Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luke Walton rant thread

I still like Luke but...
    I question why his most valuable player like Lou Williams with a PER of 23.57 is just playing 25 mins per game while Brandon Ingram with probably the lowest PER in the league at 6.42 is playing 29 mins the last 10 games.
    Yes, I know there is a learning curve and Brandon will get better as he is learning etc but the team is suffering from turmoil and dejection. Each loss is causing a major minus in their confidence. They drop their shoulders, feet get a bit slower, hands are tighter etc.
    In last nights defeat vs Dallas at home, Ingram played for 32 mins, generating 3pts at 5 shots while Lou played a measly 21 mins, scored 10 pts at only 7 shots.
    Yes, I know Ingram do some things that don't appear in the stats etc but at the end of the day, the players you play NEED TO PRODUCE.
    I also wonder why certain players barely provide screens unlike Steph Curry.
    Clarkson and Russell just wait of the ball instead of doing other stuff.
    There's also very minimal post up plays as they over rely on perimeter shots.
    Their defense still at the bottom of the league.
    The first month, there was excitement as players are "buying" to his vision.
    Great ball movement, players working hard etc but now..... There is still movement but it seems like teams have paid more attention and adjusted....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default Re: Luke Walton rant thread

This season is part of a process to develop players for the long term. To figure out who is going to fit into the new system and who is not. Who is going to mature and who is not. So, while playing Lou Williams more may result in a few more wins for the Lakers, it will not enable them to develop as a team. This has to be viewed as a multi-year process. The journey.....

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    This season is part of a process to develop players for the long term. To figure out who is going to fit into the new system and who is not. Who is going to mature and who is not. So, while playing Lou Williams more may result in a few more wins for the Lakers, it will not enable them to develop as a team. This has to be viewed as a multi-year process. The journey.....
    Yeah but I strongly believe that there is such a thing as playing a kid too much esp if they are "expected to be stars and they are struggling big time"

The guy could not even hit 2 straight FTs and has become really passive out there averaging 5 attempts in 31 minutes. If it's up to him, he'll rather not take any shot at all but he knows he'll be told to try.
    Kwame Brown, Chauncey Billups, Bargnani etc have been expected to be stars and were rushed into learning the ropes asap so they put them out there, take risks and learn on the go. Some like Chauncey make it eventually some have their confidence shattered and become duds.
    Baseball and football players esp QBs are not rushed for a reason....And again, I am not saying to bench the kid but 31 mins when everyone knows he is struggling is too much imo.
    Another thing is he knows his teammates like Lou and Young are REALLY playing hard and making a lot of impact and yet they are playing less than him, whatever happened to earning your minutes bec of strong play rather than," hey you are young, I don't care if you are playing like crap, you get more minutes regardless"
    Lastly, the whole team's morale has been really low. They badly need wins IMO bec the energy and confidence level has been eroding.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

I dont the Lakers goals are to win games (although they want wins). It is for them to get experience on the floor, hence playing time.

Williams is in the game when it matters (i.e. 4th period).

I think we have to be fair here and give the Lakers and Walton a couple of years to figure this out. The Lakers were managed horribly in the last 5+ years so I think stability at the Coaching level is more important than this season or a veterans playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    I dont the Lakers goals are to win games (although they want wins). It is for them to get experience on the floor, hence playing time.

Williams is in the game when it matters (i.e. 4th period).

I think we have to be fair here and give the Lakers and Walton a couple of years to figure this out. The Lakers were managed horribly in the last 5+ years so I think stability at the Coaching level is more important than this season or a veterans playing time.
    Would it really hurt the growth of these young players if you limit their playing time to 20-24 mins instead of 31 minutes esp if they struggling big time?
    IMO, no. I think there is a correlation that Brandon has been very passive with his shots lately, taking a combined 10 attempts in 62 minutes in 2 games which actually is hurting the team IMO. He actually took just 3 3pt shots in 93 minutes which lead to some of his teammates taking bad shots.
    Yes, yes it is a "process" a teaching/learning time etc but what about the paying fans?
    Call me selfish, but I just spent hundreds of hard earned cash to see them play... and lost after lost to bad teams mind you..
    The past 12 bad losses have taken it's toll to their psyche, doubts, frustration and confusion arise, yes, I might be exaggerating a bit but I doubt it....

High School Varsity 6th Man

http://www.lakersnation.com/as-laker...on/2017/01/14/

I have been saying this for weeks, and would love to see what some of the guys coming off the bench can do in a starters role.

Its definitely time to shake things up regardless of how much guys are getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by kkinchen
    http://www.lakersnation.com/as-laker...on/2017/01/14/

I have been saying this for weeks, and would love to see what some of the guys coming off the bench can do in a starters role.

Its definitely time to shake things up regardless of how much guys are getting paid.
    I tend to agree, I've been thinking this for the last month or so myself

At the end of the day, what can it hurt, the only thing that will come out of it is the benefit of getting the young guys playing time and being on the court together

High School Varsity 6th Man

I give Walton credit on how he has developed our young players individually, but I also think he has overlooked certain player combinations that could be really effective. We know Black and Robinson play well together. I also wanted to see Russell/Clarkson on the floor more, as well as Williams/Young and Nance Jr/Randle

Quote Originally Posted by kkinchen
    I give Walton credit on how he has developed our young players individually, but I also think he has overlooked certain player combinations that could be really effective. We know Black and Robinson play well together. I also wanted to see Russell/Clarkson on the floor more, as well as Williams/Young and Nance Jr/Randle
    Please explain to me why your player with the highest PER in the team is just playing 24 mins/game
    It's not like he is 38 years old and has already booked a reservation in advance for room in a nursing home. He is 30 and still has a 2 year contract and can still give you 4 quality years if handled properly.
    Nick Young whose been really working hard on defense is shooting 41% from the 3pt line and still is just playing 26 minutes, less than Deng.
    I understand that Ingram needs to play and be allowed to make mistakes and learn but I strongly believe that there is such a thing as over exposure esp if he is struggling big time.
    Boxers can't "over train", We can't take too much Vitamin A bec it's toxic.....
    Ingram is becoming really passive out there and it's affecting the team's overall flow. Fine, they need to play him extensive minutes, but why the hell did Luke Put Zubac in his dog house for 30 games. Is he playing favorites then?

NBA lottery pick

I think Walton is doing the right thing. At this point he's trying to get the young guys experience. Nothing against Williams but he is not the future of this franchise. Luke needs to develop players who will be here for the long haul. Plus it's not going to be the worst thing in the world if the Lakers end up with one of the top 2 picks in the draft If the Lakers somehow ended up with one of those picks Lou Williams will be gone before next season probably. The top 4 picks are likely PG's. If the Lakers somehow were able to make a trade anyhow it would involve Williams or Clarkson more than likely. I think Williams is a good player but someone is way over rating his play.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think Walton is doing the right thing. At this point he's trying to get the young guys experience. Nothing against Williams but he is not the future of this franchise. Luke needs to develop players who will be here for the long haul. Plus it's not going to be the worst thing in the world if the Lakers end up with one of the top 2 picks in the draft If the Lakers somehow ended up with one of those picks Lou Williams will be gone before next season probably. The top 4 picks are likely PG's. If the Lakers somehow were able to make a trade anyhow it would involve Williams or Clarkson more than likely. I think Williams is a good player but someone is way over rating his play.
    Fair enough, but my question to you with his logic is how come the other young kid Zubac was benched for 35 games.
    After 3 strong games Luke last night decided to play a veteran Tarik Black 16 more minutes than his "future center", while the struggling Ingram is still managing to play 22 minutes.
    I would understand it if Brandon is shutting down his guy every game but according to basketball reference, his defensive rating is at 115 which is not great, a defensive +/- negative 0.8, defensive win shares of .4.
    Again I am not saying bench the kid, ofcourse he needs the time to learn but why the disparity? If your main priority is to teach and guide then so be it, but don't make preferential treatment.

NBA lottery pick

It's just because of the matchup problems he had. Boston went small ball. Gortat was killing him the other night. He's just now getting integrated into the system. He'll have ups and downs.

It's just because of the matchup problems he had. Boston went small ball. Gortat was killing him the other night. He's just now getting integrated into the system. He'll have ups and downs.
    So there were match up problems during the 35 games he didn't play
    There are other slow footed centers in the league and they manage.
    Last night, he played 4 minutes and STILL, the Lakers SUCKED at defense, giving up 62 pts in the first half, 113 for the game.
    First 45 games, with Zubac not playing 35 games and the Lakers is worst in defense, can't blame that on the young boy and again it's not like Brandon is not overmatched at times. During the end of the 2nd period, Crowder overpowered him inside which resulted to a 3pt play, but hey, give the kid some playing time, he needs it, to learn.... but when it comes to Ivica, nope, he's too slow, sit his butt.

NBA lottery pick

[QUOTE] Luke Walton said he discussed changing starting lineup with GM Mitch Kupchak and EVP Jim Buss. Both were supportive, he said.

He said he'll be playing Zubac more. Walton has the ok to go with the youth movement from management. I would have to imagine he'll play. I don't think it's uncommon for a 2nd round pick to not play early on in his rookie season. I would say it's more rare that he's getting a solid chance this early. Heck most 2nd rounders don't last long in the NBA and are only on rosters for cap reasons. At least we will get to see if he has a future in the league.
    So what do you think is happening with Ingram's shooting right now. I have never seen a young shooter struggle so much with his shooting. Is he lifting weights?
    I still can't believe they didn't go after a top notch shot doctor/guru like Spur's Chip Engelland last summer. If they overpay Mozgov and Deng, they can surely offer enough money to Chip come here.