Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Arrow Grinder's 2014 Mock Draft

My player evaluations and big board throughout the season can be found here. No explanations for players out of the lottery because I'm sure I'll be moving them around tomorrow. I didn't do player comparisons this time around because I think people focus too much on those and it ends up diluting the discussion.

1. Cavaliers - Andrew Wiggins
    ⁃ With Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters manning the guard positions, Wiggins is the natural fit here. He’s not yet comfortable actively taking over a game and isn’t especially skilled with the ball in his hands. Playing with ball dominant guards who can space the floor and allow him to play within the flow of the game and make a concerted effort defensively may be the best developmental curve for the explosive Canadian. Wiggins and Irving on the break could be electric and be a potential pairing of superstars down the road.
    2. Bucks - Jabari Parker
    ⁃ If you want a guy who’s ready to step in and put up big scoring numbers, Parker is your guy. He was one of the most offensively refined freshmen in the college game since Durant, Carmelo, and Beasley. Now two of those are not like the other, but Parker’s character has never been in question and he looks like he’s ready to play both the 3 and 4 in the NBA. While his defense remains a huge concern, the combination of inside-outside game and underrated explosiveness and court vision makes him a no-brainer for the Bucks who so desperately need a sure thing.
    3. 76ers - Joel Embiid
    ⁃ I know back and foot injuries for big men scare the hell out of NBA teams and a combination of the two probably renders them catatonic. While those concerns are legitimate and we’ve seen the likes of Greg Oden and Sam Bowie have careers decimated by this type of thing, I still don’t see how the Sixers can pass on Embiid. For me, Embiid was the obvious number one pick before these issues came out. Big men with Embiid’s skillset and mobility are so rare that you have to take a chance on him even if it’s a 50-50 shot with the injuries. The Sixers showed the willingness to wait on Nerlens Noel and it’s clear that the rebuilding project is long term so taking a risk on Embiid could end up making the Sixers look like geniuses in a few years.
    4. Magic - Dante Exum
    ⁃ The Magic have solid young pieces at the 2,3,4 and 5 so taking the best point guard with a tremendously high ceiling shouldn’t require much thought.
    5. Jazz - Aaron Gordon
    ⁃ This is a tough pick to project. The Jazz took Enes Kanter with the 3rd overall pick just a few years ago and he’s still just 22 years old. While he hasn’t quite lived up to the lofty expectations, he’s still been good enough that it would be foolish to give up on him so soon. Derrick Favors is steadily improving and is also just 22 years old. I keep seeing the Jazz linked with big men but I don’t think it makes sense this high in the draft if they plan on keeping both Favors and Kanter. Still, at this point in the draft, I don’t see a 2 guard worth taking at this position so I’m going to assume that the Jazz will shop one of their young big men and go with Gordon. The big man from Arizona complements both Favors and Kanter with his effective off the ball game and passing skills. He’d be able to feed Favors for easy looks and provide a scary rim protection. Gordon would also be able to work well off the double teams that Kanter attracts and provide the shot blocking that Kanter doesn’t.
    6. Celtics - Julius Randle
    ⁃ While the Celtics already have Sullinger and Olynyk, I can’t see Randle falling past this point. While his ability to finish over length remains a concern, the combination of strength, explosiveness, motor, and productivity at that size is too much to pass on. I think Randle is arguably the most NBA ready player in this draft along with Jabari Parker. While his upside isn’t quite as high, I always say that he reminds me of a more athletic Zach Randolph. That sounds like a damn good player to me.
    7. Lakers - Marcus Smart
    ⁃ The Lakers need help wherever they can get it but with Steve Nash close to retirement and Nick Young not necessarily being back, Smart makes sense here. He’s got the mentality to succeed in the bright lights of LA and can learn a lot from both Nash and Bryant. He can effectively play both the one and two and has the right tools and competitiveness to play with star players eventually become one himself.
    8. Kings - Noah Vonleh
    ⁃ Vonleh provides an athletic, rim protecting, face up 4 who complements Cousins very well and enjoys considerable upside.
    9. Hornets - Doug McDermott
    ⁃The Hornets need scoring on the wings and especially from the perimeter. There’s obviously questions about how well Dougy Buckets’ game will translate against NBA defenders but he can knock down spot up jumpers if nothing else. Playing with MKG and Henderson will help mask his defensive shortcomings and his array of fakes and odd timed shots may be effective enough for him to put up big scoring numbers even at this level.
    10. 76ers - Nik Stauskas
    ⁃ With Michael-Carter Williams and Nerlens Noel (and possibly Embiid) as building blocks for the future, the Sixers will need perimeter scoring in a big way. Stauskas is one of the best pure shooters in the draft and but isn't as one dimensional as some might think. He can function as a combo guard for short stretches of the game and has shown the ability to finish above the rim and get into the lane a quick first step.
    11. Nuggets - Elfrid Payton
    ⁃ The Nuggets have no clear need at the moment so I think they go with the best player available. Elfrid Payton excels at two things - passing and defense - which are exactly what the Kings need in a lineup full of offensive minded players. Payton makes smart decisions with the ball and thrives in transition. Despite being a junior, he’s the same age as most freshman and enjoys high upside. If he can iron out the jumper, he’ll have a chance to be an all star.
    12. Magic - Jusuf Nurkic
    ⁃ The Magic are loaded with young talent and are in a position to give them time to develop so why not take the chance on a talented 7 footer with an inside-outside game? Nikola Vucevic has shown that he can be a productive player and may be a valuable trade chip down the line with Nurkic eventually growing into the position.
    13. Timberwolves - Gary Harris
    ⁃ The Wolves need shooter and Harris may not be the best pure shooter in the draft but he’s a 2 way player with more to offer than just shooting. He’s NBA ready while still having enough upside to make him an intriguing, yet safe pick at this spot. He should pair will with Rubio and could develop into a more dynamic player off the dribble in a few years.
    14. Suns - Zach Lavine
    ⁃ I think Nik Stauskas could be a great fit for the Suns but Zach LaVine has too much upside to pass up on. In the wide open style the Suns play, LaVine fits like a glove. He’s still extremely raw but he can already shoot and can jump out of the gym. He needs to put on weight and be more disciplined but he’s got all the tools to be an all star caliber player.
    15. Hawks - Kyle Anderson
    16. Bulls - Shabazz Napier
    17. Celtics - James Young
    18. Suns - Dario Saric
    19. Bulls - Adreian Payne
    20. Raptors - Tyler Ennis
    21. Thunder - Rodney Hood
    22. Grizzlies - PJ Hairston
    23. Jazz - Cleanthony Early
    24. Hornets - Glenn Robinson III
    25. Rockets - Patric Young
    26. Heat - Jordan Clarkson
    27. Suns - TJ Warren
    28. Clippers - Jordan Adams
    29. Thunder - Bogdan Bogdanovic
    30. Spurs - Mitch McGary

Second Round:
    31. Bucks - Clint Capela
    32. 76ers - Jarnell Stokes
    33. Cavaliers - Walter Tavares
    34. Knicks - Cory Jefferson
    35. Jazz - KJ McDaniels
    36. Bucks - Nick Johnson
    37. Raptors - Spencer Dinwiddie
    38. Pistons - Jerami Grant
    39. 76ers - Thanasis Antetokuonmpo
    40. Timberwolves - CJ Wilcox
    41. Nuggets - Joe Harris
    42. 76ers - Markel Brown
    43. Hawks - Damien Inglis
    44. Timberwolves - Vasilije Micic
    45. Hornets - DeAndre Daniels
    46. Wizards - Jahii Carson
    47. 76ers - Alessandro Gentile
    48. Bucks - Nikola Jokic
    49. Bulls - Semaj Christon
    50. Suns - Khem Birch
    51. Knicks - Johnny O'Bryant
    52. 76ers - Russ Smith
    53. Timberwolves - Jordan Bachynski
    54. 76ers - Deonte Burton
    55. Heat - CJ Fair
    56. Nuggets - James McAdoo
    57. Pacers - Dwight Powell
    58. Spurs - Aaron Craft
    59. Raptors - Sim Bhullar
    60. Spurs - Melvin Ejim
    Last edited by Grinder; 06-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Default Re: Grinder's 2014 Mock Draft

Can't see Stauskas dropping that low. Even if he drops to that general area, he's not going past the Bulls at 16 or 19, they're looking for shooters.

I think James Young will go somewhere between 15-20 and Aaron Gordon will probably go higher than that.

Other than that, your mock draft is pretty good

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

That was nice but no way Young or Harris go that high and no way Stauskas who is the best shooter in the draft falls that low. Nice job tho. Well done.

Good mock draft. A lot of the picks were the similar to my mock draft.

Mine can be read here if anyone is interested.
    http://wavvey.wordpress.com/2014/06/...ba-mock-draft/

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Can't see Stauskas dropping that low. Even if he drops to that general area, he's not going past the Bulls at 16 or 19, they're looking for shooters.
    I was thinking of Stauskas as a potential Top 10 pick.

I personally really like his game.

Kobelicious

damn ive been a fans of your thread for a while,
    subscribed to your prospect watch thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I was thinking of Stauskas as a potential Top 10 pick.

I personally really like his game.
    Same here. I think he had something like 24-25 points in the elite 8 game against Kentucky, that's when I knew he was gonna be a top 10-15 pick. I think the Hornets would be a good match for both sides.

both kings and hornets should really want stauskas..

Stauskas wouldn't fall past the Hawks I don't think, Bud would love that 3 point stroke

Banned

Don't know if orlando take gordon at 12 not bad though. I hope embiid goes top 3 and we get exum if we don't make a trade.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

I just realized that Milwaukee is only a 90 minute drive from Parker's hometown lmao. Parker to Bucks is a lock.

Nik Stauskas falling out of the lottery? lol.

Definitely won't fall below 16. Bulls would trade 16 and 19 to get him.

Yeah, I'd love it if Stauskas fell that far and OKC got him, but I don't see it happening.

Placing Stauskas was the toughest part for me. I think anything past 15 is too low for him but here's my reasoning:
    - He's a pretty specific player - a sharpshooting 2 guard that can make plays and function as a combo guard. Not all teams can utilize a player like that properly.
    - The teams that need a shooter are the Hornets, Sixers, T-Wolves, Suns, and Bulls.
    - I think the Hornets go for Harris because he's a better two way player and probably has a higher ceiling
    - I have James Young for the Sixers because he's more of a pure scorer and you need one of those guys with such a defense minded core.
    - The Wolves are a possible destination but I think they go with McDermott because of his more expansive offensive repertoire
    - I think the Suns take a gamble on LaVine because he may be able to fill a role already while enjoying tremendous upside
    - I have the Bulls taking two shooters, just not in the conventional sense while filling two positional needs.

Although the more I look at it, the more I think he goes higher. I'll probably have him going 7-8 spots higher when I do some reshuffling.