Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: 2018 Season Observations

So there's been a few names in the trade rumors lately. Stanley Johnson is one that is being thrown out there. It makes sense. He's been a complete bust for us but still has a little upside. He's for sure not going to work out here. That's obvious. Maybe he can make a turn around somewhere else like Dinwiddie did. It's obvious he's not going to be a Piston for the long run.

The other name that seems to keep being in the rumors is Reggie Jackson. It's pretty clear that SVG doesn't see him as good enough. It's just his best option for now. It's also clear we can't be a good team with him. This team is very mediocre. It's slightly above mediocre with him, but he can never stay healthy. The thing that sucks is no team is just going to swap us an upgrade at PG for him. That wouldn't make sense. Since the Pistons are now stuck in mediocrity we will never end up with a good enough pick to make a difference. This is exactly what I've been worried about forever now. Part of the problem is we win when Tobias scores over 20 typically. If he doesn't then we lose. He needs help. He's nearing an all-star level but he isn't quite consistent enough. Plus teams can focus on him.

Kennard is the guy that teams want. SVG has said no way to that. One would think he would play more if SVG was actually so high on him. I think teams know what Detroit does with rookies and they know they would play them more and they would do better in their systems. If we're going to be mediocre may as well develop someone while we're at it. I like what Kennard has done so far. Mitchell is the guy we could really use, hindsight 20/20, but I still think Kennard is going to be good. Which scares me about giving Bradley a long term deal. Sure they have him play SF some. That's not his position though. If they sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal then Kennard will be benched for that many years basically. Or if they go small and start Bradley and Kennard we can count on not winning for another half decade. This team is very frustrating. For as smart as SVG is, and he really does say a lot of stuff that makes sense, he is just terrible with the roster moves. He needs to coach and the team needs a real GM that is in charge of the roster 100%. I think throughout the league it's pretty much proven that coaches with a lot of power over the roster (like the Clippers for example) don't have good results.

Not airballing my layups anymore

FWIW, I dont see Stanley as a bust. He has some bonehead moments but he rarely gives up on defense where I believe he's an asset as opposed to RJ's defensive liability.

RJ in my opinion is the one we need to get rid of. Super talented, but selective in when he applies it. When he moves the ball within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, things go well. But he'll often dribble away the shot clock leaving no time for team offense. Excellent finisher around the rim but unpredictable when he'll turn it on and be aggressive. Possibly because of his injuries, but regardless of reason it's not good to have a tentative PG out there.

The upside is that we've gotten to see the potential from guys like Luke and Dwight, who seem to be thriving. We'll see what happens with the addition of Felder in his temporary contract.

NBA lottery pick

Dinwiddie made us letting him go look really bad today lol. He's clearly no where near the same player he was a few years ago. He really looks like he should be a NBA starter now. Without a doubt one of the most improved players. Everyone including myself though he was a bust.

The Detroit Pistons made me feel like a fool at the beginning of the year because I doubted them.

Blow the team up. Keep Kennard. Draft picks. Trust the Process.

NBA lottery pick

Pretty much what I've been saying for years (minus the Kennard part lol). It does look like Luke is the SG of the future here. He's the only rookie I can remember that has kinda cracked the rotation with Van Gundy. When he gets minutes he usually puts up good numbers. I like Dre and Tobias. We still need a PG and a SF. It seems like we've all been saying this for years. We aren't going to land one in free agency. I would highly doubt we can get one in a trade (at least to the caliber that we want I mean). The only way to do it is the draft. We can't do it in the draft if the team keeps fighting to be mediocre. To be honest I think most people would say they like the young talent in Chicago and Milwaukee more than they do here. That doesn't look well for our future. I say move Reggie if we can and try to get a 1st round pick out of him. Try to move Stanley Johnson too. He's at least somewhat valuable before people realize he's a bust. Let the Bucks have the 8 seed. This is a loaded draft, but right now we are just outside of lottery territory where the quality of the picks start going down. Let's see more of Kennard and Ellenson. Let's make a few moves. Then if we have another first and our potential lottery pick maybe we can move up for once and get an impact player.

NBA lottery pick

Is anybody else really not excited about Bullock starting at SF? I know there aren't a lot of options, but it's just not working. Here's his stats in 22 starts: 10.3 ppg, 2.0 threes per game, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.9 spg, & 0.2 bpg It's not really rocket science as to why we are losing games. Now Philly has a 3 game lead on the 8 seed. I really don't want to be the 8 seed. I've said forever it's the worst place to be. The actual exception to that is Philly. They have a #1 draft pick who hasn't really played yet and a young core that will only go up. They can totally afford to be an 8 seed. The Pistons on the other hand can't attract a top FA, don't have the assets to make a major trade, and could really use a top lottery pick for once. Time to start developing the younger guys so we can draft a PG or SF.