know Oklahoma has another guy stashed in Europe that the Jazz like.
    They may have, but I highly doubt it. McGary was already showing flashes of his potential before the trade with some very good outings for a rookie who had been on the mend all season. I can't think of any possible scenario where, if given the choice of Pleiss and/or Jerrett over McGary, the OKC front office would not have chosen to stick with McGary.

Standing behind the 3 point line and shooting 3's is one of the biggest assets to have in the game now especially for a big. Kanter and Booker both started shooting them this year because the coach wanted them too. Favors is moving closer to the line. Gobert is hitting them in practice.
    I'm not saying it's not a good asset for a big to have, although I wouldn't say it's one of the biggest/best assets for a big -- I'd still prefer my bigs to be able to score in traffic and around the basket, rebound at a good rate, and defend before I'd want them outside shooting 3s, but it really depends on the rest of the roster. With Jerrett, we don't even really know how good he is as a 3P shooter in the NBA (he shot 1-for-13 from three for the Thunder in his limited time). He's not a good defender and he's not a good rebounder. He's a limited player with a pretty low ceiling, but if he can shoot the three like he's capable, he could prove to be an asset in the long run.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.

He's been great offensively but if he is gonna get major minutes in the playoffs, Golden State will play pick and roll with his man about 50 times a game and score on 45 of them. And you can't go under the screen on Steph Curry.

They may have, but I highly doubt it. McGary was already showing flashes of his potential before the trade with some very good outings for a rookie who had been on the mend all season. I can't think of any possible scenario where, if given the choice of Pleiss and/or Jerrett over McGary, the OKC front office would not have chosen to stick with McGary.
    Would they have said no to the trade if the Jazz demanded McGary is the question. He'd be the Jazz back-up center right now and could have made it easier to let Booker go in the off-season as well. Did the Jazz see him as a better long time fit than the guys they got?

Would they have said no to the trade if the Jazz demanded McGary is the question. He'd be the Jazz back-up center right now and could have made it easier to let Booker go in the off-season as well. Did the Jazz see him as a better long time fit than the guys they got?
    That I don't know, but it's a fair point. They may have returned to the Brook Lopez deal if that was the case, but I'm glad that didn't happen. McGary's biggest concern long term is his health. He's already showing signs of being injury prone, so choosing him long term over someone like Pleiss might prove to be a mistake.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

The bargain of the season was obviously Mozgov, JR Smith and Iman Shumpert for Waiters and a pick. I don't see how that can even be debated at this point. It totally transformed the fortunes of this Cavs team.

But, Kanter was a good value pickup.