Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My original mission has now been accomplished

There is now enough Wilt film, data and testimony widely available for basketball fans to see that all of the once laughed and jeered "tall tales" stories about Wilt are by casual basketball fan consensus, deemed to be plausible and amazing again. Insidehoops several years ago made me so angry (I admit... very very angry) that I created the Youtube channel Wilt Chamberlain Archive because I knew that if he was even half as good an athlete as his peers were trying to explain there should be at least some amazing film and solid data out there. There is, now, after several years of work put in on the subject. I've tried to share as much of it as I can and will continue to do so. Check out this reddit submission today, and the overall public responses:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...rlain_stories/

Overwhelmingly positive, look at how many people actually AREN'T acting like it's all bullshit, and how many are reciting a lot of the stuff that ISH's Wilt fanbase like Jlauber, Phila, and the rest of us were turning up.

Ultimately it was ISH's criticisms that sparked it all, ISH single handedly brought Wilt's name back in the spotlight of NBA fans around the world. Pat yourselves on the back

Default Re: My original mission has now been accomplished

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl
    well obviously me

Did you post so much about Wilt before Bron left Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    You've also contributed greatly on the subject so right back at you. You put solid numbers behind the leagues racial composition season by season in the late 50's to early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    Did you post so much about Wilt before Bron left Cleveland?
    I became interested in Wilt since around 2004 or 2005. When I first saw his statistics. No, there is no connection to Lebron leaving and me becoming a fan of Wilt. I actually remember hoping Lebron would put up Wilt-like numbers in Cleveland back in 08 and 09. He never did though, nobody can

Ultimately it was ISH's criticisms that sparked it all
    The criticism was also directed towards most of the older players. I still recall the poster BULLS calling Hal Greer a "fat midget".

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    The criticism was also directed towards most of the older players. I still recall the poster BULLS calling Hal Greer a "fat midget".
    are you serious!?

*EDIT* Hal Greer is a solid solid player on film. I've heard many believe he was the #3 guard of that era, behind only Oscar and West (and ahead of Sam Jones). He's one of the guys I hope to cover in the future. Probably not the near future because I'm swamped, but some time down the road. He dominated the "old timers" game and was in great shape despite being one of the older guys on the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsz3wLZfwSo
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-22-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You've also contributed greatly on the subject so right back at you. You put solid numbers behind the leagues racial composition season by season in the late 50's to early 70's.

So what's the next mission? Fleshing out other players from the era?

Those Gus highlights have a ton of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii

So what's the next mission? Fleshing out other players from the era?

Those Gus highlights have a ton of potential.
    Yep still doing all that, that's been a part of my channel since early on. I realized you can't make Wilt look good if there is no context as to the state of the league/competition in his era. Oscar, Gus, Russell, another West mix at some point probably. Connie Hawkins mix needs re-done too, I've found amateur footage of him recently. Nate Thurmond will probably get an updated mix in the future too I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yep still doing all that, that's been a part of my channel since early on. I realized you can't make Wilt look good if there is no context as to the state of the league/competition in his era. Oscar, Gus, Russell, another West mix at some point probably. Connie Hawkins mix needs re-done too, I've found amateur footage of him recently. Nate Thurmond will probably get an updated mix in the future too I hope.
    Very cool, looking forward to all of it.

Clips of Wilt vs the mountain lion or GTFO

Cavs, good work on this ****. I (kinda) know how much work it takes to edit those kind of videos. And honestly as much as I do believe that the league is at its strongest today (due to analytics, global talent pool, $$$$$$$ being poured in for decades - an entire industry spawning where none had been before etc) it would have been a huge disservice and disrespect to Wilt if the ignorance here became common opinion.

It's really no different than if magically, 95% of all Kobe/Lebron/MJ footage was wiped out, and kids in 2030 were talking shit on them. You can imagine how silly it would be to disrespect these players' abilities, and how frustrated all the Kobe/Bron/Jordan stans would be

Good stuff. I wish I could have been alive to see Wilt play basketball. Based on the limited amount of footage that I've seen and what I do know of historical fact, I truly believe Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain are the 1a and 1b greatest basketball players that have ever walked this earth, with the edge going to Jordan strictly by way of his ruthless competitive spirit and the success which that brought him.