Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default This postseason is exposing the nba's joke of a regular season

The Cavs were struggling all year and just turned their intensity up like a light switch. It's obvious Kyrie and JR Smith were probably partying hard during the reg season...they look like completely different players in the playoffs.

And now we have an all time great regular season team (67-15 Spurs) about to go down in the second round. So

Baseball and hockey are two highly volatile (high variance) sports, where two bounces of the puck or baseball will decide 40% of their games. Thus, in these sports, it is necessary to play a lot of games (82 in NHL, 162 in MLB) so that the truly good teams have enough time to separate from the bad teams.

In basketball, however, all we need is around 45 games to weed out the bad teams. 82 is ridiculously unnecessary. An elite team can party and mess around all regular season long in the NBA and still be guaranteed a playoff spot. And they do. This is why the nba reg season product is so weak.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 05-10-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Good college starter

Default Re: This postseason is exposing the nba's joke of a regular season

The regular season has become pointless. It's too long.

I agree 82 games is too long but 45 is way too short. You're just trying to extend Lebron's career now OP so relax with that

I think 65-70 games might be good. But obviously it won't happen, money talks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    The Cavs were struggling all year and just turned their intensity up like a light switch. It's obvious Kyrie and JR Smith were probably partying hard during the reg season...they look like completely different players in the playoffs.

And now we have an all time great regular season team (67-15 Spurs) about to go down in the second round.

Baseball and hockey are two highly volatile (high variance) sports, where two bounces of the puck or baseball will decide 40% of their games. Thus, in these sports, it is necessary to play a lot of games (82 in NHL, 162 in MLB) so that the truly good teams have enough time to separate from the bad teams.

In basketball, however, all we need is around 45 games to weed out the bad teams. 82 is ridiculously unnecessary. An elite team can party all regular season long in the NBA and still be guaranteed a playoff spot. This is why the nba reg season product is so weak.
    Proof that this was a down year league wide. Just from the eye test, I thought the '14 Spurs were easily the better squad.

With the exception of Kawhi, everyone is just an older, slower, less effective version of their '14 selves and LaMarcus is wildly inconsistent. Duncan was still a 15/10 player but now he goes half the series without scoring a bucket.

Yea but as a basketball fan would you rather have less games to watch? I like the long season

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Proof that this was a down year league wide. Just from the eye test, I thought the '14 Spurs were easily the better squad.

With the exception of Kawhi, everyone is just an older, slower, less effective version of their '14 selves and LaMarcus is wildly inconsistent. Duncan was still a 15/10 player but now he goes half the series without scoring a bucket.
    Asterisk season IMO. Everything's been meaningless since the great Chalmers went down with a season ending injury. We all know he would have led Memphis to the chip if he had stayed healthy.

Local High School Star LilEddyCurry's Avatar

2014 was perfect team-ball team. There was no clear star on the team but everyone was solid and had mastered playing in the Pop system.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I agree 82 games is too long but 45 is way too short. You're just trying to extend Lebron's career now OP so relax with that

I chose 45 because that is the time of the all-star break. And I can't remember any year in which a team that wasn't top 8 at the all-star break ended up making the Finals or even the Conference Finals.

So it seems that by the all-star break, we have already separated out the good teams from the bad teams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

Bingo. That's why the league added more games in the first round. If it were up to the League brass and team owners, the NBA would be a 24/7, 365 day a year (366 on leap years) league.

No way anyone outside of the players union pushes for less games.

2014 was perfect team-ball team. There was no clear star on the team but everyone was solid and had mastered playing in the Pop system.
    Yeah, the way they played ball that season, especially in the playoffs was magical. This year's team is hit or miss. Some games they're on, others they are a disjointed mess.

It's because the Spurs are REALLY good at beating up on shit teams and beating who they should

But they were never on Golden state's level

Because GS are on their own level for one reason

Curry

Quote Originally Posted by moongaze
    Yea but as a basketball fan would you rather have less games to watch? I like the long season
    This.

As a fan I want games.

You can just not watch the entire reg season.

this team was the best defensive team they've had in awhile however. Agree however especially based on playoff play that 14 was still better. It's been a 2 man show on offense and OKC has done pretty well on offense vs them.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

That's what happens when you play in the west. Win 67 games and still face a team just as good in the second round.

Not everybody can play the Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    You can just not watch the entire reg season.
    Basketball is my favorite sport though