Default What if the NBA used a wildcard playoff format

You all know how bad the JV league aka Eastern Conference of the NBA is, currently. I'm guessing SA/OKC/GS/LAC/DAL/POR/HOU/MEM make playoffs. But the thing is, the Pelicans, Nuggets, Suns, hell maybe Kings and Jazz could be fighting for a playoff spot out east. Eventually though, at some point in the future the West is going to be weaker than the East. The NBA could fix that with wildcards.

For playoffs, the top 2 teams in each division qualify, which fills 6 playoff seeds in each conference. Seeds 7 and 8, are given to the 4 teams not in the playoffs with the best record, regardless of conference. I don't know how they'd decide which conference the wild card winners go into but I'm sure Silver is smart enough to figure it out. Maybe the best wildcard gets the 7th seed spot vs the #2 seed with the lower record. next one plays the other two seed.

Silver could make it even nicer with a play-in game to get a wildcard slot. It would make teams take the regular season more seriously through the end too.

Default Re: What if the NBA used a wildcard playoff format

For real though wildcard is the answer