Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Here's what I don't get about attempts to diminish Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by KBaller33
    It's so weird. Why would he never consider changing his list? It's like 40 years outdated Unless he meant his favorite players of all time.

I think for him he treated it the way many do their favorite music. The music people fall in love with from 15-20 is often the music they think was the best when they're 50.

For him that was when he loved the game most, he probably associates that period with his coming of age as a man and a player. Like I said previously, it was a list based on nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by KBaller33
    It's so weird. Why would he never consider changing his list? It's like 40 years outdated Unless he meant his favorite players of all time.
    People do it all the time. Im sure everyone in here when listing the best videogames, movies, or tv shows, will have something in there based on nostalgia and coming first more than actual merit.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    People who say Jordan is not the GOAT, is the same thing as people who still say the earth is flat.
    Exactly. There's nobody who has combined on-court dominance with championship results the way he has.

Yes, Bill Russell won 11, but an offensively dominant player beats a defensively dominant one every time.

Wilt didn't win enough.

Kareem is a center and didn't impact the game in as many ways.

Magic and Bird were surpassed by MJ over time.

Shaq was too lazy.

Timmy has gotten the most of what he is, and that's taken him to a top 10 career, but he still is what he is and isn't what he isn't.

Kobe was too selfish.

LeBron has too many holes in his resume.

Shall I continue?

MJ is, as his statue says, 'the best there ever was and the best there ever will be.'

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    His statistics are clearly better than most players ever, and his playoff stats are equally ridiculous. It's kind of silly to me when people act like Jordan being amazing is some media driven narrative. Now I didn't watch him play, so I can't make the arguments many here can, but if you research his career, I don't see how you can't see a guy with probably the best case for GOAT or at least top 3-5.
    You mean his statistics born out of the context of high pace offenses in an era of leaguewide defensive inefficiency.

The fact that stating this simple truth will ruffle the feathers of Jordan mythologists just goes to show you the power of his media driven narrative that thrived unchecked for so long.
    Last edited by Yao Ming's Foot; 07-27-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The notion that MJ>>>>>anyone else is part of why there is a backlash against him...that and other mythology surrounding him, i.e. he won by himself and the non-stop media hype--even all these years later.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-27-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    You mean his statistics born out of the context of high pace offenses in an era of leaguewide defensive inefficiency.

The fact that stating this simple truth will ruffle the feathers of Jordan mythologists just goes to show you the power of his media driven narrative that thrived unchecked for so long.
    .... are you sure their feathers weren't 'ruffled' because your point is terrible?

Yeah, the league has evolved and changed. But to nitpick to argue against rankings? If I wanted to I could spin any 'simply truth' against any era too!

Just like you're doing.

Here, watch:

>Shooters pre-79 did not have the opportunity of a 3 point line-- today's league scoring records are inflated and downplay the scoring capabilities of pre-79 players.

>Today's league favours quicker guards with the removal of hand-check and enables easier scoring due to 3 second defensive rule (which is ****ing retarded to me btw). Ergo you need to adjust (lower) Lebron's/Wade's/Rose/Westbrook's FG% to reflect the change.

Dude... the nitpicking.
    Last edited by played0ut; 07-27-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by played0ut
    >Today's league favours quicker guards with the removal of hand-check and enables easier scoring due to 3 second defensive rule (which is ****ing retarded to me btw). Ergo you need to adjust Lebron's/Wade's/Rose/Westbrook's FG% to reflect the change.

Lebron, Wade, Rose, and Westbrook have completely different FG%.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Lebron, Wade, Rose, and Westbrook have completely different FG%.
    Lol i'm picking slashers to make a point about open lanes. Their actual FG%, whatever it is isn't the issue here.

MJ is not only the GOAT basketball player but maybe the greatest sport athlete in history.

Lol i'm picking slashers to make a point about open lanes. Their actual FG%, whatever it is isn't the issue here.
    LeBron is a far better shooter than the other three

.... are you sure their feathers weren't 'ruffled' because your point is terrible?

Yeah, the league has evolved and changed. But to nitpick to argue against rankings? If I wanted to I could spin any 'simply truth' against any era too!

Just like you're doing.

Here, watch:

>Shooters pre-79 did not have the opportunity of a 3 point line-- today's league scoring records are inflated and downplay the scoring capabilities of pre-79 players.

>Today's league favours quicker guards with the removal of hand-check and enables easier scoring due to 3 second defensive rule (which is ****ing retarded to me btw). Ergo you need to adjust (lower) Lebron's/Wade's/Rose/Westbrook's FG% to reflect the change.

Dude... the nitpicking.

Naruto forums?

Yeah, but you didnt really make a point. Lebron and Wade have higher or similar FG from slashing to Jordan and Rose and Westbrook have lower percentages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Yeah, but you didnt really make a point. Lebron and Wade have higher or similar FG from slashing than Jordan and Rose and Westbrook have lower percentages.
    I did. You just missed it.

He's saying Jordan's stats are only high because of his era's high pace/defense

i.e, his PPG adjusted would be -2PPG

If i go by his reasoning,

I'm saying Rose/Westbrook/Wade/Lebron's FG% are only high, due to open lanes/no hand check enabling easier slashing

i.e, each of their FG% would be .02% - .08% lower, depending on how often they slash

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Naruto forums?

and?

Are you going somewhere with this or are you just wasting bandwidth

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    MJ is, as his statue says, 'the best there ever was and the best there ever will be.'
    you know how I know you're a dinosaur?