Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NBA 2K17 will include the original Dream Team.

With Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen.

Last time I played Barkley in an NBA game was Lakers vs. Celtics on Sega Genesis. For anyone who played the game, Barkley had an unstoppable signature move called the Gorilla Dunk where he two-hand jammed from anywhere around the FT line.

Local High School Star Achilleas's Avatar

Default Re: NBA 2K17 will include the original Dream Team.

finally,now i hope c webb want to be in the game and we can have kings 2002

2017 GSW will slaughter them.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleas
    finally,now i hope c webb want to be in the game and we can have kings 2002
    Dream team is Pre-Order only*

Also I have hope for C Webb too, as he was in 2K's mobile card app as a rewards card, so they must have his licensing

I want sheed on the 2000 blazers and also on the Pistons

Local High School Star KingPush's Avatar

Only dream team we acknowledge is the Warriors

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

No thanks to Christian Laettner.

Where's all the Barkley homers?

Apparently 2K17 will allow you to add expansion teams as well. You can create your own, or use pre-made expansion teams.

Rumor is the game will include International and Euroleague teams as well.

The Aussie team has been confirmed.

David Andersen
    Cameron Bairstow
    Aron Baynes
    Andrew Bogut
    Ryan Broekhoff
    Matthew Dellavedova
    Dante Exum
    Chris Goulding
    Joe Ingles
    Kevin Lisch
    Damian Martin
    Patrick Mills
    Brock Motum

Why isn't Barkley in any of the games? I just realized this

Quote Originally Posted by Draz

He sold his rights to Sony in the early 90's, which is why he wasn't in any EA games back then. After he got his rights back, he never sold them to anyone else. Nobody really knows why. Best guess is he wants more money, or more emphasis on himself. There was a rumor back in 2012 that Barkley wanted 2K to dedicate a game mode to him, much like they did with MJ in NBA 2K12.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He sold his rights to Sony in the early 90's, which is why he wasn't in any EA games back then. After he got his rights back, he never sold them to anyone else. Nobody really knows why. Best guess is he wants more money, or more emphasis on himself. There was a rumor back in 2012 that Barkley wanted 2K to dedicate a game mode to him, much like they did with MJ in NBA 2K12.
    If I recall correctly, the closest we got to a legitimate explanation came in 2012 when, in a radio interview, Barkley referenced his displeasure with the NBA for their financial shortcomings when it comes to taking care of former players (referencing his former teammates and opponents, not himself).

Basically, I think he's always balked at allowing the NBA to profit off his name for incidentals like video games when they were just going to turn around and continue to give retired players a raw deal, in his eyes.

The Dream Team was actually included in NBA 2K13, with Barkley too, but it came very close to not happening. Apparently he refused to allow his likeness to be used, as usual, but admitted he changed his tune late in the development cycle upon receiving a phone call from Jay-Z (gamers may recall the obnoxious gold-plated Jay-Z pimping of that year's iteration). I recall Barkley saying something like, "When Jay-Z calls, you listen."

All that said, 2K13's Dream Team was super limited. The roster (and players) couldn't be edited, meaning most players were relegated to wearing super blocky red and navy generic shoes, and I don't think the team was available for play outside of whatever special mode it was included for (a Dream Team/Redeem Team head-to-head I think?) In addition, Barkley was locked into Dream Team mode, with no appearance on any classic Suns or Sixers teams (the '85 Sixers still did not feature his likeness) and the inability to trade him elsewhere.

There's been hints that 2K came close to bringing him aboard prior, particularly in 2K12 when the Greatest mode featured the '93 Bulls facing the '93 Hornets instead of a more relevant foe like most of the other matchups. I recall the sunburst jerseys being hidden on the disc, as well as cyber faces for random guys like Mark West and Oliver Miller. Seems the '93 Suns must have fallen through the cracks late when 2K failed to snag Barkley.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

My understanding was that guys like Barkley, Webber, and Miller had to leave the Retired Players Association when they took on their commentating careers. KAJ specifically asked to be left out of the 2k video games due to personal (religious?) reasons.

2K has rights to to every player in the Retired Players Association, as well as any player who debuted after the 1999-2000 season (first NBA 2k game). So to get guys like Miller, Barkley and Webber, 2K has to fork over some extra cash to purchase their licensing rights. They just couldn't work out a deal as far as I know.

No idea why Rasheed isn't in the game though.

2K17 about to take over 2K11 as the goat bball game

You have to press up and down repeatedly while you're on the stationary bike and then phone it in in half of the games and never defend. If you let your opponent score more than 10 times while being slightly or not at all guarded, your game grade is A+