Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball stat geeks

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Kobe working his voodoo to get NBA coaches to vote for him. Too bad the advanced stat brigade wasn't around to statistically validate Jordan's all defensive team selections every year.
    I don't need anybody to validate. I watched both live. Kobe has been bad on defense the majority of the time for years

Default Re: on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball stat geeks

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    Kobe has been bad on defense the majority of the time for years

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Yeap and for those 13 mins he terrorised the Lakers backcourt badly at the age of like 37
    Seems unlikely given the fact he had a +2 on/off court rating in a series in which his team outscored the Lakers by 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    In the last 3 - 4 years Kobe has been one of the laziest perimeter defenders in the entire league. Deal with it.

Anybody who actually knows what they're watching and isn't just a hopeless dick rider knows this

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Seems unlikely given the fact he had a +2 on/off court rating in a series in which his team outscored the Lakers by 45.
    Well i guess you didn't watch the NBA 2004 Finals

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

First Team All Defensive players put it all out there 100% of the time. The Hakeem Olajuwons, David Robinson, Scottie Pippens. Kobe Bryant was always inconsistent and lazy unless it was a "big marquee game".

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    First Team All Defensive players put it all out there 100% of the time. The Hakeem Olajuwons, David Robinson, Scottie Pippens. Kobe Bryant was always inconsistent and lazy unless it was a "big marquee game".

Banned

Kobe doesn't play lockdown D for the most part, but he is capable of it which is not something everyone can say

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Well i guess you didn't watch the NBA 2004 Finals
    I'll make sure to rewatch it again to see if 13 min a game player who at best held his opposition to as terrible of shooting percentages as he himself put up was the main reason for the teams victory.

Kobe is a lazy on ball defender these days. Has been for years now.

Otherwise, I agree. That facet of defense is "unappreciated".

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Kobe didn't win any of his awards over Hakeem, David Robinson or Scottie Pippen.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

I'll make sure to rewatch it again to see if 13 min a game player who at best held his opposition to as terrible of shooting percentages as he himself put up was the main reason for the teams victory.
    lol where did I say any of that I said that the limited mins Linsdey played on Kobe thats the best I have seen anyone ever defend him in any period of time. That the the only time I have seen Kobe look lost and actually trying to get rid of the ball cause he couldn't do anything with it. Prince, Rip, Ben Sheed, Billups were the reason they won.

My point was the best single act of perimeter defense I have seen was Hunter on Bryant during the Finals not that Hunter was the best or that he won them the title.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

It's funny to note that the biggest weakness of the Lakers is their perimeter defense. Sure, Kobe can play great perimeter defense. But honestly, and this is coming from someone who watches every Laker game, Kobe does not always put in as much effort into his perimeter defense as shown in the video, especially when there are incoming screens.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    It's funny to note that the biggest weakness of the Lakers is their perimeter defense. Sure, Kobe can play great perimeter defense. But honestly, and this is coming from someone who watches every Laker game, Kobe does not always put in as much effort into his perimeter defense as shown in the video, especially when there are incoming screens.
    This.

I watch about 40-50 games though

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu28UwDzps

one of the greatest to ever do it. constantly disrespected. constantly overlooked. constantly underrated.

there is rarely a stat for it. it is measured by watching games. there isn't always a steal. there isn't always a block. but theres always great foot work.

the most unappreciated kind of defender. it requires more talent than a big man due to handchecking rules being 100 times more constant on the perimeter

just watch the video and understand why he has 9 first team all defensive awards. the most in nba history
    Bleh, just as you can't gain much from using stats on defense, you can't gain much by watching a highlight video.