Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: If Bill Russell made one more lay-up per quarter

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    every1 good was on his team
    MJ s team was a contender without him.
    They won 55 games, would have won more if Pippen and Grant didnt have injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    guy 2-peats in the NCAA as teams best scorer, and wins a gold as U.S. teams best scorer, then goes on to play a different role in the NBA cause the Celtics needed something different and 8-peats wins 5 MVP's, 2-peats as a player-coach, and all in all wins 11 championships out of 13 seasons. Even had a finals series where he set a still standing record for field goal accuracy. Guy did whatever it took to win but ISH thinks he should have put up more scoring $tat$ (at the cost of titles) in order to be considered a valid GOAT candidate

He has a great argument for being goat. He is a valid GOAT candidate.

this thread is so dumb

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    So reading, then, is your strong suit?
    it;s harder if u have a sht team (wilt)

Banned

You a math major?
    What are you even trying to say? Are you suggesting his efficiency wouldn't plummet or is he going to average more points on the same or better efficiency? This thread is pointless. Russell won all the rings playing the way he did. Are you upset his scoring doesn't pop out or something? What casuals? Casuals couldn't care less about Russell.

Explain to me why that makes it easier to win titles as oppose to harder (which it obviously does) and I'll give you a cookie.
    less competition. there were 8 fukkin teams bruh.

just out of curiosity I looked up the w/l records in the 1960 season (normally I don't care about stats from such a weak era)

BUT IN BILL RUSSELL'S 1960 CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON 3 FUKKIN TEAMS HAD A POSITIVE RECORD. 3 OF THE FUKKIN 8 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU SAY THIS GUY IS A GOAT ONE MORE TIME I WILL HOOK YOU IN THE GABBER MATE.

This guy had to compete with 3 teams for a championship. There was absolutely no competition at all. Where is my damn cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha

just out of curiosity I looked up the w/l records in the 1960 season (normally I don't care about stats from such a weak era)

BUT IN BILL RUSSELL'S 1960 CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON 3 FUKKIN TEAMS HAD A POSITIVE RECORD. 3 OF THE FUKKIN 8 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU SAY THIS GUY IS A GOAT ONE MORE TIME I WILL HOOK YOU IN THE GABBER MATE.
    Teach us about the other 10.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha

This guy had to compete with 3 teams for a championship. There was absolutely no competition at all. Where is my damn cookie.
    You understand that teams don't have to beat every other team in the league to win the title right? For example for much of the eighties the Lakers never faced a team with a winning percentage above .600 until the Finals.

So in 1960, the Celtics played the best two teams (besides themselves) in the league in their two playoff series. The Hawks with a .613 winning percentage and the Warriors with a .683

Whereas the Lakers in the amazing 1987 season played three teams with the following winning percentages: .451, .512, .476 before facing the Celtics in the Finals.

Whose road was tougher?

Also there were four teams, which equals half the league.

Most seasons it's right about half the teams that have a winning record on account of each game producing exactly one win and one loss.

Finally why would you think anyone's opinion of how strong or weak an era is matters?

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    What are you even trying to say? Are you suggesting his efficiency wouldn't plummet or is he going to average more points on the same or better efficiency? This thread is pointless. Russell won all the rings playing the way he did. Are you upset his scoring doesn't pop out or something? What casuals? Casuals couldn't care less about Russell.
    The premise was laid out in the very short first post.

Two more shots a quarter, makes 44% (his career shooting percentage) of them...

The point is to demonstrate how meaningless the stat of PPG is when judging the greatest players. If literally making one shot per quarter more by taking two more selfish shots could totally change the way the guy is perceived, it is the metric or the way it is being applied that is flawed. I doubt though saying it that way would illicit any type of response.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    guy 2-peats in the NCAA as teams best scorer, and wins a gold as U.S. teams best scorer, then goes on to play a different role in the NBA cause the Celtics needed something different and 8-peats wins 5 MVP's, 2-peats as a player-coach, and all in all wins 11 championships out of 13 seasons. Even had a finals series where he set a still standing record for field goal accuracy. Guy did whatever it took to win but ISH thinks he should have put up more scoring $tat$ (at the cost of titles) in order to be considered a valid GOAT candidate

The argument about W-L being the measure of league strength is odd. Look at the 80's. Teams with 46 wins could get HCA in the first round and 51 wins could get you the #2 seed. 30-52 was enough to make the playoffs. Does that then mean the 80's were weak? In the 70's the best record in the league was 53-29 in one season.

If you accept the theory that having a lot of teams with a good record indicates a stronger league then we must be in the GOAT era since the West perennially is producing 8-9 50+ win teams with several more in the high 40's (the East chips in 3-4 such teams as a bonus). I remember the year when Phoenix won 55 games--and was the #6 seed!

i'm not reading all this bullshit but bill russel played in a weak ass era. if he had less rings no one would care about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    i'm not reading all this bullshit but bill russel played in a weak ass era. if he had less rings no one would care about this guy.
    Well he did win 5 MVP's, and had DPOY been around he'd have around 11 of those

if he really was holding back, and had some untapped potential as a scorer, why is he only shooting 44%?

if you're a big who doesnt shoot 3s, and you only shoot 44% from the field, you are probably overstretched as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    How typing this doesn't embarrass you astounds me.

You're basically saying I'm too dumb to try and think about anything beyond my first impulse so here's something else that makes me sounds dumb.

You know what most people do when one of the millions of online discussion topics doesn't interest them. They ignore it.

How typing this doesn't embarrass you astounds me.

You're basically saying I'm too dumb to try and think about anything beyond my first impulse so here's something else that makes me sounds dumb.

You know what most people do when one of the millions of online discussion topics doesn't interest them. They ignore it.
    I like the cut of this guy's jib.