Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Who was stronger--Ben Wallace or Karl Malone?

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    ????? like there was somebody who could handle that behemoth
    Right, that was kind of my point. The feller I quoted said Ben Wallace matched up with Shaquille O'Neal, thus giving him a strength edge over Malone. I was merely saying I'm not sure what Ben did to Shaq that Karl couldn't, for Shaq kind of went to work on Wallace - like he did on everyone.

5-time NBA All-Star

I don't know where all of this Malone wasn't physical on the court is coming from. I honestly can only think of one player that was a bigger bully on the court and that was Shaq. Especially in the deep post. Malone didn't do great moves he just powered himself in. He was called the power in power forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VzlQLbXz7I

In the gym Malone would beat Wallace with the weights because he loved doing weights and got great results. In a fight Wallace wins because he was a trained boxer. So be it, if it got to wrestling Malone was a lot bigger. On the court Malone used his weight as good as anybody because he was skilled to go along with it.

Anybody remember when Chambers punched Malone in the face and that was the only event of the fight, outside of Malone not breaking stride. And its the only time when you felt the guy who got punched in the face won. Malone was a brick wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I don't know where all of this Malone wasn't physical on the court is coming from. I honestly can only think of one player that was a bigger bully on the court and that was Shaq. Especially in the deep post. Malone didn't do great moves he just powered himself in. He was called the power in power forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VzlQLbXz7I

In the gym Malone would beat Wallace with the weights because he loved doing weights and got great results. In a fight Wallace wins because he was a trained boxer. So be it, if it got to wrestling Malone was a lot bigger. On the court Malone used his weight as good as anybody because he was skilled to go along with it.

Anybody remember when Chambers punched Malone in the face and that was the only event of the fight, outside of Malone not breaking stride. And its the only time when you felt the guy who got punched in the face won. Malone was a brick wall.
    This. Malone was like a train, believe me - you didnt want to be in his way to the basket.

Also having strength doesnt mean you have to power-through every basket, even Shaq not always did, and Diezel wasnt half as versatile as Malone.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Good call. I think he sort of had a second peak with his team's finals appearances in the late 90's. He was 33 when he won his first MVP award and he played a little differently at that point. His athleticism had dwindled a touch and strong finesse began taking over a little more (bullying folks then finishing with good layups or reliable jumpers).

Younger Malone, the one whose teams did not reach the Finals, brought the pain in all facets. Still bully strong, but could also jump through people and explode. I think that Malone, the athletic prime version, sometimes gets remembered second due to his latter career success. He was always strong, but there were more visible reminders of his strength during the old Jazz logo era.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

me

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Right, that was kind of my point. The feller I quoted said Ben Wallace matched up with Shaquille O'Neal, thus giving him a strength edge over Malone. I was merely saying I'm not sure what Ben did to Shaq that Karl couldn't, for Shaq kind of went to work on Wallace - like he did on everyone.
    My point was that Wallace faced opponents who were bigger than him more often and held his own. Then theres the shove on Artest that sent him flying

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    My point was that Wallace faced opponents who were bigger than him more often and held his own. Then theres the shove on Artest that sent him flying
    True. Malone did knock out David Robinson and Shawn Kemp, tho.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    I think Ben's length and athleticism helped him hang with bigger fellows in addition to his strength. I believe Malone could have similarly banged with players that size, but his leaping ability and length may have left him at a disadvantage, not a lack of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think Karl Malone was on another level. Yes, he was committed to basketball, but he sometimes almost seemed more committed to lifting and working out (which only helped him become a better basketball player). I feel as though I read he was a mountain biker as well (my memory says he'd go for 30-to-50 mile rides). He took pride in putting in a ton of work and seeing the results.

So would you put down Malone as the strongest NBA player of all time?

We all know Wilt used to deadlift pickup trucks and could clean and jerk a pregnant rhinocerous, so we'll exclude him from this discussion.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    This. Malone was like a train, believe me - you didnt want to be in his way to the basket.

Also having strength doesnt mean you have to power-through every basket, even Shaq not always did, and Diezel wasnt half as versatile as Malone.
    Taking a charge from this freight train is how Pippen ****ed up his back in the 98 finals.