Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Centers' head at rim level

JR smith... and back in the day kmart used to get up there (still does)

im not just saying cuz they nuggz

Saw a basketball once

i think you misunderstood what the word "center" means

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CB4GOATPF
    I'll admit I truly do not have any real concrete evidence or knowledge of whether most players mentioned here have had their heads at rim level so I'm not saying a lot of these guys being mentioned can't rise that high per se, but I will say the pictures offered as evidence are often a little misleading. Pictures taken at variable lengths below the rim will often distort how high a player really is in comparison to the rim. Further, the closer a player is to the photographer in comparison to the rim will also alter perception.

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    werent baskets lower back then?

here's shaq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0sYK...eature=related

R U Serious?

Big guys? What about:
    [LIST][*]Amare Stoudemire (#32)[*]Chris Andersen[*]Tyrus Thomas[/LIST]

And this one might seem strange, but I'm sure that Sheed could do it in his prime. People forget how sick his hops used to be. If you have - check this mix (not by me).

The guys I mentioned are C/F's and not traditional Centers...

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "What's unfortunate is that most people regard the great leapers as being only the short guys who could dunk," said the 7-1 1/16 Wilt Chamberlain. "My sergeant [vertical leap] was higher than Michael Jordan's. When I went to Kansas, they had a 12-foot basket in the gym, because Dr. Phog Allen was advocating the 12-foot basket. I used to dunk on that basket. It was an effort, but I could do it."

Wilt Chamberlain claims that his sergeant, during his prime, was "46 to 48 inches, easy."

Legends abound of the truly great leapers who could touch the top of the board. Almost always the feat involves money-claims that the player could grab a dollar bill off the top of the board, or could pluck off a quarter and leave two dimes and a nickel change ... "I defy anyone to say they took change off the top of the backboard," Chamberlain said. "I could. Someone would put a quarter up and I'd snatch it down. I've heard stories about Jackie Jackson doing it, but I've never seen anyone else come close." Sonny Hill, a Philadelphia leaping legend of the '60s, backs Wilt, saying, "The only man that's been to the top, that's Wilt. I asked Kareem if he ever did, and he could jump a little bit. He told me, `Sonny, no.'"
    Well we have to believe it if Wilt said it.
    at you actually thinking Wilt has a higher jump than Jordan.

Good college starter

ryan hollins

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'll admit I truly do not have any real concrete evidence or knowledge of whether most players mentioned here have had their heads at rim level so I'm not saying a lot of these guys being mentioned can't rise that high per se, but I will say the pictures offered as evidence are often a little misleading. Pictures taken at variable lengths below the rim will often distort how high a player really is in comparison to the rim. Further, the closer a player is to the photographer in comparison to the rim will also alter perception.

Thank you, some of these pics are at ridiculous angles where you really don't know how high they actually are.

7-time NBA All-Star

I believe Artis Gilmore, Dwight Howard, Wilt, Shaq, Ralph Sampson and maybe Darryl Dawkins. There's a good chance that David Robinson could have done it as well.

I don't believe Kareem's head was as high as rim level, it was taken with him in front of the rim by a few inches which creates the illusion that he's higher than he really was. I'd say he probably missed it by a few inches.

Shaq may have missed it by a couple of inches(depending on whether he was noticeably closer to the camera than the rim), but that dunk was from his late 20's when he was also heavier than he was in Orlando. I have no doubt young Shaq could have done it.

Same with Wilt who comes very close here at age 34. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tt13a6b_uA Pause at 2:05. Wilt could definitely do it in his younger days.

Kemp, Nance and Swift are power forwards. Tyrus Thomas is barely a PF, much less a C/F as well.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Kemp, Nance and Swift are power forwards.
    Swift's natural position would most definetly be power forward, but I think he played center more than enough to qualify.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Swift's natural position would most definetly be power forward, but I think he played center more than enough to qualify.
    Nah if his natural position is PF(a position he's also played a lot) then he's a PF IMO. Stoudemire has a better case for qualifying as a center than Swift does IMO.

Decent college freshman

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Nah if his natural position is PF(a position he's also played a lot) then he's a PF IMO. Stoudemire has a better case for qualifying as a center than Swift does IMO.
    Swift played the backup center role for the Grizzlies for a long time. He played some center for the Rockets, Nets, and Suns as well. He is better suited to play the power forward postion, but he played center alot. He qualifies.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Swift played the backup center role for the Grizzlies for a long time. He played some center for the Rockets, Nets, and Suns as well. He is better suited to play the power forward postion, but he played center alot. He qualifies.
    I disagree if it's not his primary position, but we're splitting hairs here. For what's it worth he is about as tall as Darryl Dawkins and Dwight Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    He is tiptoeing on a ladder.

[COLOR=white]jokes[/COLOR]