Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Now that we know the season will continue I need all my "Asterisk" posters on record.

For now we will ignore that an asterisk doesnt necessarily mean something is worse...just that the person listing things wants to add more information.

Lets get to what matters....

If you are one of the "*" guys....lets hear it right now. Lets not hear it after you see how it plays out. It cant depend on who wins or how. Its a ****ed up season that has no results you acknowledge or it isnt. If you are team asterisk and nothing counts....none of the following should come out of your mouth in the future:

"Lol...Harden goes ghost...AGAIN"

"Where do you rank Leonard with 3 finals MVPs?"

"2 MVPS and a ring? Giannis top 20?"

"4 modern rings 4 modern mvps....goat?"

"Harden has a ring now.....where you at haters?"

"3/10"

"Jokic 2020 title run > Hakeem in 94?"

"Durant returns to win a ring with no regular season to prepare and 2 key players out with dat Rona. GOAT ring?"

None of it. If it doesnt count it doesnt count. Its just an exhibition. A curiosity. Dont come in here saying it counts when who you want to win wins.

It either proves something or its a circus we should take nothing from.

Id like to know where you stand now so when I mock you for it we both know you pulled the flip flop.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Now that we know the season will continue I need all my "Asterisk" posters on rec

i will have to see how it plays out... if kawhi doesnt win im declaring it a *.

whoever wins it's going to be real anticlimatic with no fans though and no homecourts. id imagine the high of winning a ring is dependant on the soaring crowd too.

Default Re: Now that we know the season will continue I need all my "Asterisk" posters on rec

I don't care if the guy/team I root for wins or not, it's an asterisk season no doubt. They've been off for 3 ****ing months.

The clown above me... cognitive dissonance... lol... what a ****ing rancid asshole.

Its like a whole new season.

Facts Are Misleading

I'm 100 percent asterisk. No fans, no thank you.

No homecourt advantage either.

They'd still have to go through the playoffs, which counts for something, and it's not like any team has gained an advantage through any of this. But playing in Disney, no fans, after a FIVE month layoff aka a whole offseason, it's gonna be impossible for that shit not to stick out like a sore thumb when discussing this title.

I think if a previous champ like LeBron or Kawhi wins they can get a slightly bigger benefit of the doubt since they've already won, on multiple occasions. But if this hypothetically ends up being the only title that someone like Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Harden/Westbrook ever win, you can't tell me that the unparalleled circumstances that this occurred under won't cast a huge shadow of doubt on the validity of this title.

But regardless of who wins, this is going to be the least credited title in league history

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    I don't care if the guy/team I root for wins or not, it's an asterisk season no doubt. They've been off for 3 ****ing months.

The clown above me... cognitive dissonance... lol... what a ****ing rancid asshole.
    why are you always so angry broseph?

Cheer up.

I dont think ive EVER seen you in a good mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

"Jokic 2020 title run > Hakeem in 94?"

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    They'd still have to go through the playoffs, which counts for something, and it's not like any team has gained an advantage through any of this. But playing in Disney, no fans, after a FIVE month layoff aka a whole offseason, it's gonna be impossible for that shit not to stick out like a sore thumb when discussing this title.

I think if a previous champ like LeBron or Kawhi wins they can get a slightly bigger benefit of the doubt since they've already won, on multiple occasions. But if this hypothetically ends up being the only title that someone like Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Harden/Westbrook ever win, you can't tell me that the unparalleled circumstances that this occurred under won't cast a huge shadow of doubt on the validity of this title.

But regardless of who wins, this is going to be the least credited title in league history

I look at it another way. I don’t see rings as being in competition with other rings. This years champ can’t play the 82 Lakers. They play the 2020 NBA. A ring is about coming out on top with everyone else facing the same set of obstacles.....or at least the same potential ones.

I leave the ring ranking for our trolls for the most part. Team comparison can be fun but I don’t feel a need to rank players by supposed ring “strength” and I never see the people who do use it as anything but backup for notions they would support no matter what.

There are more and less impressive runs if you insist on boiling down the work of 12-20 people to one persons individual glory but the rings themselves are just a count of how many times you beat everyone in your way.

You can’t add or subtract anything to that. Just put whatever spin on it you need to for the narrative your want pushed. In the end none of it matters. We will all be forgotten haters from the moment while history records the official record.

Nobody gives a shit that the first few super bowls were a farce and the nfl champion faced better teams to win than when they played the afl winner in the “big game”. We act like the nfl champions didn’t count till some guy in Kansas City called the first nfl/afl post season exhibition a “super bowl”.

So Aikman has 3 Super Bowls and Bart Starr only has 2 even though the many nfl titles he won before that were much harder to get than beating a shit afl team by like 25 to win a made up title after the season.

Know what history asks? Who won the most Super Bowls.

The public doesn’t care for your context or mine. Whoever wins this is gonna get the same ring every other champ got. I’m just looking forward to the anger that generates.

If Lebron can lead this Lakers squad to a win in the coronavirus season against a stacked Clippers/Bucks teams? That's some GOAT shit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I look at it another way. I don’t see rings as being in competition with other rings. This years champ can’t play the 82 Lakers. They play the 2020 NBA. A ring is about coming out on top with everyone else facing the same set of obstacles.....or at least the same potential ones.

I leave the ring ranking for our trolls for the most part. Team comparison can be fun but I don’t feel a need to rank players by supposed ring “strength” and I never see the people who do use it as anything but backup for notions they would support no matter what.

There are more and less impressive runs if you insist on boiling down the work of 12-20 people to one persons individual glory but the rings themselves are just a count of how many times you beat everyone in your way.

You can’t add or subtract anything to that. Just put whatever spin on it you need to for the narrative your want pushed. In the end none of it matters. We will all be forgotten haters from the moment while history records the official record.

Nobody gives a shit that the first few super bowls were a farce and the nfl champion faced better teams to win than when they played the afl winner in the “big game”. We act like the nfl champions didn’t count till some guy in Kansas City called the first nfl/afl post season exhibition a “super bowl”.

So Aikman has 3 Super Bowls and Bart Starr only has 2 even though the many nfl titles he won before that were much harder to get than beating a shit afl team by like 25 to win a made up title after the season.

Know what history asks? Who won the most Super Bowls.

The public doesn’t care for your context or mine. Whoever wins this is gonna get the same ring every other champ got. I’m just looking forward to the anger that generates.
    What you're saying has merit but at the same time it's bullshit because you're completely discounting the ability to remain healthy enough to win it all... not to mention, even if a team stays perfectly healthy throughout an entire season, they WILL be a different team on game 82 than they were at game 1. That's just the nature of life... especially when you throw in team dynamics. Momentum and cohesion is built through a season. Some teams are able to run it from beginning to end as the best team but that's not always the case.

Other teams are very slow out of the gate and end incredibly strong.

We've hit the reset button and these teams will not be the same teams they were 3 months ago. This season is clearly an asterisk regardless of who wins.

Let me put this an entirely different way... would you be ok with the NBA only playing for a month or two and then crowning a champion? Imagine the season debuting at the end of October and being wrapped up by Christmas Day. That's an asterisk. No if's and's or but's. I don't want to hear it from anyone regardless if the team you root for wins or loses. Asterisk. Period.

Serious playground baller

* asterisk year just like i have 2012 as an *Asterisk as well

Would I be ok with it or would I say the team that won....won?

Those are different things.

If you win the title you win it. How hard I feel it was doesn’t matter. You compete against other teams....not teams in other circumstances.

Youre the champion of the situation you and everyone else played during. Like everyone always is.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Big time *

2012 levels

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Big time *

2012 levels
    Your team has no shot - you're just mad that the Lebron fam is winning while you are irrelevant