Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What do you think of the NBA age minimum?

2 years of college minimum or 21 years of age.

I'd love to see that happen, and i think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'd prefer an increase so we see fewer raw/unpolished prospects coming into the league, but I don't know where the sweet spot is. 20 or 21 I guess?
    The sweet spot is 2 years in college. One year for getting used to more competition, more games, new teammates and adapting to these new cirumstances.
    Then a year where you can advantage of what you've learned in year one while still growing as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    no to either a max or min age limit.

If you're good enough to play, your good enough to play. America is a capitalistic society.
    Do you agree with the rookie scale wages then, or should they be done with?

its all arbitrary and wouldnt pass an antitrust analysis. think nbapa should not bargain using that as a tool.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I say after HS. Half of these idiots are still illiterate by the time they enter the draft or finish their collegiate school so let them do what they are destined to do. Scholarships should only be used on actual "scholar-athletes" and not some illiterate kid just going for half a semester cheating on his dance classes to met the requirements.. It's a disgrace for the programs.

The whole "raising the level of play" is kind of a weak argument considering alot of the players will leave after 1-2 years because of the NBA sanctions on age which will only provide short term solutions for the teams.

And if a HS

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    I say after HS. Half of these idiots are still illiterate by the time they enter the draft or finish their collegiate school so let them do what they are destined to do. Scholarships should only be used on actual "scholar-athletes" and not some illiterate kid just going for half a semester cheating on his dance classes to met the requirements.. It's a disgrace for the programs.

The whole "raising the level of play" is kind of a weak argument considering alot of the players will leave after 1-2 years because of the NBA sanctions on age which will only provide short term solutions for the teams.

And if a HS
    I don't understand the bolded

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    It's called the NBA D-League, and nobody takes it seriously. The problem is money. Players will real talent that aren't in the NBA can make more money in Asia or Europe than playing for peanuts in the D-League.
    Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

You don't see Wiggins and these guys playing in the D-League. The league I proposed would have all the top prospects from 18-20 playing against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

You don't see Wiggins and these guys playing in the D-League. The league I proposed would have all the top prospects from 18-20 playing against each other.

1. There aren't enough players age 18-20 to form an entire league.

2. Guys like Wiggins would have to be paid millions, or they would play in an Asian/Europe league instead. No team is going to pay Wiggins millions to play in some 'prospect' league.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

I like it.

I want to see these guys do some work in college before earning themselves a high draft pick.

NBA sixth man of the year

I'm mostly for the old age limit of 18 years old. One poster early on in the thread asked the question of how many players among the elite prospects are honestly concerned with getting a college degree. That's a good point as obviously very few, if any, of them are interested in that and are likely putting in minimal effort in the 1-4 semesters of college they're attending. And the universities now have become very adept at "helping" these athletes and ensuring they have the necessary GPA to stay eligible. Also, some of these players might be better served to go back and get an education after their playing career is over. I'm a non-traditional student myself and I've been working full-time and going to school for years now. I've found that I've taken more seriously as I've aged. I've always thought education was a horrible talking point for age limit talks. You can get a college degree whenever you want. It's just a matter of getting it for free or paying for it.

There's also a major shock to the system that comes with raising the age limit and making the D-League a bigger player in this whole thing because it's basically going to eliminate the NCAA. I can't image a world without a high-level NCAA hoops and that's what we'd have if the age limit was raised to 21, and maybe even 20, and the NBA decided to pay at least some of these kids more money to play in the D-League. With that said, I think the NBA will look to do whatever they can to avoid pumping more money into the D-League. I think they're resigned to spending a certain amount of player development outside the NBA and D-League, but they likely aren't trying to spend millions on kids out of HS that can't play in the League. I think they'd prefer to keep these kids in the NCAA at no cost and just supplement the NCAA wherever they can to make the players agreeable to playing two years of college ball.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Guys should be able to make a living. College should be for student athletes. Need a minor league system so this is a reality. They appear to be headed that way...very slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    1. There aren't enough players age 18-20 to form an entire league.

2. Guys like Wiggins would have to be paid millions, or they would play in an Asian/Europe league instead. No team is going to pay Wiggins millions to play in some 'prospect' league.
    That's the point of this league. And yes there are enough 18-20 prospects. Clearly it's idealized since it's an idea that would never take off, but the problems you suggest are easily taken care of in said league.