Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Prime Amare vs Current LMA

is this a joke?
    is this a fvcking joke?

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    I remember seeing a 22 year old Amare just go in on a prime Tim Duncan in the playoffs. I watched Amare that entire series with my jaws dropped, and as much as I love LMA, he's never had anywhere close to that kind of effect on me. You can even argue Amare's true potential was robbed from him by injuries.
    You probably didn't remember that Duncan was recovering from a badly sprained ankles right before the playoffs. Duncan with limited mobility still managed to drop 30/15 on Amare.

Current LMA's game is better than prime Amare. LMA is a complete player. No offense to Amare, which had an explosive game, however he had no defense and no post game. Plus the whole Phoenix offense was built around Nash, not Amare.

Hindsight is 20/20

According to ISH 4 years ago Channing Frye was better than David Lee

If you're going to compare a player who's past their prime to a current all-star let be fair to the past player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I've always seen Amare as a loser. He's never been interested in defense.
    Amare has talked about how growing up as a player under Dantoni that defense was never stressed.. he played on the run and gun suns for a coach who literally did not have his team practice defense.

Nash made Amare.
    Complete BS to anyone that saw him play as a Knick before melo came

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    I remember seeing a 22 year old Amare just go in on a prime Tim Duncan in the playoffs. I watched Amare that entire series with my jaws dropped, and as much as I love LMA, he's never had anywhere close to that kind of effect on me. You can even argue Amare's true potential was robbed from him by injuries.
    Yet the Suns were nearly swept.

It's well known the Spurs "stayed home on the shooters" (Suns were the best three point shooting team) in that series and took a gamble assuming Amare couldn't win them games alone (didn't double team him). Which worked. Duncan wasn't stopped either and averaged 27 ppg, 14 rpg, and 3 bpg contributing both an elite offensive and defensive impact in the series.

Personally, I'd take current LaMarcus Aldridge and maybe last season's Aldridge too. More of a complete player, seems like more of a leader, higher ceiling. Amare is a joke on defense, even though he can block shots.

Prime Amare.

prime amar'e is 26ppg on 59% ...let that sink in for a bit.
    smashing on people's foreheads with a wet, wet, wet jumper.
    that's shaq-like domination on offense.

i know he's not a defender but aldridge over prime stat?

get outta here.

Banned

People are forgetting how good prime Amare was, maybe they are focusing too much on current Amare that it clouds their judgement, I love LMA right now but I can't pick him over prime Amare, LMA does play better defense though so I can understand if you want to argue that aspect.

Made that high school varsity squad

Prime Amare easily. Total beast of a scorer, high volume on high efficiency. LMA has better defense but he's alright at best, and he's such an inefficient scorer too.

Banned

I've always seen Amare as a loser. He's never been interested in defense. In his prime he was a damn beast in the paint but not as able to take over the game on his own. Nash made Amare.

Aldridge on the other hand is a much better defender in the post and in general one on one situations. They are both pretty damn good free throw shooters. Aldridge has an unstoppable post game that I think puts him well above Amare at any point. His overall game makes him the best PF in the league.

Statistically Amare has an edge but I think Aldridge is the more skilled player of the two. We see what Amare is able to do without his super freaky athleticism and it's not much. Aldridge's game will age well because he has great skill.
    Except for the fact that Amare had his most dominant season without Nash.

Amare, in his Phoenix days, could've easily averaged 30 PPG if he got 21 FGA per game like Aldridge is right now.

Amare and is not even close

Amare quite easily. LMA is a nice player, but STAT would make this Portland team an actual elite squad.

Aldridge is the more complete player. Amare was the perfect fit for that run n gun system but was never a good defender and lacked any real post moves when he couldn't dunk it on you. Aldridge is a serviceable 1v1 defender, unstoppable mid range game and decent in the post. A lot more rounded.

When you think about it, Amare was on a successful team in his prime, running in the perfect system for him. Now that LMA is in that situation, he's absolutely beasting. Who knows how we'd be talking about LMA in the future if he'd had a team like this for an extended period.