Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 LastLast

Default Re: Official UCLA Bruins Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Shaka, Stevens, Donovan is apparently the short list. I think Stevens and Donovan have nothing more than "I'll listen" interest. And honestly I can see Stevens being a disaster at a big time program with his style, it's not conducive to landing top tier recruits whatsoever.

He's an an alum and he's The Mayor for a reason, but I think they should chase Fred Hoiberg.
    I doubt Hoiberg would leave Iowa State unless it's for the league. Apparently he's drawing a lot of interest from the NBA. Not sure how his style would translate, but nevertheless, it's going to take a major long term deal for him to leave his alma mater

wtf happened with Shabazz Muhammad? Kid looks like he doesn't even give a shit out there. Maybe he's hurt and doesn't want anyone to know before the draft? Seems like dude never played D

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    wtf happened with Shabazz Muhammad? Kid looks like he doesn't even give a shit out there. Maybe he's hurt and doesn't want anyone to know before the draft? Seems like dude never played D
    Speculation... I don't think he even wanted to play at UCLA. It was strictly a business (Adidas) move. Back when UNC was recruiting him, I heard he absolutely did not want to play with Larry Drew. Which is funny how they ended up playing with each other anyway.

He still had a good season. Kyle Anderson was the disappointing one.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory

He still had a good season.
    True but watching him play though, I feel like he could have scored way more than he did and still, its undeniable that he didn't really play consistent defense.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Speculation... I don't think he even wanted to play at UCLA. It was strictly a business (Adidas) move. Back when UNC was recruiting him, I heard he absolutely did not want to play with Larry Drew. Which is funny how they ended up playing with each other anyway.

He still had a good season. Kyle Anderson was the disappointing one.
    tbh, i think it was more than that. UCLA is the one place players can go and not give a shit about the team because of Howland. Howland was already on thin ice as well. The Adidas thing could have been involved but let's face it, he was gonna play for a coach who wouldn't say a damn thing if he took every shot.

Was never really impressed with Kyle Anderson. Dude couldnt jump over a phonebook of a small town if his life depended on it, and has one of the lowest motors i've seen in a five star recruit EVER.

And no one wants to play with Larry Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    I doubt Hoiberg would leave Iowa State unless it's for the league. Apparently he's drawing a lot of interest from the NBA. Not sure how his style would translate, but nevertheless, it's going to take a major long term deal for him to leave his alma mater
    Why not take a chance on ex NBA coaches like Jeff or Stan Van Gundy? These guys are very smart enough to adjust, less games, less head aches in dealing with superstar spoiled brats. These guys are geniuses, creating great schemes, would attract recruits etc.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Why not take a chance on ex NBA coaches like Jeff or Stan Van Gundy? These guys are very smart enough to adjust, less games, less head aches in dealing with superstar spoiled brats. These guys are geniuses, creating great schemes, would attract recruits etc.
    Because UCLA doesn't need to take that kind of risk. They aren't Minnesota thinking about hiring Flip Saunders.

I don't think anyone'll question that both the Van Gundy's are great coaches, but coaching's only half the battle in college. Neither have ever recruited a day in their lives, and I can't see either of them being able to do all the bullshit gladhanding with boosters stuff college coaches have to do.

Could it work in a big way? Sure, but it's a big risk that UCLA doesn't need to take when they SHOULD be able to lure any number of currently highly successful NCAA guys. ...of course, Shaka's apparently not interested and is negotiating a new VCU deal...

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Because UCLA doesn't need to take that kind of risk. They aren't Minnesota thinking about hiring Flip Saunders.

I don't think anyone'll question that both the Van Gundy's are great coaches, but coaching's only half the battle in college. Neither have ever recruited a day in their lives, and I can't see either of them being able to do all the bullshit gladhanding with boosters stuff college coaches have to do.

Could it work in a big way? Sure, but it's a big risk that UCLA doesn't need to take when they SHOULD be able to lure any number of currently highly successful NCAA guys. ...of course, Shaka's apparently not interested and is negotiating a new VCU deal...

Both Jeff and Stan have been college coaches. Jeff was an assistant coach to a bunch of schools (I only remember Rutgers), and I think Stan was the head coach of Wisconsin at one point. They know all about recruiting and what it's like. I have no doubt that they could become college coaches if they wanted to. I just don't see it when Jeff has one of the sweetest gigs in basketball.

Smart staying at VCU. Stevens turns down Bruins to stay at Butler. Donovan's not coming.

It's just not seen as that good a job.

Alford's an asshole. I went to his camp and he treated 12 and 13 year olds like dirt.

Alford's an asshole. I went to his camp and he treated 12 and 13 year olds like dirt.
    this is def not what I wanted to hear

any other info? don't know much about him other than him being a bob knight disciple... and I guess his underwhelming tourney record.

edit: did more research. terrible hire. time to shut down the program.
    Last edited by beer; 03-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beer
    this is def not what I wanted to hear

any other info? don't know much about him other than him being a bob knight disciple... and I guess his underwhelming tourney record.

edit: did more research. terrible hire. time to shut down the program.
    google "steve alford pierre pierce"

If your own school that you led to a national championship doesn't consider you, then you probably aren't that good of a coach.

Interested to see how well he recruits. If he can keep the talent from So Cal at home, leverage the UCLA name for a couple others across the country, and not isolate the team from alumni and university then it could work out. Basically recruit really well and become a team manager. Not sure of his recruiting ability...

BRO's article on the hire is well done:
    http://ucla.scout.com/2/1279301.html

Here's an article on all of the shitty things Alford has done, and outlines why he is pretty much an awful human being.

link

He also just agreed to a 10 year extension with New Mexico a few days ago. lol.