Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #4 Jerry West Vs Oscar Robertson.

Default Re: ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #4 Jerry West Vs Oscar Robertson.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Oh, nice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Correction:

Oscar was the more skilled - fundamentally sound player. He is slightly bigger & stronger, but that's almost moot as a transcendent player.

The difference is between peak and career. Peak-wise, it's Oscar. Career-wise, it's West (with the advantage of players like Baylor in his prime - and his entire career - and Wilt from 1968-1973). Oscar was better than West for their first 4 years. 65-68, even, more or less. West won the last 7 years.

Bill Simmons nailed the difference: West understood the secret better than Oscar.

The secret of basketball? It's not about basketball. Only the very greatest of greats grasp this, and only on occasion throughout their careers.
    Whatever one may think about Simmons and The Book of Basketball, I think that his theory on 'the secret of the game' is very well thought out, eventhough it is completely subjective and not based on anything as evident as stats/calculations, or even skillevel (although ranking a player's skills is also subjective).

IMO (from what I've heard/read/seen) Oscar was a better player than West. More skilled, talented, versatile, a better scorer and playmaker.
    But West did more with less, in terms of (team)achievments.
    Also, he has incredible playoff numbers. Being the playoffleader in scoring a couple of times.

This could really go eitherway. I pick Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Jerry Wests wife kept track of his stats at home games and let the score keepers know when they were off. Its in a book I was reading a while back. His wife was pretty major in his career. Its said she would intentionally piss him off before home games because he played better angry. Give him a shitty meal that morning. West was quoted saying she might make him a burger knowing he expected steak just to bug him so he would take it out on the other team. Somehow throw off his routine just to get him to have to rush and be annoyed. Good read really.

I believe I read that Jerry was pissed off about something the game he scored on Bill Sharman 7 straight possessions and got a punch thrown at him for it. Perhaps she made him leave home with blue balls...
    nice story Just trolling here, but if Rasheed Wallace would've married a referee (or Slava Medvedenko) he would've been the GOAT (no homo).

Couple hours left to vote.

Why won't u edit the OP to reflect the votes/voters?

This is the third thread u haven't done so.

Didnt occour to me. Ill do it later

I believe its West by a final vote of 13-8

L.Kizzle - Oscar
    ThaSwagg3r - West
    Rose - Chose not to vote
    WillC - Oscar
    1987 Lakers - West
    neyca - West
    Toizumi - Oscar
    Shaqattack3234 - Jerry West
    Magnax1 - Oscar
    nycelt84 - West
    KGMN - Oscar