Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: 30-Year Anniversary of Seattle SuperSonics Championship

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Ignorant People only remember Dennis Johnson to be a celtic, but he also played for the SuperSonics and won Finals MVP in '79. Put DJ in the HOF already.
    fixed

this was a good post in the times from a guy named goodycoug

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour..._id=2009284407

Thirty years ago...WOW! It's a good thing Garfield Heard missed that buzzer-beater shot at the end of Game 6 in the Valley of the Sun in the Conference Finals in '79 or the SuperSonics would have never won it.

To lose 105-99 to the Bullets at home in the previous season's Game 7 finale made the '79 win extra-special. My family still has the JC Penney's Sonics championship record album with all the game highlights, the victory parade led by the late Bill Scott, the funny little musical interludes, and the classic commentary by Bob Blackburn.

The thing about that team was, I think it was like a few years later that they had three Sonics make the All-Star team AT ONCE (Sikma, D.J., and Gus, I believe it was), but during that '79 season, there were no massive stars, and the NBA at 50 video totally skips over the two series between the Sonics and Bullets in '78 and '79.

They morph directly from Walton beating Dr. J. in '77 to the Magic/Bird era beginning in '80. All they have in between is a little segment a la "What's wrong with the NBA in '79" and they comment on the drug culture within the league and I think also the declining attendance and displeased fans.

So even in ultimate victory, the Sonics weren't given much league-wide respect, validation, or tribute, further accentuating the isolation and independence that makes Seattle SEATTLE (in SOME ways). That being said, that was such a special, selfless team, and I think nothing typified it more than the unique role that John Johnson played at forward with his passing and his understated but very real leadership role.

He was part of the glue that seemed to state without words but with actions that that team was all about one thing: the greater goal of winning a title that transcended any individualism. They were very Celtic-like in terms of how Red Auerbach's 60's Celtics dynasty approached things,

and I think it was no coincidence that former Celtic Paul Silas was on the team to provide his veteran leadership, perspective, and guidance. The 1979 Sonics were a team for all time in terms of the history of pro sports in Seattle, will always be appreciated, and will never be forgotten. "The OPERAAA IS OVERRR!!!"

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    This thread is very deceiving for those who dont realize the Seattle Sonics dont exist.

Its the 30th Anniversary of Oklahoma City Thunder's Championship
    Actually you are wrong dude, Seattle still retains the history of the Supersonics and the Thunder are counted as a completely new franchise who just had their first season. The title and everything else the sonics accomplished still belongs to Seattle, technically.

Nice to the Sonics getting some love here. It's a damn shame GP (one of my most favorite players ever) might never see his number retired. Also, as someone pointed out, its a damn shame DJ has been dead for two years and still has not gotten a HOF bid.

Not airballing my layups anymore CarpeDiemKJ's Avatar

Hersey Hawkins and Detlef Schrempg. Those dudes were great. Vincent Askew Steve Scheffler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sonics4Life
    Totally agree Killbot. I was actually not born yet in '79, so i grew up in the Payton/Kemp era too. Just couldn't get past Jordan in '96.
    We had other chances too, which is why I was pissed off. Supersonics lost to the Nuggets in the first round and I think we made history become the first one to be the 1st seed to lose to an 8th seed. <This was unacceptable>

And then we lost in the Conf. Finals to the Houston Rockets.

We also could have had a back to back championship in 1978 and 1979 season. If I remember reading an article correctly, Dennis Johnson had a bad night in Game 7 against the Washington Bullets, thus making us lose grasp of the championship.

Oh well. i shouldn't complain too much. At least, we have one.

Decent playground baller Sonics4Life's Avatar

"FEED THE HAWK!!!!"

great pics RBpoet.

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

IMO, the Sonics would have possibly won one or two titles if they had fired the toolbag George Karl and had hired a proven winner like Pat Riley (who was available in the early and mid 90s). The team was built to have a tough defensive minded coach with guys like GP, Nate Macmillan, and Sam Perkins on the Sonics teams throughout the years. Pat Riley would also have an array of offensive weapons that he lacked while in NY. Sure George Karl got them to the finals once in 96, but that was mainly because of GP's incredible play against Stockton in the WCF. That finals appearance did not make up for George Karl having two 55 plus win teams lose in the first round in consecutive years to clearly inferior opponents.

Decent playground baller Sonics4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    We had other chances too, which is why I was pissed off. Supersonics lost to the Nuggets in the first round and I think we made history become the first one to be the 1st seed to lose to an 8th seed. <This was unacceptable>
    i know dude, and that was our real shot with Jordan out of the league. that 93-94 series was the most vivid and heartbreaking moment of my sports life...until we lost the team last year of course.

i was only 10 years old, but it was so embarrasing. i'm just glad the Knicks won as an 8-seed in '99 and the Warriors beat the Mavs as an 8-seed a couple years ago so we're not the only ones.

those 90s Sonics teams ruled the Seattle sports landscape and really dominated the whole league in the regular season for most of the decade.

Favorite

that has to be the best picture ever.

four things:
    [LIST=1][*]i can name everyone in this picture except for the guys standing next to walt hazzard in the back (i think it is tom meschery)[*]bob rule should have been on there before steve scheffler[*]i cant believe they put ewing in the front row![*]wheedle > squatch[/LIST]

Local High School Star

I almost forgot for a moment that Patrick Ewing played for Seattle lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    four things:
    [LIST=1][*]i can name everyone in this picture except for the guys standing next to walt hazzard in the back (i think it is tom meschery)[*]bob rule should have been on there before steve scheffler[*]i cant believe they put ewing in the front row![*]wheedle > squatch[/LIST]
    wow. true sonics fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    This thread is very deceiving for those who dont realize the Seattle Sonics dont exist.

Its the 30th Anniversary of Oklahoma City Thunder's Championship
    Sonics > your garbage team.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Man, Vinny Baker, what a sad story that turned out to be. And I'm pretty sure Slick Watts is the coolest basketball player that ever lived, even moreso than Clyde Frazier. Also, don't knock Scheffler, he was one of the best scorers in blowout garbage minutes ever!