Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Future of the NBA: 20 Years From Now

Do you think there will be ring changes? Changes to the height of the basket? Changes in scoring?

Do you think the athletes will be better? Do you think colleges will keep churning out guys without post games?

Will we see another LBJ/Jordan/Wilt/Kobe/Kareem?

What things do you see changing? Or do you think it will stay relatively the same..

Thoughts
    Last edited by poido123; 09-06-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Future of the NBA: 20 Years From Now

Bulls win 0 rings in that timeframe

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Soccer is being played by way more people than basketball and has a greater history. There weren't too many changes in the rules of soccer AFAIK.

Being on topic, I have no idea. What I know is I'd love to see a shortened shot clock, like 20 seconds. Faster game. Rings 6-8 inches higher. Harder to dunk. Hand checking back in. No 2nd FT if you miss the first.

And a crazy idea: baskets counted twice in the last 2 minutes of each quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Soccer is being played by way more people than basketball and has a greater history. There weren't too many changes in the rules of soccer AFAIK.

Being on topic, I have no idea. What I know is I'd love to see a shortened shot clock, like 20 seconds. Faster game. Rings 6-8 inches higher. Harder to dunk. Hand checking back in. No 2nd FT if you miss the first.

And a crazy idea: baskets counted twice in the last 2 minutes of each quarter.
    Definitely disagree with those two

There better be in-game technicals for flopping, and suspensions if it happens repeatedly.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

More teams playing teamball and lots of international players.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Definitely disagree with those two
    Doesn't matter much, neither of these is likely to happen.

I'd penalize players who can't hit FTs. FIBA had this rule when I started playing 30 years ago and it was a great rule I think. As for the other one... I know it's crazy but it would make the endgames a lot more entertaining. Outcomes would be less decided, more competition, more drama.... entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Doesn't matter much, neither of these is likely to happen.

I'd penalize players who can't hit FTs. FIBA had this rule when I started playing 30 years ago and it was a great rule I think. As for the other one... I know it's crazy but it would make the endgames a lot more entertaining. Outcomes would be less decided, more competition, more drama.... entertainment.
    My problem with your free throw rule is, you could hack a guy who was gonna attempt an open 3 pointer, yet if his first one misses you essentially let the defense off the hook for 3 points.

And I definitely wouldn't deny your second one would be entertaining, but for a team to erase a 5-6 point deficit by making some fluke half court shot at the buzzer just wouldn't be fair to the team leading at the time

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

An assist counts if the player fouled hits both free throws?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    That one's actually pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    I've always thought that would be an awesome idea. It would inflate Rondo and CP3's assist totals even more.

Also maybe an assist % stat. Basically if you pass it to a guy and he misses the open 3, layup, etc. it counts as an assist opportunity. And assist % is the ratio of assists to assist opportunities.

My problem with your free throw rule is, you could hack a guy who was gonna attempt an open 3 pointer, yet if his first one misses you essentially let the defense off the hook for 3 points.

And I definitely wouldn't deny your second one would be entertaining, but for a team to erase a 5-6 point deficit by making some fluke half court shot at the buzzer just wouldn't be fair to the team leading at the time

Hit your FTs.

You are right. It would be unfair. But being a genetic freak is unfair, too. And the other team may also hit a fluke 3. BTW, some shots counting more than 2 pts isn't fair either. You just got used to it.

Starting off, I do think we'll see another superstar like Kareem/Jordan/LeBron/Russell/Kobe/Shaq/Wilt in the future. These "once in a generation" guys come around a couple times every 1-2 decades.

Wilt & Russell - 50s and 60s
    Kareem - 70s/80s
    Magic & Larry - 80s
    Jordan - 80s/90s
    LeBron & Kobe - 2000s

These are just some of the greats who have come around since basketball first started. And who knows... maybe the next "once in a generation" guy was just drafted (Wiggins or Jabari?). We already have a guy named Kevin Durant who has potential to go down as one of the greats.

Secondly, I do see a couple changes coming in the future. I think someday we'll eliminate divisions and just have 2 conferences. Another change I see happening is that the 10 day contract will probably be eliminated. I always thought it was dumb to have that. Just sign the player for the rest of the year and if he doesn't perform good, just cut him. Also, any shot behind the half-court line should count a 4 points. That'd be cool

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

That one's actually pretty good
    Well it makes sense.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

If you miss a FT in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter a point is subtracted from your team's score