Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star MrUnstopable's Avatar

Exclamation Hawks officially say goodbye to Mike Woodson

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5924

Executive VP/General Manager Rick Sund met with Coach Mike Woodson this morning and informed him that he will not be offered a new contract.

“After careful consideration, we have made a difficult decision regarding Coach Woodson’s contractual status,” said Sund. “We’re grateful for Mike’s contributions over the last six years and we want to wish him the very best.”
    Last edited by insidehoops; 05-14-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Derka
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Breaking News: Mike Woodson gone

I beat you in the Mike Brown thread by like 30 seconds. Neener neener :P

Well its not gonna change anything, the Hawks are still a team with plenty of talents and potential but no heart.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

its not his fault

I rule the local playground

who cares. let's talk about lebron. mike woodson my butt. he's worse than mike brown. I coulda drawn up better plays for the hawks.

why live??

I thought it was Mike Brown that was fired. I get those two no-brained 8-balls mixed up

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    its not his fault
    It's not his fault that he admitted that he doesn't get the team to practice offense and it resulted in them being unable to score points in the playoffs?

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
    It's not his fault that he admitted that he doesn't get the team to practice offense and it resulted in them being unable to score points in the playoffs?
    its more of the players fault too

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Perfect timing amidst the Lebron saga

What is the Hawks GM expecting on that squad? East Finals?

I think he's doing a great job on the Hawks, They don't have super star or legit star on the team but he was able to put the hawks as one of the contender in the last two years.

For those of you who didn't know, Mike Woodson was hands down the worst coach in the league. He did not practice offense, saying that 'it will come on it's own'. The iso strategy actually worked in the regular season, because the Hawks have nearly as much talent as any team in the league across the board. Sadly, that strategy clearly does not work in the playoffs when games slow down, fast break points become hard to come by, and coaching takes a front seat.

His lack of coaching talent was amplified by the fact that he had continuous problems with our players, especially Josh Smith. He could not motivate our players and usually could not even get them to listen to him (not that he ever had anything important to say).

Under Woodson the Hawks continuously blew leads, didn't show up mentally to games, and had lapses in concentration and intensity that often lasted for entire quarters.

I know that we won't have Joe Johnson next year so our lineup will look pretty different, but everything else aside I think replacing Woodson with a good coach will add 5-7 wins at least. It's hard to say though, because many players on our team, (Horford, Smith, Williams) have never even played under a legitimate system offense. We all may be very very surprised at the results if these players fit in well to whatever coaching scheme the Hawks end up with.

Overall this news is not a surprise at all, Rick Sund did not hire Woodson and has been waiting for just this opportunity to get rid of his dumb ass. Sund is smart, and I have a lot of faith in whatever decision he makes.

It is a good day for Hawks fans and the entire franchise

The players clearly quit on him during the Magic series.

That said, Woodson didn't have the tools during his tenure. First the Hawks refused to draft a point guard in either Paul or D. Williams.

This year, the Hawks refused to add another wing to help out with scoring.

I don't know who the Hawks are going to look at.

The best coach would be Larry Brown. He could make Josh and Al and Marvin so much better, especially on the offensive end.

This is actually good for Woodson. He's getting out before the ship sinks.

When your team quits on you, this is always the conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    This is actually good for Woodson. He's getting out before the ship sinks.
    I don't know what you have against the Hawks but I think you are an idiot. You probably predicted us to win 40 games last year and had to wait all season until our disappointing playoffs so you could start predicting us to miss the playoffs again.

Also, to anyone defending Woodson, you don't know anything about the Hawks and are looking only at his win increase, which is due to the maturation of our young and talented roster.

The Hawks will win 50+ again next season; we will have a top 3 front court in the league, we have over 20 million dollars this offseason, and we are going to get a competent coach. I realize it is too early but I will make an avatar bet with anyone that we win 50+ next year.