Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it "fair" if Cleveland wins the lottery again?

That would be four #1 overall picks in less than 10 years.

Not to mention LeBron's pick.

Technically they did nothing wrong...but it seems off.

Imagine another situation where a team that has a superstar and competes for 10 years, star leaves/retires and they predictably stink the next couple of years and win the lottery and get the #1 pick, turns out to be another generational star. Basically Cleveland's situation with LeBron leaving again.

Almost like when the Spurs lucked into Robinson/Duncan.

Or even Orlando with the 1992 and 1993 drafts.

I've mentioned lottery reform should be that teams are limited in the number of top 3 and top 5 picks they can get in a 5 year span, well add to that they should be limited in #1 overall picks too(maybe 2 in any given 10 year span).
    Last edited by eliteballer; 03-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Default Re: Is it "fair" if Cleveland wins the lottery again?

Yes.

Everyone here in CLE wants a real ring, not a ring obtained by beating a hobbled team that was on it's last legs.

New York DESERVES the #1 pick. Screw Cleveland and Phoenix and especially Atlanta. 3 awful, shithole cities.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

It'll be Cleveland or New York.

New York really needs something to root for... that franchise has been in the shitter since the 90s.

If you want to fix the lottery, you just make it so that every team in the lottery has an equal chance of winning... like they used to.

If a franchise can't put together a good team through scouting and free agency for years because they're not getting high draft picks, I would argue that they're going to be a shit franchise anyways.

Just make all lottery teams have an equal shot. It's the best way and it deincentivizes the vast majority of tanking.

If anyone deserves the first pick, it's teams that are building right and trying to compete and not just ran by incompetent fools like the Knicks/Suns/Wizards/Bulls/etc.

Rather have Memphis, Atlanta, Washington, Dallas end up with the top slot.

But, wouldn't doubt if somehow the Lakers win the lotto

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

incompetent fools like the Knicks/Suns/Wizards/Bulls/etc.
    Rather have Memphis, Atlanta, Washington, Dallas end up with the top slot.

Are you dumb? That's exactly what the point of a lottery is. Also, one of the four #1 picks was not even our own, it was the Clippers'. With that pick, we selected Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    New York DESERVES the #1 pick. Screw Cleveland and Phoenix and especially Atlanta. 3 awful, shithole cities.
    No they don't deserve it. Horribly ran franchise that boos their draft picks.

The point of the lottery is to help weaker teams improve at the expense of stronger teams so it's inherently unfair.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Are you dumb? That's exactly what the point of a lottery is. Also, one of the four #1 picks was not even our own, it was the Clippers'. With that pick, we selected Kyrie.

Yea I think that was from the Baron Davis deal.

Clippers could have had Kyrie or Klay at the 2 with the lob city roster or maybe Leonard at the 3. Klay or Kyrie the better fit of course but they wouldnt take them #1. Paul/Leonard/Blake would have been a hell of a big 3 if he developed quickly but he took a few years.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Cleveland tried to make the playoffs when they got the Wiggins pick. They weren't actively tanking that year. They just got super lucky.

As stated before they didn't win the lottery with Kyrie. That was the clippers pick that they traded with 0 protections on it. That pick had a low chance of hitting too.

As a cavs fan this draft looks pretty strong and I'd be totally happy with any of the top 3-4 guys.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    It'll be Cleveland or New York.

New York really needs something to root for... that franchise has been in the shitter since the 90s.

If you want to fix the lottery, you just make it so that every team in the lottery has an equal chance of winning... like they used to.

If a franchise can't put together a good team through scouting and free agency for years because they're not getting high draft picks, I would argue that they're going to be a shit franchise anyways.

Just make all lottery teams have an equal shot. It's the best way and it deincentivizes the vast majority of tanking.

So if a city has a terrible owner like the Dolans then that fanbase doesn't deserve a lottery pick. That's kinda f*cked up. It's not the fans fault that their owner sucks.

Everybody is so focused to "fixing" the tanking problem by making it harder for bad teams to get better. The solution is to make it easier for small market teams to hang on to their star players and to implement a hard cap to prevent all the top tier talent from migrating to 4 teams in the league. If you gave more teams an honest shot at competing for a title, you would see less tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    The point is to equitably spread the incoming talent...one team getting that many #1 picks in so short a span isn't equitable.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Fairness doesn't matter in the NBA. Look at the ****ing Warriors.

There is no "fair". Every sport is slightly tainted by their respective league officials. I'm a NY fan and I don't believe the team "deserves" the first pick in the draft, although it would be great. I can't hate on a team like Cleveland if they indeed land the top spot. I never forget that it's just entertainment even though I get hot when some imbecile trolls my team unjustly.

.... like: "Dolan's still running the team" uh, where have you been the last 2 seasons.

or: "A team that boos it's draft pick doesn't deserve blah blah". How'd that Latvian make out in the long run?

I won't grouse if we don't get the top spot. I've trusted Scott Perry up to this point; I'm sure they will do whatever is best for the organization.