Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Which young player would you rather have - Justise Winslow or Devin Booker?

Justice Winslow is his prime is basically a rich mans Robeson from the Thunder

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Which young player would you rather have - Justise Winslow or Devin Booker?

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    He is a vastly better shooter than Allen at the same age.

He shot the same %, but has made 32 in one season, to Allen's 106 in 11 seasons.

His form is more correctable than Allen's clunky brick hack heave hoe garbage.
    they are both very poor shooters.. and i highly doubt he ever becomes a good one. Guys that have relied on freak athleticism and strength their whole lives dont just become good to great shooters.. their muscle memory is for the most part already set, its not that pliable.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    they are both very poor shooters.. and i highly doubt he ever becomes a good one. Guys that have relied on freak athleticism and strength their whole lives dont just become good to great shooters.. their muscle memory is for the most part already set, its not that pliable.
    He doesn't even need to be a good shooter, just respectable.
    He has changed his form in the off-season so it is smoother, with a different stance, grip and shoulder position.
    Keep in mind he shot 42% in 3 attempts per game at Duke, he just didn't adapt to the longer NBA distance well in his rookie season.
    There are below average NBA shooters like JW, and woeful shooters like Allen.
    I foresee a three a game at 30% for JW this season, and it slowly improving further over time. Much better than the likes of Allen. Comparing someone that made 32 threes as a 19 year old to someone who has made 100 in 11 seasons is not a good comparison.

Miami also has some of the best shooting coaches in the league

They get the best out of everyone

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Miami also has some of the best shooting coaches in the league

They get the best out of everyone
    you wouldnt be able to tell watchin them in the playoffs.

This handsome mofo

Devin Booker.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I'd take Booker right now pretty easily. Just because he has a much higher ceiling. I think Winslow had one of the safest floors you can find in the draft. He has a chance to wind up an amazing high end role player/solid 3rd option type but at the very worst he's a capable player who can play a decent role on a winning team. His height seems fudged too. They added an extra 2 inches in shoes and he measured on 6'4.5 without them. He's fine defensively but he's not tall enough to just use his big body/athletic ability to bully people offensively especially given he'll see time at the 4.

He just is very limited offensively. Not a great shooter, not a great passer, not a great 1 vs 1 player, not great in the post, doesn't have a great handle. He's athletic, can finish plays, play in transition, and finish around the basket. Someone like Jaylen Brown is raw offensively but shows potential in certain areas. Best case for Winslow to me anyways is he becomes average in those areas and that along with his elite defense, rebounding, positional versatility will make him an elite role player. Booker has the passing, shooting, offensive talent to be a focal point offensively and while his defense is brutal I'm more confident that improves to atleast slightly below average than Winslow developing into an All-Star offensively.

I loved Winslow in the draft because how safe he was a prospect but even offensively in college with him playing alot of PF at Duke kinda helped hide his offensive flaws a little bit. Miami used him as a SF/SG/PF this year and didn't they also play him at C for a little bit in the playoffs? His defense makes him crazy versatile but offensively he's never going to be that guy. I'd rather an offensive superstar or star with average D than an elite defensive role player with average offense unless I already had those "star" pieces.

Ceiling = Booker
    Floor = Winslow

Unless your Cleveland/GS/Clippers etc. not sure why you'd take the guy with the lower ceiling after there rookie season. Maybe 2 years from now if Booker hasn't took off you take Winslow.

you wouldnt be able to tell watchin them in the playoffs.
    4th in FG% and 7th in 3PT% in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Best case for Winslow to me anyways is he becomes average in those areas and that along with his elite defense, rebounding, positional versatility will make him an elite role player.
    Elite 'role players' are stars amongst their organisations, just maybe not on the allstar ballot.
    This guy is gonna be a 6'6 Tony Allen, but with better offence (already is better). That's just an ELITE player.

Booker has shown he can average 17 a game on an abhorrent team (when they played him 30+ mins). I've seen a lot of guys do that. Potential is there for more obviously. However he may not even start this season with both guards back. With NO defence.

And physically, Booker is like a 6'6 Lebron. He is a 230 pound bull with 5% body fat. Which impacts games alone, as he knows how to use it. Booker has alot of physical development to come.

I still prefer Winslow for his known contributions on a relatively successful team and in meaningful games.

And when you look at advanved stats like VORP, BPM, WS, WS/48... Winslow comfortably was better last season already.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Elite 'role players' are stars amongst their organisations, just maybe not on the allstar ballot.
    This guy is gonna be a 6'6 Tony Allen, but with better offence (already is better). That's just an ELITE player.

Booker has shown he can average 17 a game on an abhorrent team (when they played him 30+ mins). I've seen a lot of guys do that. Potential is there for more obviously. However he may not even start this season with both guards back. With NO defence.

And physically, Booker is like a 6'6 Lebron. He is a 230 pound bull with 5% body fat. Which impacts games alone, as he knows how to use it. Booker has alot of physical development to come.

I still prefer Winslow for his known contributions on a relatively successful team and in meaningful games.

And when you look at advanved stats like VORP, BPM, WS, WS/48... Winslow comfortably was better last season already.
    Yeah among there teams, not the league. Lately for most fans it's just about 3-4 teams in the league and championships. Everybody else needs a franchise player. A guy who they can build around to make playoff runs. That's far more valuable than an elite role player. The elite role player is more valuable to the teams that already have those guys. Booker has potential to be that guy which is why more people are higher on him. Winslow is without a doubt that safer choice tho. Personally on the Nuggets I'd take Winslow. A few years ago would have preferred Booker. Booker to me has potential to be the better individual player.

Winslow deff isn't LeBron. He's more Jimmy Butler with less height. Winslow got an extra 2 inches in shoes for some reason. Butler is 1.5 inches taller with similar strength, body, and a more natural offensive feel for the game.

Bookers numbers take a hit during the first 2 months of the season. To me the most underrated area of his game was his playmaking. He showed some serious potential there and combined with his shooting/scoring that screams potential star to me. Guys who can do both offensively tend to have bright futures regardless of there defense which is easier to improve than it is to hit an entirely different level offensively. Booker isn't just Kevin Martin or something or atleast his game doesn't project to be that.

I agree with the averaging good numbers on bad teams. Anything under 25 wins is scary territory. PHX was there last year. Booker was a rookie tho, and the talent in PHX simply wasn't there. If they were in there 3rd year than yeah I'd be with you but too early for that argument especially given Winslow was simply on a much better team. Elite defense and intangibles look much worse when surrounded with no talent if your not a big man. Winslow wouldn't have carried PHX defensively. I just don't think you take 1 rookie over another because he helped contribute on a good team when there situations were entirely different. Similar situations sure. I mean Carmelo made the playoffs as a rookie and LeBron missed out.

Yeah, I would say this is true for the most part.

I have very high hopes for Booker. A little bit of young BRoy in his game. Kid is someone I want to watch all the time. He has a fearlessness that oozes out of his game

Winslow's problem is the game is trending away from his type. RonRon type, muscles bursting, defense first are going towards the way of the stretch 4. Dude does a lot, but the lack of shooting is not just a glaring hole, it is a sinkhole that will only get bigger if he doesn't remedy it.