Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Re: No perimeter player in NBA history has footwork comparable to Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by G-Funk
    I have to agree. Hes unpredictable, never know what move he will do. Jordan was a lot more predictable but was unstopable.

I dont understand why his haters are afraid to accept it. It doesnt rank him any higher in the All-time list.

Tell that to the guys who had to guard him every night.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcEUPr4qdM

2 moves, from 6:10 to 6:20.....Jordan
    That fade away right there is one of the biggest difference that I see in Jordan and Kobe. Kobe’s whole game is based on copying moves which is not a criticism, but Jordan was more natural. It’s hard to explain, but as a copier you tend to commit, pre plan what you’re going to do, set up, etc and commit. There Jordan completely broke his defender with the first fake, and rather than committing, he saw that another defender was rushing and he still could have taken a good shot, but he went back the other way. It’s a little hard to explain the difference that I’m talking about. It’s a subtle thing that makes a big difference. Jordan just had much better instincts.
    Last edited by jstern; 01-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Decent college freshman

[QUOTE=jstern]That fade away right there is one of the biggest difference that I see in Jordan and Kobe. Kobe

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    it's called stannery. if MJ was taking a dump you be praising him for his natural bowl movement.

It's called INNOVATION...Jordan revolutionized the guard-post game in ways never seen before. Don't be mad that Kobe grew up as alot of us did...watching and idolizing Michael Jordan's game. Kobe's the biggest Jordan stan there is.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    it's called stannery. if MJ was taking a dump you be praising him for his natural bowl movement.
    I bet you got offended when I said that Kobe copies move, and I said that copying move is not a criticism to prevent people like you from getting mad. It's just my honest opinion. In fact I think it was Phil Jackson that wonder if Kobe had vision problem because he would just take a difficult shot, not seeing his open teammates, but it's not his vision, it's that he pre plans a move and that stops a person from reacting to different circumstances. In his defense that Phil comment (or one of the other Lakers coaches comments) was 10 years ago, so he has improved.

Serious playground baller

jordan's are nice but they don't look as smooth as kobes, at least from my perspective.

Decent college freshman

jordan was more economic than kobe (more physically gifted . . . stronger, quicker first step) but kobe definitely has better footwork and handle.

jordan was definitely the better player though.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    jordan was more economic than kobe (more physically gifted . . . stronger, quicker first step) but kobe definitely has better footwork and handle.

I agree, and wanted to mention something similar.

Back in the year 2000 I was thinking about the difference between Kobe and Jordan, and I thought that Jordan was more about the 1st step, and one quick moves to get a shot off, Kobe he dribbles more trying set up a move, and later that night I was watching a game and they asked Kobe that same question, and he said the exact same thing. I felt like a psychic.

It was interesting to see that Kobe was so aware of that, because I figure he would find that Jordan style more efficient.

I will disagree about the handles because Jordan turned the ball over less. Even Phil said that when comparing the two. And I guess the difference in approach favors that Jordan style.

Kobe tries to put more style. Style is what attracted the kids to the NBA, And1 stuff, but I find Jordan's approach much more effective. Not that his game didn't have style, just more fundamentally sound and more effective and based more on reflex rather than forcing a move.
    Last edited by jstern; 01-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I agree, and wanted to mention something similar.

Back in the year 2000 I was thinking about the difference between Kobe and Jordan, and I thought that Jordan was more about the 1st step, and one quick moves to get a shot off, Kobe he dribbles more trying set up a move, and later that night they I was watching a game and they asked Kobe that same question, and he said the exact same thing. I felt like a psychic.

It was interesting to see that Kobe was so aware of that, because I figure he would find that Jordan style more efficient.

I will disagree about the handles because Jordan turned the ball over less. Even Phil said that when comparing the two. And I guess the difference in approach favors that Jordan style.

Kobe tries to put more style. Style is what attracted the kids to the NBA, And1 stuff, but I find Jordan's approach much more effective. Not that his game didn't have style, just more fundamentally sound and more effective and based more on reflex rather than forcing a move.

That's a good assessment....Jordan was more for a "Point A, Point B" type of player, as in get to a spot as shortly and abruptly as possible. You will rarely ever see Jordan dance on the perimeter trying to get a guy to react. Jordan initiated the move and made the defender react to him, and so on and so forth...His game wasn't about And-1 flashy dribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Tell that to the guys who had to guard him every night.
    Tell em what? That Jordan was predictable in the post but couldn't be stopped? Im sure they would agree

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin

This, I'm surprised to see some ppl who actually watched Both play.

5-time NBA All-Star

Why is Hakeem's move considered a big deal when smaller guys rock real pimp moves on the perimeter.

Check Pearl out at the 15 second mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2Sh2uFSSg

Check Kobe out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmBrtv336E

Check Rose out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROp109RRhM
    Last edited by Pointguard; 01-04-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Banned

Kobe copied everything from Jordan.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    Kobe copied everything from Jordan.
    kobe took everything jordan did well and made it more effective and more aesthetic

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Why is Hakeem's move considered a big deal when smaller guys rock real pimp moves on the perimeter.

Check Pearl out at the 15 second mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2Sh2uFSSg

Check Kobe out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmBrtv336E

Check Rose out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROp109RRhM

First of all, you haven't seen enough Olajuwon...Second, cuz he was damn near 7-feet tall who could play like a guard.