NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Assisted threes vs. pull-ups... and why roberson should be benched

i think assisted threes are more sustainable in the face of defensive adjustments, so they are more optimal than pull-ups.

this is one of the many reasons the Spurs run such an "optimal" offense - their primary ballhandler is not one of their 3-point shooters (primary ballhandlers tend to take a lot of pull-up threes)... this contrasts with many other teams like golden state, houston and cleveland, whose primary ballhandlers also serve as one of the team's best 3-point shooters - i feel like this gives those offenses capacity to fall off a bit in the playoffs.

i'm not saying the spurs are going to beat any of those teams this year - i'm just saying this is one small reason why the spurs win with worse talent.

and if you look at the spurs roster, they have 3 to 4 good three-point shooters in all their lineups, which is more than other teams.. they've also actively sought guys that are just great all-round shooters period - guys that are automatic if left open for a 15-footer - they have more guys like this than other teams... they clearly understand that in today's spacing environment, great shooting wins more than anything else.

this is part of the reason i think OKC must bench roberson... not only do the thunder only have one 3-point shooter in their starting lineup (Durant), but he's their only good shooter PERIOD in their starting lineup - other teams like houston and golden state have way more shooters in their lineups - like, you don't see Kerr starting Iggy, because he knows he needs shooting.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-27-2014 at 06:39 AM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Assisted threes vs. pull-ups... and why roberson should be benched

They could bench roberson for morrow. BUT, then i could write this same article talking about defense is needed. You dont want durant guarding the other teams best perimeter player all game.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

if by assisted you mean stationary 3 then yeah
    but in NBA you can dribble, pull up a 3 and it might of been an assist

NBA All-star

if the Spurs had the talent to not rely on assisted threes.

Pop would not hesitate one bit to change his philosophy at all

Learning to shoot layups

Ibaka shooting 39% from 3 on 3 3PT attempts.

Kevin Durant shot 39% on 6 3s last year.

Roberson does too much defensively to bring in Morrow or Lamb. Statically Roberson is the best defender in the NBA.

He has the highest +/- on the team. Him and Russ on the perimeter are insane.

OKC is a top defense in the league and they where with neither Westbrook or Durant playing. Robertson was their best defensive player.

The defense he provides is worth it.

And if we are being honest, Westbrook and Durant will resort to pull up threes nomatter who is in the lineup.

NBA All-star

Statistically, does the player who shoots the pull up threes also have the best chance at those long rebounds. ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    i think assisted threes are more sustainable in the face of defensive adjustments, so they are more optimal than pull-ups.

this is one of the many reasons the Spurs run such an "optimal" offense - their primary ballhandler is not one of their 3-point shooters (primary ballhandlers tend to take a lot of pull-up threes)... this contrasts with many other teams like golden state, houston and cleveland, whose primary ballhandlers also serve as one of the team's best 3-point shooters - i feel like this gives those offenses capacity to fall off a bit in the playoffs.

The Mavs had the best offense in history before the Rondo trade from a statistical standpoint. The main lineup was Ellis handling the Ball, good picks from Tyson and 3 very good 3 point shooters. Now you have Rondo+Ellis and the offense looks much worse.

Detroit is a good example for very good players that don't fit together because of horrible spacing.

Works for OKC because Durant and WB are 25 PPG kind of guys. No one else has that (maybe the Cavs) so they need more Roberson defense than shooting from other guys.
    But I do think that Roberson should improve his 3pt shooting so at least defenses respect him.