Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default What is Philadelphia doing?

It was clear that Okafor wasn't happy about going there. Why would they tank for 3 years straight just to end up with 4 bigmen (1 overseas) to show for it?

When teams like the Thunder or Spurs built through the draft they drafted a different position basically every year and hit on all of those positions. That's what you have to do if you don't want to be picking in the top 5 every year for a decade.

It's becoming clear that nobody wants to play there. They are quickly becoming more and more renowned as a losing franchise.

Default Re: What is Philadelphia doing?

Kahn reincarnate

IMO you've spent numerous years in the lottery and don't even have a team developed yet? That's a mega fail.

I understand picking the best talent available but really this is ridiculous to watch unless they plan to showcase them and then try to move one of the pieces for other talent?

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    IMO you've spent numerous years in the lottery and don't even have a team developed yet? That's a mega fail.

I understand picking the best talent available but really this is ridiculous to watch unless they plan to showcase them and then try to move one of the pieces for other talent?
    Yeah at this point it seems that drafting Embiid and Saric with the idea that you can move them as "assets" or whatever, has kinda backfired. Saric looks like he may never come over to the league and I don't know how much they could get for Embiid who in his first 2 years in the league may never even play cause of injury problems.

I do think that Okafor/Noel is a good starting point and both of those guys compliment eachother really well, but they have no other talent at all on that roster and basically have to keep tanking when this is the time where they should start at least getting into the playoffs or coming close, not going like 18-64 again.

Learning to shoot layups

I'm not sure why there so much confusion. Between the 3 players only one has played at the pro level and it wasn't until the second half of the season that he looked to be lottery quality.

There's no good reason to pass on selecting a skilled big as an insurance policy if one of of these guys doesn't produce.

It also gives them the highest perceived trade value...at least going into the next season.

I do agree that this team needs to find an identity but they need to evaluate these guys once their healthy before they can determine the next course of action.

IMO, this whole idea of drafting players just as "assets" (especially in the high lottery) is stupid and is only something that losing franchises do.

When OKC drafted Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, or when the Spurs drafted Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, the plan was always to build around those guys, not just tank and hope that they become valued assets or some stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalRyan
    I'm not sure why there so much confusion. Between the 3 players only one has played at the pro level and it wasn't until the second half of the season that he looked to be lottery quality.

There's no good reason to pass on selecting a skilled big as an insurance policy if one of of these guys doesn't produce.

It also gives them the highest perceived trade value...at least going into the next season.

I do agree that this team needs to find an identity but they need to evaluate these guys once their healthy before they can determine the next course of action.
    I understand that in that position you have to take Okafor, but tanking for what, 3 straight years, and having that result in 4 bigmen with 1 who it looks like may just stay overseas (when they could of at least had like Elfrid Payton) and then the other may not even play again this year but even when he comes back won't even be able to start now.

IDK man, I just don't see what their plan is. Doesn't seem like they have one, they didn't even have a private workout with Okafor and they had the 3rd pick.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    IMO, this whole idea of drafting players just as "assets" (especially in the high lottery) is stupid and is only something that losing franchises do.
    That's nothing more than a byproduct of limited exposure. The days of evaluating lottery talent that has seen 3 or 4 years of college level competition is over. Its become a lot harder to weed out the guys who are going to be able to make it at the next level let alone the ones who will be superstars.

Look at this years number 1 pick. Guy averaged what? 10 and 7. They have to determine what is legitimate and what is a result of his teams style and approach to the game. 1 year of college leaves a lot questions.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    I understand that in that position you have to take Okafor, but tanking for what, 3 straight years, and having that result in 4 bigmen with 1 who it looks like may just stay overseas (when they could of at least had like Elfrid Payton) and then the other may not even play again this year but even when he comes back won't even be able to start now.

IDK man, I just don't see what their plan is. Doesn't seem like they have one, they didn't even have a private workout with Okafor and they had the 3rd pick.
    Yeah I don't really disagree with your point. But until one of their picks start looking like a franchise player it makes sense to hold off on committing to an identity. I believe the idea is that eventually they'll find some upper level chemistry or their franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalRyan
    Yeah I don't really disagree with your point. But until one of their picks start looking like a franchise player it makes sense to hold off on committing to an identity. I believe the idea is that eventually they'll find some upper level chemistry or their franchise player.

Yeah but good luck selling that philosophy to fans who are waiting to see something form there in terms of some type of team that is capable of winning more than 20 games every season.

There's a reason Okafor looked sad as hell when they picked him. That franchise has a rep now dude.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Realizing how hit and miss the draft can be and just taking the best players they deem available.

College superstar

Let's say Okafor, Noel, and Embiid all actually play, but don't hit their "bottom" or their "ceiling.

Okafor = Al Jefferson
    Noel = Theo Ratliff/Samuel Dalembert
    Embiid = taller David West

Unless someone vehemently disagrees with my comparisons, that trio is nasty. And that's with none of them reaching their potential (or admittedly none bottoming out).

All 3 can be on the team. All 3 can play big mins (32 each). Philly has been stockpiling assets to get a legit franchise player... and one just fell in to their laps (okafor) without having to trade up, or trade period.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Let's say Okafor, Noel, and Embiid all actually play, but don't hit their "bottom" or their "ceiling.

Okafor = Al Jefferson
    Noel = Theo Ratliff/Samuel Dalembert
    Embiid = taller David West

Unless someone vehemently disagrees with my comparisons, that trio is nasty. And that's with none of them reaching their potential (or admittedly none bottoming out).

All 3 can be on the team. All 3 can play big mins (32 each). Philly has been stockpiling assets to get a legit franchise player... and one just fell in to their laps (okafor) without having to trade up, or trade period.
    Good luck paying the rest of that roster once they all need extensions at virtually the same time.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Good luck paying the rest of that roster once they all need extensions at virtually the same time.
    Thank you. Staggered by one year each, which is helpful. But otherwise.. it will be a difficult thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Realizing how hit and miss the draft can be and just taking the best players they deem available.
    This. When you draft for position you end up with a Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.