Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: Is Michael Jordan one of the most well known athletes ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Maybe. Like I said, my perspective is rather small, and I can't really know what's going on in Europe/Brazil/Argentina that well, and if there are any statistics on the subject, they probably aren't that terribly accurate. I'd expect all around the world that They're all pretty equal though.
    May very well be. I don't know much about China and India in this regard, and there are 2 and a half billion people over there. I have to think Jordan is the most well known in China (after maybe Yao and Kobe being the 3rd) because there was virtually no media in China when Pele and Ali were big.

I'm not sure about India though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    May very well be. I don't know much about China and India in this regard, and there are 2 and a half billion people over there. I have to think Jordan is the most well known in China (after maybe Yao and Kobe being the 3rd) because there was virtually no media in China when Pele and Ali were big.

I'm not sure about India though.
    I know Cricket and field hockey is really popular in India, so there is probably some Cricket player who's the most well known athlete.

shhhhhhh

I know Cricket and field hockey is really popular in India, so there is probably some Cricket player who's the most well known athlete.
    i was amazed at how big cricket is worldwide, (other than the US)

it's like the second or third most popular sport

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    i was amazed at how big cricket is worldwide, (other than the US)

it's like the second or third most popular sport
    Yeah, most US sports aren't very popular except maybe Basketball, though it's not near as popular as Cricket, Soccer, and even field Hockey.

shhhhhhh

Yeah, most US sports aren't very popular except maybe Basketball, though it's not near as popular as Cricket, Soccer, and even field Hockey.
    just looking at some pics, they have some rockin cricket stadiums

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...w=1270&bih=664

NBA rookie of the year

Regardless of whether MJ is more popular or well-known than guys like Ali or Pele, did anyone actually consider how ABSURD the OP's question is? "Is Jordan one of the most well known athletes ever?" I mean, do you REALLY need to ask that?

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

That was Nike, not Jordan.

And I can see what you are getting at, I just disagree. In fact, soccer is WAAAAAAAAAAY more significant in the world than basketball is. And I don't even like soccer.
    Lol we have already been over this in this thread. How can you say it was Nike, not Jordan. Would air jordan exist without the existence of Michael Jordan? You make it sound like Jordan was some baller who was made famous by Nikes ability to publicize. In part that is true, but there is no way in hell Air Jordan would of become what it is if it wasn't for Jordans absolute excellence in the sport of basketball. Everyone knew what Jordan was about and that was getting a lot of Air and in general just dominating the game in every aspect.

Secondly, since when we were arguing about which game is bigger in the world? In fact that was my point, Soccer is much more popular than basketball in Australia and the world, YET IT IS JORDAN who stands head and shoulders above any other athlete in terms of recognition despite playing a sport that isn't totally popular and that is saying a lot. You can put it down to nike or whatever but the truth is Pele just doesn't compare.

i can let you know now, the only american sport people have an interest in around the world is NBA. not college bball.

take it from someone who has traveled the world quite a bit. sport popularity ranks like this:

Soccer

basketball
    formula 1 racing
    golf
    rugby
    cricket

baseball, alot of the world finds boring

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba
    i can let you know now, the only american sport people have an interest in around the world is NBA. not college bball.

take it from someone who has traveled the world quite a bit. sport popularity ranks like this:

Soccer

basketball
    formula 1 racing
    golf
    rugby
    cricket

baseball, alot of the world finds boring
    The Japanese are the only other country who are baseball crazy but they are pretty diverse in the amount of sports played. So is Australia i suppose we have a few baseball leagues over here.

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    The Japanese are the only other country who are baseball crazy but they are pretty diverse in the amount of sports played. So is Australia i suppose we have a few baseball leagues over here.
    the only thing about baseball currently in Australia is a kid that i got into a fight with 2 years ago, guy edmunds, that went to my school signed with the texas rangers.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    Michael Jordan was hyped and believe it or not, he's overrated, in terms of people saying he's the "undisputed" greatest of all time player. Nike and other products that he endorsed made his legacy in the world.

The reason why kids still know who he is because of his shoes. His shoes are being endorsed by other superstars and is keeping his name relevant.

MJ is very insecure where he wants his name out there till he dies, while other players like Magic, Bird and Kareem know what they meant to the game.

Ive been saying the same thing for years, but to the ish crowd its pure blasphemy. Jordan had a great vertical leap, but nike and gatorade come around and all of a sudden the guy can fly. Jordan was a great competitor but wheaties made him a legend.

ITs amazing what the right marketing and pr can do for a person.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I have no idea who the second guy is. He might be the biggest thing in his sport, I assume racing, but that doesn't mean he's more famous than lets say Kevin Garnette. And someone like Tiger, I don't think he would be known in certain 3rd world countries, unlike Jordan. (I'm sorry, but golf is just not going to have that appeal.) Jordan had the highest Q rating for sports figure in 2010, and he doesn't even play anymore. I recognized every other sports guy in the top ten list, that racing guy was not there.

As funny as it might sound F1 racing has got to be one of the most popular sports in Arab and Asian countries. Billions of people live there that's why I said Schumacher.
    Last edited by step_back; 10-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    Lol we have already been over this in this thread. How can you say it was Nike, not Jordan. Would air jordan exist without the existence of Michael Jordan? You make it sound like Jordan was some baller who was made famous by Nikes ability to publicize. In part that is true, but there is no way in hell Air Jordan would of become what it is if it wasn't for Jordans absolute excellence in the sport of basketball. Everyone knew what Jordan was about and that was getting a lot of Air and in general just dominating the game in every aspect.

Jordan has a very good case to have been the GOAT. Yet he is overrated. Yes, his excellence was needed to become what he bacame. On the other hand, he also arrived at the right time, right after Magic and Bird had rebuilt the league and the NBA started it's worldwide expansion as far as viewership is concerned. There was almost no media coverage besides the sports sections of US papers on the likes if Wilt, Russell or the big O. Kareem had little exposure on TV. Magic and Bird have never been part of huge international marketing campaigns. Nike and Jordan, along with the globalizing world in the very late 80s and early 90s were just the perfect match. In part, Jordan made Nike what it is. And in part, Nike made Jordan who he is. He may have been better than Bird or Magic, but definitely not by a landslide as people now trying to make us believe.

Secondly, since when we were arguing about which game is bigger in the world? In fact that was my point, Soccer is much more popular than basketball in Australia and the world, YET IT IS JORDAN who stands head and shoulders above any other athlete in terms of recognition despite playing a sport that isn't totally popular and that is saying a lot. You can put it down to nike or whatever but the truth is Pele just doesn't compare.

How many countries have you been to?

And the question at hand was most well known. In terms of recognition worldwide if you just hear the name, Pele beats Jordan, I'm sure. If you include a photo, Jordan may become the winner of the two, but Maradona wins over him by a pretty big margin. Australia, Canada, the UK and the US are not the whole world. May be the the only places on Earth relevant to you personally, but by no means the whole world. Altogether less than 500 million people. Europe alone has more, not to speak of Asia.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Not for the sake of arguing, but actually I'm pretty sure there is a higher percentage of the population of Brazil that knows who Pele was than people in the US know who MJ was. Or Maradona in Argentina is more well known as MJ is in the US.
    I live in Brazil and I can say that when I don't even remember the first time I heard of Pele. It's like I was born knowing who he was. I'd say there is no brazilian (without mental problems) who does not know who he is.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    Michael Jordan was hyped and believe it or not, he's overrated, in terms of people saying he's the "undisputed" greatest of all time player. Nike and other products that he endorsed made his legacy in the world.

The reason why kids still know who he is because of his shoes. His shoes are being endorsed by other superstars and is keeping his name relevant.

MJ is very insecure where he wants his name out there till he dies, while other players like Magic, Bird and Kareem know what they meant to the game.
    Keep dreamin' brother.